Oprah Gail Winfrey
Oprah, O (Title of her world famous magazine too), The Preacher
Oprah Winfrey was born on 29 January, 1954
Oprah Winfrey was born in Kosciusko, a rural area of Mississippi, United States of America.
Oprah learnt to read from her grandmother before she was 3. She started her schooling from Lincoln High School and then moved to Nicolet High School after success in Upward Bound program. She finished her schooling at East Nashville High School, after she moved to live with her father at Nashville. She finished her education reading communication at Tennessee State University as a scholar student after winning an oratory contest.
American media proprietor, Actress, Activist, Author, Journalist, Philanthropist, Producer, Spokeswoman and Talk Show Host.
Oprah Winfrey was born to single teenage mother.
- Mother – Vernita Lee (Housemaid)
- Father – Vermon Winfrey (War Veteran)
- Grandmother - Hatti Mae Lee
- Siblings – Patricia (Half sister), Patricia (Half sister) and Jeffray (Half brother).
Oprah is her mother’s first child.
Peter Adamson, former Chief Investment Officer for billionaire Eli Broad, is the manager for her fortune.
Oprah Winfrey’s genre range varies from Talk show to Reality TV and continues to documentary as she got people’s attention mostly because of her work on TV shows.
Although Oprah doesn’t really plays an instrument, but people says that she is the one who knows the proper use of a MIC!
5 ft 6½ in or 169 cm
150 pounds or 68 kg
Boyfriend / Partner
- Anthony Otey – Oprah and Anthony had an affair in high school, which started in second year and ended on the Valentine’s day of senior year. She saved hundreds of love notes of their relationship.
- William ‘Bubba’ Taylor – Both get involved in relationship while studying at Tennessee State University. Both had a ‘To Die For’ relationship. William helped Oprah to get her first job at WVOL. The couple broke up after William moved from Nashville to Baltimore as he got a job at WJZ-TV.
- John Tesh - Oprah and John got into relationship in the 70s but the couple broke up as they were pressurised for having an interracial relationship.
- Lloyd Kramer – After John,Lloyd Kramer came to her life, but the relationship ended the same way it ended with William. Lloyd moved to NBC in New York and Oprah again got alone.
- Randoph Cook – Depressed Oprah, then met Randoph Cook, after which she became a drug addict. Their relation ended as Cook sued Oprah for 20 million dollars for blocking a book having details of the alleged relationship they shared.
- Robert Ebert – Oprah dated Robert E Robert the credit of her popularity as he was the one who advised her for taking her show into syndication.
- Revinald Chevalier – Oprah then got involved with Chevalier after his appearance as a guest on her show. The duo shared romantic dinners and candlelit baths together. This time Oprah ended the relation because she got attracted towards Stedman Graham.
- Stedman Graham – Oprah’s search for partner ended at Stedman. The duo have been together since 1986. Both got engaged in November 1992 but are yet to get married.
Oprah Winfrey’s personality has grown up so influencive that people believe in what she says. This thing can be well understood as she was one of the personalities who supported President Barack Obama during the election. Forbes World has titled her World’s Most Powerful TV Person. Additionally, she is the richest TV Celebrity in the world.
36-28-40 in or 91-71-102 cm
Oprah Winfrey has herself emerged as a brand in United States. She is the owner of ‘The Oprah Brand’. When recession hit the world, she launched ‘Oprah Organics’, ‘Oprah Harvests’ and ‘Oprah’s Farm’ trademarks under her brand. Oprah’s product list comprises salad dressing, frozen vegetables, massage oils, skin care products and hair sprays. She owns a publishing house through which she launches her magazine ‘O’. She have a website named after her ‘Oprah.com’. In 2006, she revealed her plans for her own radio channel ‘Oprah Radio’ by signing 3 year deal with XM Satellite Radio. In all, her net worth is around 2.7 billion dollars.
Best Known For
The Oprah Winfrey Show that ran nationally for almost 25 years (1986-2011)
First TV Show
People are talking, Channel WJZ’s local talk show. She was a co-host with Richard Sher.
The Color Purple, by Steven Spielberg. She was a co-star
playing the role of distraught housewife, Sofia.
Bob Greene, an American exercise physiologist and certified personal trainer.
Oprah’s Favorite Things
Oprah announces her favorite things every year. This year her favorite things are -
- Favorite soap – Lafco New York
- Favorite Gym Machine – Octane Fitness Q37ci Elliptical Trainer
And many more. The complete list is available on her website.
Oprah Winfrey’s Trivia
- She was the 1st African American woman to get listed on Forbes Billionaire List in 2003.
- She was ranked 1st for two consecutive years in 2007 and 2008 by Forbes magazine in the list of 100 Most Powerful Celebrities.
- Oprah’s real name was Orpah, but it got misspelled on her birth certificate.
- Winfrey was the youngest and 1st African-American female news anchor at WTVF-TV.
- She is first lady in history to produce and own her own talk show.
- She became pregnant at 14.
- She received an honorary National Book Award in 1999.
- Oprah, in May 2008, in order to detox her body, challenged herself to become a vegan.
- Oprah was awarded 1st ’50th Anniversary Medal’ by National Book Foundation in 1999.
- Oprah learnt to read before the age of 3.