Kutaisi, Georgian SSR, Soviet Union
Katie attended St. Catherine’s Primary School in Northern Ireland. Subsequently, she went to Dominican College, Fortwilliam.
She completed her GCSEs from all-girls’ grammar school, Nonsuch High School in Cheam, Sutton.
Finally, she attended BRIT School for the Performing Arts in the London Borough of Croydon. She took BTEC with an A-level in music.
Singer, songwriter, musician
- Father – Amiran Melua (Doctor – Heart Specialist)
- Mother – Tamara Melua (Nurse)
- Siblings – Zurab Melua (Younger Brother) (Rock Musician)
- Others – Bob Willis (English former Cricketer)
She is signed to ATC Management.
Folk-pop, blues, jazz
Vocals, guitar, piano, violin
5 ft 1½ in or 156 cm
51 kg or 112½ pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Katie Melua dated –
- Luke Pritchard (2002-2005) – The two British singers Luke Pritchard and Katie Melua were romantically linked to each other from 2002 to 2005.
- James Toseland (2010-Present) – In 2010, she met former World Superbike racer James Toseland and started dating him. They engaged in January 2012 and married on September 1, 2012 in the Nash Conservatory at the Royal Botanical Gardens in London.
Race / Ethnicity
She has mainly Georgian ancestry, but is of partly Russian and Canadian descent.
Mezzo-soprano vocal range
34-25-35 in or 87-63.5-89 cm
4 (US) or 34 (EU)
Opel / Vauxhall (2010)
In 2009, she was announced as the face of french designer, Eric Bompard.
Georgian Orthodox Christian
Best Known For
Her songs and albums such as Call Off the Search (2003), Piece by Piece (2005), Pictures (2007), The House (2010), Secret Symphony (2012), Ketevan (2013) and others.
Katie released her debut album Call Off the Search on November 3, 2003 via Dramatico Records. It charted at #1 in UK and Denmark, #2 in Norway and Ireland and received the certification of 6x Platinum in UK, 2x Platinum in Germany, 3x Platinum in Denmark.
The album consisted of 12 tracks.
In 2007, she appeared in dark comedy / exploitation double feature film Grindhouse for her role as murder victim’s friend (segment “Don’t”).
She likes running and this is one of her ways to stay fit. Melua runs for three to four kilometers a day for three to four times in a week.
Katie Melua Favorite Things
- Songs – Jammin’ (By Bob Marley), Porcelain (By Moby), Suddenly I See (By K.T. Tunstall), Jesus To A Child (By George Michael), Life On Mars (By David Bowie), I Want To Break Free (By Queen), Where Do The Children Play (By Cat Stevens), Under The Bridge (By Red Hot Chili Peppers), I Can’t Give You Anything But Love (By Ella Fitzgerald)
- Beauty Products – Benefit Dallas Bronzer, L’Oréal eyeshadow, MAC brushes, Touche Eclat, La Prairie face creams
- Beautiful Women – Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Cate Blanchett, Penélope Cruz
Katie Melua Facts
- She likes to paraglide and hang glide.
- Katie is sometimes regarded as “adrenaline junkie” because of her liking of roller coasters and other fun fairs.
- She acquired British citizenship on August 10, 2005.
- Before she turned 21, she had three citizenships, viz, first Soviet, Georgian, and finally British (in order).
- She would like to have longer legs so that she could wear flats.
- Katie’s spouse James Toseland and brother Zurab are in a rock band, named, “Toseland”.
- Katie is fluent in English and understands Russian too. She is also fluent in Georgian, but cannot write songs in that language.
- At 8, she relocated to Northern Ireland and at 14, she moved to Britain.
- She started her musical career in 2003.
- In 2006, she became Europe’s highest selling European female artist, and UK’s best selling female artist.
- Since 2005, Katie had appeared in various soundtracks in the films.
- Visit her official website @ www.katiemelua.com.
- Hear more from Katie on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and YouTube.