Roseau, Minnesota, United States
Garrett Hedlund got enrolled at the Horizon High School in Scottsdale, Arizona in the 10th grade after having moved in to live with his mother. He graduated from there a semester early to pursue acting.
During his high school, using money earned from waiter gigs, he used to take classes with acting teacher Jean Fowler. Fowler worked on his speech and dialogue delivery as well as helped him understand script material.
Actor, model, singer
- Father – Robert Martin Hedlund (Farmer and Wrestling Coach)
- Mother – Kristine Anne Yanish
- Siblings – Nathaniel Hedlund (Older Brother), Amanda Hedlund (Older Sister)
Garrett Hedlund is represented by Brillstein Entertainment Partners.
Country, country pop, blues
Vocals, guitar, violin
He has not signed with RCA Nashville, but his Country Strong (2010) songs were released via this record label.
6 ft 2½ in or 189 cm
91 kg or 201 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Garrett Hedlund has dated –
- Lindsay Lohan – Garrett Hedlund and actress Lindsay Lohan’s fling hasn’t been confirmed by either party. However, his name was there on the handwritten list prepared by Lindsay and containing names of 32 men, she had slept with. It was rumored that they hooked up while working in the comedy drama, Georgia Rule.
- Beau Garrett (2010) – Garrett had a brief tryst with American actress and model Beau Garrett in 2010.
- Rashida Jones (2010-2011) – Garrett went out with actress Rashida Jones for a couple of months starting from the end of 2010. They even celebrated New Year together at the star studded party at Marquee Nightclub in Las Vegas.
- Leighton Meester (2011) – Garrett started going out with actress and singer Leighton Meester after having worked together in Country Strong and also collaborated for a movie song.
- Kirsten Dunst (2011-2016) – Hedlund started dating English beauty Kirsten Dunst in 2011 while working with her in the movie, On the Road. Soon after, they moved in together and were pictured attending a number of red carpet events. Before they ended their relationship in 2016, it was also reported that they were going to get engaged.
- Diane Kruger (2016) – After being spotted on a casual date at SoHo neighborhood of New York in September 2016, it seemed that Garrett had quickly moved on from his break-up and was dating German actress and model Diane Kruger.
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, he is of Swedish descent and on his mother’s side, he has Norwegian and German ancestry.
- Deep Voice
- Blue Eyes
Garrett Hedlund’s body measurements may be –
- Chest – 44 in or 112 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 15 in or 38 cm
- Waist – 35 in or 89 cm
In his teens, he did some modeling work for the clothing and outdoor retail company, L.L.Bean, Inc.
In 2013, he signed an endorsement deal with Yves Saint Laurent to become the face of the men’s fragrance, La Nuit de L’Homme. See the ad below.
His religious views are unknown.
Best Known For
Starring in Tron: Legacy (2010) and Troy (2004).
Garrett Hedlund’s first music album was for the movie Country Strong, in which he recorded several songs along with the movie cast.
His first film appearance was in the historical epic Troy for his role as Patroclus in 2004.
First TV Show
Garrett Hedlund’s TV debut came in 2011 in When I Was 17 in 2011 as himself in episode #2.45.
To prepare for his role in Tron: Legacy, Garrett enlisted the help of Navy SEAL Logan Hood to build lean muscles and to shred body fat. Hood decided to ditch traditional weight training to help him get results faster.
The bodyweight exercises such as pushups, pull-ups, squats and sit-ups formed bulk of his workout. He was made to perform exercises in an intense circuit without any rest until all exercises were done. His workout regime also featured bear crawls, farmer’s walks, box jumps and tire drags.
Garrett Hedlund Favorite Things
His favorite things aren’t known.
Garrett Hedlund Facts
- Garret Hedlund’s parents divorced while he was a toddler. Till the age of 14, he lived with his father in a cattle farm in Minnesota before moving to Phoenix to live with his mother.
- Hedlund decided he wanted to become an actor after watching almost every movie available in the local movie store in Phoenix.
- In 2003, at the age of 18, he moved to Los Angeles and within two weeks of arrival, bagged the role of Patroclus in the Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom starrer, Troy.
- After he was signed up for a lead role in On the Road, he didn’t take any work due to his promise to movie director, which meant he didn’t work for 24 months due to delay in shooting.
- To prepare for his role of Dean Moriarty in On the Road, he read almost every book written by Jack Kerouac, whose work was adopted for the movie.
- While in high school, he was good in athletics and used to participate in ice skating, football, and wrestling.
- He is an avid outdoorsman and enjoys hunting.
- He turned down the role of Christian Grey in Fifty Shades of Grey (2015) which was eventually played by Jamie Dornan.
- He learned to play the violin, while shooting for Eragon movie in Slovakia.
- Garret turned down a chance to star as Captain America in Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) and as Peter Quill in Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).
- In 2006, he broke his arm in a snowboarding accident and had to skip the premiere of Eragon held in London.
- Garrett Hedlund is not present on the social media.