Allen Ezail Iverson
AI, The Answer, Mr. Crossover, Ivy
Hampton, Virginia, United States
Iverson went to Bethel High School where he competed as a quarterback, running back, kick returner and defensive back for the Bethel’s football team. Allen also performed as a starting point guard for the basketball team.
On February 14, 1993, at a bowling alley in Hampton, Virginia, Iverson was involved in an accident when he hit a woman with a chair in her head during a fight. Iverson who was 17 at the time, was arrested and sentenced to 15 years in prison which later was reduced by 10.
Eventually, Iverson received clemency by Douglas Wilder who was Virginia’s Governor and the Virginia Court of Appeals who repealed the conviction for as they said insufficient proofs. Because of the incident, Allen was forced to finish his senior year at Richard Milburn High School (A school for at-risk students).
After he finished high school, Allen was approached by the Georgetown University officials who offered him a full scholarship and a spot in the Georgetown Hoyas basketball team. Iverson accepted the offer having no other college option.
He played for the Hoyas’ during his freshman and sophomore years. Eventually, after his sophomore year was over, Allen decided to forgo his last two years at Georgetown and make himself eligible for the 1996 NBA Draft.
Professional Basketball Player (now retired)
- Father – Allen Broughton
- Mother – Ann Iverson
- Siblings – Brandy Iverson (Sister), Mister Allen Iverson (Brother), Iiesha Iverson (Sister)
Allen was signed with Leon Rose.
Point Guard / Shooting Guard
6 ft or 183 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Allen Iverson dated –
- Lisa Natson – In the past, Allen had fling with the female DJ Lisa Natson.
- Shawntae Harris (Da Brat) – Iverson had an encounter with the American female music artist Shawntae Harris in the past.
- Carmen Bryan – Allen was in a brief romance with the TV personality Carmen Bryan.
- Kenya Moore – In the past, Iverson was RUMORed to be dating Kenya Moore.
- Foxy Brown – Allen had fling with the American female rapper Foxy Brown in the past.
- Tawanna Turner (1991-2011) – In 1991, Iverson commenced dating Tawanna Turner. The couple spent 10 years together in a relationship before getting married on August 3, 2001. Allen and Tawanna’s romance lasted until 2011 when they filled divorce papers and decided to split. Together they are parents of Tiaura, Allen II, Isaiah (b. August 8, 2003), Messiah Lauren (b. August 15, 2005), and Dream Alijha (b. October 7, 2008).
- Ally Hilfiger (2003) – In 2003, AI dated American socialite Ally Hilfiger for a brief period.
Race / Ethnicity
- Crossover move
- Lean muscular body
- Cornrows, braid, afro hairstyle
- Often wore basketball sleeves, head band and other accessories while playing
Allen Iverson’s body specifications may be –
- Chest – 44 in or 112 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 15.5 in or 39.5 cm
- Waist – 31.5 in or 80 cm
11 (US) or 10.5 (UK) or 45 (EU)
Allen Iverson had signed an endorsement contract with Reebok and was seen in their print ads in 2005.
He has also appeared in TV commercials for NBA 2K, DAP Body Spray for Men, etc.
Iverson believes in God.
Best Known For
His toughness and passion for the game, his personality and character, his crossover and scoring ability.
Iverson will be remembered as one of the most influential players in the history of NBA, a player who achieved and was an 11 time NBA All-Star (2000-2010), NBA Rookie of the Year (1997), and NBA’s MVP (Most Valuable Player) in 2001.
First Basketball Match
Iverson had his NBA debut on November 1, 1996 in a match between Philadelphia 76ers against Milwaukee Bucks. Despite Allen’s great scoring performance where he scored 30 points, the 76ers lost the match by 8 with the final score being 111-103 for Milwaukee.
- Ball Handling (The crossover)
- Quickness, Agility, Speed, Vertical Jump
- Energy and Passion
- Scoring ability
- Clutch and Leadership
- Steals (Defense)
- More solo than a team player
- Strength and Size
Iverson first acted as himself in a family comedy movie Like Mike in 2002.
First TV Show
Allen first showed up in the TV series The Chris Rock Show as himself in 1998.
Allen Iverson was recognized for his passion and energy on the basketball court and not because of his work ethic. He had many confrontations with Philadelphia’s trainer Larry Brown about being late for training and not working hard enough. It is certain that Allen was not the hard working person such as many other NBA athletes and that’s why there is very little information about his workout routines.
However, during his time with the Denver Nuggets, there is one video of his exercise session with Nuggets’ strength and conditioning trainer Steve Hess. Watch it below –
Allen Iverson Favorite Things
- Spot in Turkey – T.G.I Friday’s
Source – Complex.com
Allen Iverson Facts
- The fighting incident he was involved in has been explored in the documentary movie No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson (2010).
- In his freshman year at Georgetown University, Iverson achieved the Big East Rookie of the Year award. He was also selected to the All-Rookie Tournament First Team.
- He was chosen as the 1st pick in the 1996 NBA Draft by the Philadelphia 76ers.
- Before the 1999 / 2000 NBA season, Iverson penned a new six-year contract worth 70 million dollars.
- He competed for the East at the 2000 NBA All-Star. That was his first All-Star appearance.
- Iverson once stated that Larry Brown (His coach at Philadelphia 76ers) was the best coach in the world.
- During the 2003-2004 season, there were many incidents between Iverson and 76ers trainer Randy Ayers. Allen missed a lot of practices and had lots of confrontations with the coach which led to Philadelphia’s worst record for the first time since 1997. The team also failed to reach a spot in the playoffs.
- On December 19, 2006, Allen got traded along with Ivan McFarlin to the Denver Nuggets in substitute for Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two first-round picks in the 2007 NBA Draft.
- On March 19, 2008, Allen shifted back to Philadelphia 76ers.
- On November 3, 2008, Iverson signed with the Detroit Pistons after he got traded for Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess, and Cheikh Samb.
- He signed a deal with the Memphis Grizzlies on September 10, 2009. However, Iverson played in only three games for the Grizzlies as he was released by the team.
- Allen again returned back to Philadelphia on December 7, 2009. He agreed to a non guaranteed deal worth 1.3 million dollars minimum salary for players who have minimum of 10 years of experience in the NBA.
- On October 26, 2010, Iverson penned a two-year deal with the Turkish TBL team Besiktas for a price of 4 million dollars.
- In January 2013, Allen was offered a spot in the Texas Legends team in the NBA D-League. Eventually, AI did not accept the offer.
- On October 30, 2013, Iverson officially retired from the game of basketball.
- His number 3 was retired by the Philadelphia 76ers in a halftime ceremony on March 1, 2014, during a game between the Sixers and Washington Wizards.
- He competed and won the gold medal as a member of USA’s World University Games Team in Japan in 1995.
- In the summer of 1997, Iverson was charged with possessing marijuana and for carrying a concealed weapon.
- In 2005, his bodyguard punched a man at Washington D.C. nightclub. He suffered a concussion, burst blood vessel in one of his eyes, torn rotator cuff, a ruptured eardrum and a lot of bruises and cuts.
- Check AI’s official website @ alleniverson3.net.
- Follow Iverson on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.