Vera Mindy Chokalingam
Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S.
West Hollywood, California, U.S.
In 1997, she graduated from Buckingham Browne & Nichols School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
In 1998, she enrolled herself into Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Playwriting in 2001.
Actress, comedian, writer, executive producer
- Father – Avu Chokalingam (Architect)
- Mother – Dr. Swati Chokalingam (née Roysircar) (Obstetrician / gynecologist (OBGYN)) (Died of pancreatic cancer in 2012)
- Siblings – Vijay Jojo Chokalingam (Anti-affirmative action activist) (Older Brother)
She is signed to 3 Arts Entertainment.
Satire, improvisational comedy, stand-up comedy, sketch comedy
5 ft 4 in or 162½ cm
65 kg or 143 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Mindy Kaling dated –
- B.J. Novak (2005-2007) – Actor B.J. Novak and Mindy were an item for two years from 2005 to 2007.
- Benjamin Nugent (2008-2012) – Mindy started dating American writer Benjamin Nugent in April 2008, who is known for his novel American Nerd: The Story of My People. They split in 2012, after dating for 4 years.
Race / Ethnicity
Both her parents are Indian. Her dad is a Tamilian, while her mom is Bengali.
36-29-37 in or 86-74-94 cm
Mindy has appeared in numerous commercials including Nationwide Insurance (2015), American Express Credit Card (2015), Xfinity X1 Platform entertainment operating system (2013) and others.
She has appeared in American Express commercial.
Best Known For
Playing the main role as Kelly Kapoor in the NBC sitcom The Office. She appeared in a total of 174 episodes and besides acting, she was also an executive producer, director and writer.
Mindy debuted with 2005 comedy film The 40 Year Old Virgin for her role as Amy.
First TV Show
In 2005, Mindy appeared in HBO’s comedy series Curb Your Enthusiasm as Richard Lewis’s Assistant in just one episode titled “Lewis Needs a Kidney.”
She works out and goes to barre boutique classes. She shared about the same on Instagram.
She keep changing her workout routine and even does some running.
Mindy Kaling Favorite Things
- Food – Australian red licorice
- TV Show – The Walking Dead (2010-Present)
- Vacation – New York City
Source – Marie Claire
Mindy Kaling Facts
- Mindy can translate Latin language.
- Kaling in an enthusiastic slow jogger.
- She lost her mother in 2012 due to pancreatic cancer.
- She cites Conan O’Brien as her influence on her comedy career.
- While in Dartmouth College, she was a part of the improvisational comedy troupe, a cappella group, and a writer for the college’s humor magazine. She was really active.
- Just after completing college, Mindy worked as a production assistant for nearly three months, which is until now her one of the worst job experiences.
- Her parents first met at Nigeria when they both were working in the same hospital – her mom was a doctor there, and her dad was supervising the building of the wing.
- She is good friends with actor David Harris.
- She was the first female member when she joined The Office writing team at the age of 24.
- Paul Simon’s Graceland album makes her cry.
- Moodiness is her pet peeve.
- She cannot live without the Hopscotch coding app.
- She supports Pancan.org charity.
- She has a celebrity crush on Jon Stewart.
- She believes Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001) had the greatest ending.
- Her middle name has been taken from sitcom Mork & Mindy (1978-1982). Actually, her parents were in Nigeria, when Mindy was in her mother’s womb, and Mork & Mindy was the only American show, they got to see there in Nigeria.
- She was included in the list of Time Magazine’s “100 Most Influential People in the World” in 2013.
- Visit her official website @ theconcernsofmindykaling.com.
- Connect with Mindy on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.