Benjamin McKenzie Schenkkan
Austin, Texas, United States
Ben McKenzie got his middle-level education from the St. Andrew’s Episcopal School in Austin. After that, he was enrolled at the Austin High School from where he graduated in 1997.
In 1997, he got admission in the University of Virginia and graduated in 2001 with a major in foreign affairs and economics.
- Father – Pieter Meade “Pete” Schenkkan (Attorney)
- Mother – Frances Victory Schenkkan (Poet)
- Siblings – Nate McKenzie (Younger Brother), Zack McKenzie (Younger Brother)
- Others – Robert F. Schenkkan (Paternal Grandfather) (Former Professor at the University of Texas at Austin), Robert Schenkkan (Paternal Uncle) (Playwright)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ben McKenzie has dated –
- Emily VanCamp (2004) – Ben McKenzie was reported to be dating actress Emily VanCamp in 2004. Although their publicists shot down reports of dating but the images leaked by numerous tabloids showed them kissing and getting cozy after a late night date.
- Amanda Loncar (2006-2007) – In 2006, Ben hooked up with television actress Amanda Loncar. Unlike his earlier relationship, Ben made no effort to hide this one as they were regularly pictured out and about.
- Shelley Hennig (2013) – Ben was spotted on a date with actress Shelley Hennig in September 2013. According to the reports, they had been set up by Paul Wesley and Phoebe Tonkin, who accompanied them for the double date.
- Nina Dobrev (2014) – After the Entertainment Weekly party held during Comic-Con event in 2014, Ben was pictured hugging Nina outside the party venue. After trying to evade reporters, they left in a single cab and were pictured getting comfortable in the back seat of the cab.
- Morena Baccarin (2015-Present) – Ben McKenzie started dating his Gotham co-star Morena Baccarin in September 2015. It was alleged that Morena was married to her ex-husband Austin Chick during their affair. In fact, in her divorce papers, she declared that she was pregnant and planning to marry McKenzie. On March 2, 2016, Morena gave birth to a daughter Frances Laiz Setta Schenkkan. Two weeks later, her divorce from ex-husband finally became official. In November 2016, they got officially engaged.
Race / Ethnicity
His body measurements may be –
- Chest – 44 in or 112 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 16 in or 41 cm
- Waist – 34 in or 86 cm
Ben McKenzie hasn’t done any brand endorsements yet.
His religious views aren’t known.
Best Known For
- Playing the role of Ryan Atwood in the hit TV series, The O.C.
- Portraying Ben Sherman in the Warner Bros crime series, Southland.
He made his film debut in the role of Johnny Johnsten in the comedy-drama film Junebug in 2005.
First TV Show
In 2002, Ben guest appeared in the CBS police drama series The District as Tim Ruskin.
His workout routine and diet plan aren’t available.
Ben McKenzie Favorite Things
- Food – BBQ and Mexican food
- Yogurt Flavor – Coconut Yogurt
- Action Stars – Clint Eastwood, Steve McQueen
- Batman Movie – Tim Burton’s Batman (1989)
- Travel Destination – Brazil
- Drink – Añejo tequila on ice
- Superhero – Batman
- Pie – Pecan Pie
- College Football Team – Texas Longhorns
Source – Reddit, US Magazine, Harper’s Bazaar
Ben McKenzie Facts
- Ben uses his middle name, McKenzie for his professional work to avoid getting confused with actor Ben Shenkman. McKenzie was also his paternal grandmother’s middle name.
- Ben McKenzie wanted to become a lawyer before starting his acting career. In between, he took several miscellaneous jobs including waiting tables in New York to keep himself afloat financially.
- While growing up, he used to work in choir in All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Austin.
- While studying at Austin High School, he used to play football and used to line up with star quarterback Drew Brees and even played against him later.
- McKenzie also holds the distinction of being the first actor to play Bruce Wayne / Batman and his ally Commissioner James Gordon.
- In early 2000s, he was ranked on the 5th position in the list of 100 sexiest men alive by the British newspaper Independent using online voting.
- In July 2005, he was among people in the list of “10 Hottest Bachelors Of Summer” by InStyle.
- When he auditioned for his breakthrough role in The O.C., he was selling tickets for a theater group called Center Theater Group in LA.
- He is a big fan of the graffiti artist, Banksy and follows him on Twitter.
- The first ever concert he attended was Paul Simon show.
- You can follow Ben McKenzie on Twitter and Instagram.