Laura Elizabeth Dern
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Laura went to The Buckley School, Sherman Oaks, California.
Laura studied theatre at Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute in Manhattan, New York City.
She, then attended University of California, Los Angeles from which she dropped out just after two days of joining.
She was finally enrolled into University of Southern California, Los Angeles from which she again dropped out after completing a semester.
Actress, film director, producer
- Father – Bruce Dern (Actor)
- Mother – Diane Ladd (Actress)
- Siblings – Laura is the only child of her parents after her older sister’s death.
- Others – George Dern (Great-Grandfather) (Former Utah governor and Secretary of War), Archibald MacLeish (Great-Great Uncle) (Poet, writer, and Librarian of Congress)
Laura Dern is signed with Untitled Entertainment.
5 ft 10½ in or 179 cm
61 kg or 135 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Laura Dern dated –
- Treat Williams (1984-1985) – Laura dated her Smooth talk (1985) co-actor Treat Williams. They started seeing each other in 1984 and went around for about a year and in 1985, the duo parted their ways.
- Kyle Maclachlan (1985-1989) – She, then started dating Kyle Maclachlan whom she met during the filming of Blue Velvet (1986), they started dating in 1985 and after four years of relationship, they finally got separated in 1989.
- Renny Harlin (1991) – After splitting with Kyle, Laura, then dated briefly director and producer Renny Harlin in 1991.
- Vincent Spano (1992) – In 1992, actor, film director and producer Vincent Spano and Laura dated for couple of months.
- Jeff Goldblum (1995-1997) – Laura started dating Jeff Goldblum in 1995 after they co-starred in the movie Jurassic Park. They ended their relationship in 1997.
- Billy Bob Thornton (1997-2000) – She started seeing actor, writer, director, producer, singer-songwriter and musician Billy Bob Thornton in 1995. The couple was rumored about having been engaged to each other. But terminating all these, the couple separated in 2000.
- Ben Harper (2000-2013) – Laura met the musician Ben Harper at one of his concerts in 2000 and started dating. After their five years of dating, the couple got married on December 23, 2005 at their home in Los Angeles. They have two biological children together – Ellery Walker (son; born in 2001) and Jaya Harper (daughter; born in 2004). In 2010, Ben Harper filed for divorce. Yet the couple appeared together in Golden Globe Awards 2012. Their divorce was finalized in 2013.
Race / Ethnicity
Her skinny build
In 1989, she appeared in the print ads for The GAP clothing.
34-25-33 in or 87-63.5-84 cm
Best Known For
Her roles in the films like Mask (1985), Smooth Talk (1985), Blue Velvet (1986), Wild at Heart (1990), Rambling Rose (1991), Jurassic Park (1993) and the comedy drama TV series Enlightened (aired 2011-2013) where she played Amy Jellicoe for which she got a Golden Globe.
In 1973, Laura appeared in the action film White Lightning (starring her mother) for her cameo appearance as Sharon Anne.
First TV Show
She made her debut on television with the CBS crime drama 9-episodes series Shannon in 1981. She appeared in an episode titled “Gotham Swansong.”
For the perfect bikini body, Laura visits SoulCycle to get the spinning sessions.
Laura Dern Favorite Things
- Place – London
- Book – Pema Chödrön’s Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change
- Cinematographer – Emmanuel Lubezki
- Film – The Elephant Man (1980)
Laura Dern Facts
- Laura Dern is the youngest ever winner of Miss Golden Globe (1982).
- At the age of 13, she had to sue for emancipation on being objected by her mother for being present on the sets of the film Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Satin (1982). And subsequently she received emancipation.
- She used to often become a target of teasing by her classmates because of her height, and huge feet.
- Laura had a consequent backlash and did not work for more than a year after playing a lesbian in the ABC’s sitcom Ellen’s The Puppy Episode (1991), where she wheedles Ellen DeGeneres. She revealed this in The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
- She and her actor mother Diane Ladd have become the first mother daughter duo to be nominated together for The Academy Awards for their movie Rambling Rose (1991).
- In her initial years of her career, Laura Dern was roommates with the spiritual guru, lecturer and author Marianne Williamson.
- At the age of 7, while doing a passing appearance (as a child eating ice-cream) in Martin Scorsese’s Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore (1974), Laura ate 26 ice-cream cones for 26 takes.
- Some of her favorite directors, with whom she wants to work again are Clint Eastwood and Steven Spielberg.
- She was born at 7:48 am PST.
- Laura Dern would like to work with her father in the near future.
- The older sister of Laura, who was born in 1961, drowned at the age 18 months, years before Laura was born.
- She quit University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) just after two days of joining and University of Southern California, Los Angeles, after completing one semester.
- She left UCLA to do the movie Blue Velvet, which was released in 1986.
- In 2010, she received the 2420th star on Hollywood walk of fame, where her parents were also awarded with the stars.
- Her looks resembles with the former tennis player Steffi Graf.
- Follow Laura on Twitter.