Russell Ira Crowe
Wellington, New Zealand
Russell went to Vaucluse Public School in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney, and later to the Sydney Boys High School, the Auckland Grammar School, and the Mount Roskill Grammar School. Russell was also accepted into
Russell was also accepted into The National Institute of Dramatic Arts, Sydney.
Actor, producer, musician, director
- Father – John Alexander Crowe (Film Set Caterer and Hotel Manager)
- Mother – Jocelyn Yvonne Wemyss (Film Set Caterer)
- Siblings – Terry Crowe (Brother)
- Others – Stan Wemyss (Maternal Grandfather) (Cinematographer), John Doubleday Crowe (Paternal Grandfather), Martin Crowe (Cousin) (New Zealand Cricketer), Jeff Crowe (Cousin) (New Zealand Cricketer), Dave Crowe (Uncle) (New Zealand Cricketer), Don Spencer (Father-in-law) (Actor)
Russell Crowe is represented by William Morris Endeavor Entertainment. (via Variety.com)
Model 101 Records
5 ft 11½ in or 182 cm
92 kg or 203 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Russell Crowe has dated –
- Jamie O’Neal (1988) – Russell Crowe started going out with Australian singer and actress Jamie O’Neal after having worked in an Australian play. They went out for just a couple of months.
- Nicole Kidman (1989) – Crowe had a brief affair with another Australian actress Nicole Kidman after having met her on the sets of Flirting. She was cast in the movie, whereas he was a studio technician. Towards the end of her marriage to Tom Cruise, it was reported that she had again hooked up with Crowe.
- Danielle Spencer (1989-2012) – Russell started going out with actress Danielle Spencer in 1989 after having grown affectionate for her during the shooting of 1990 release, The Crossing. This was the start of a very on and off-relationship. After dating for some time, they decided to go separate ways as Russell wanted to move to the US, but Danielle wasn’t sure about it. They reconciled in 2001. Russell later claimed that he never stopped loving her. Almost two years after reconciliation, they got married in April 2003 at his ranch in Australia. In December 2003, she gave birth to a son, Charles Spencer Crowe, who was followed by younger brother Tennyson Spencer Crowe in July 2006. By October 2012, they had separated. The reports attributed Crowe’s busy schedule as a reason for the separation.
- Sharon Stone – Crowe hooked up with Basic Instinct star after having worked with her in the movie The Quick and the Dead. They went out for a couple of years before she moved on to the newspaper editor, Phil Bronstein.
- Jodie Foster (2000) – Crowe and actress Jodie Foster sent tabloids into frenzy after they walked the red carpet hand in hand at the 2000 Golden Globe awards. But it didn’t last long after it.
- Erica Baxter (2000) – Russell met Australian actress Erica Baxter while flying first class from Los Angeles to London. Apparently, they were checking each other during the flight and after being in the same customs line, Russell broke the ice by asking about the book she was reading. They were together for about 6 months before he dumped her for Meg Ryan.
- Meg Ryan (2000) – Russell hooked up with petite beauty Meg Ryan after having got smitten by her while working together in the movie, Proof of Life. The relation ended around the Christmas Eve.
- Peta Wilson (2000-2001) – Russell reportedly dumped Meg for actress and lingerie designer Peta Wilson as she felt the latter was less Hollywood and more down to earth. They appeared in the news after they were pictured making out at the party during New Year Eve in Australia.
- Courtney Love (2001) – Crowe got together for a night with musician and singer Courtney Love after looking up at the 2001 Golden Globe awards. However, both revealed later that nothing sexual happened that night and they only shared their pain with each other.
- Heather Graham (2001) – In July 2001, it was reported that the actor was going out with American actress Heather Graham. They had got together at the party he had hosted in New York City and by midnight, they were spotted holding hands.
- Jennifer Connelly (2002) – During 2002 Critics Choice Awards, Russell was seen cuddling with American actress Jennifer Connelly.
- Katie Lee (2012-2013) – Crowe overcame end of his marriage with Danielle Spencer by starting a relationship with food critic Katie Lee in December 2012. Their relationship became public after they were spotted cuddling in front of the fireplace in New York’s Greenwich hotel.
Race / Ethnicity
Russell is of English, German, Irish, Italian, Norwegian, Scottish, Swedish, and Welsh descent.
- Trimmed beard
- Gravelly voice
His body measurements like chest, waist and biceps measurements are unknown.
Russell Crowe has starred in TV commercials for-
- Time Warner Cable (TWC)
- ‘Call of Duty’ game
- Australian Tourism
- State Banks
- South Sydney Rabbitohs
He also gave a voiceover in the TV ad for Superbowl.
Best Known For
- Playing the role of Maximus Decimus Meridius in a historical drama, Gladiator (2000).
- Playing the role of Nobel Prize winner John F. Nash in the biographical movie, A Beautiful Mind (2001).
As a Singer
Russell Crowe has performed as part of various bands including 30 Odd Foot of Grunts and The Ordinary Fear of God.
He has also collaborated with individual artists such as Alan Doyle and Keith Urban.
Russell made his film debut with 1990 film Prisoners of the Sun in the role of Lt. Jack Corbett.
First TV Show
In 1987, Russell was seen in 4 episodes of the series Neighbours as Kenny Larkin.
To prepare for his famous role of gladiator, he shed about 50 pounds of fat by eating about 6 to 8 meals per day. These meals had a healthy helping of lean protein along with healthy fats and complex carbs. To curb his cravings and control his appetite, he chose high fiber vegetables and fruits.
He regularly hit the gym to get his body in perfect shape for the role. To speed up his fat burning process, he also worked at his ranch in Australia. In addition, he also undertook sword training.
Russell Crowe Favorite Things
- Hockey Team – Toronto Maple Leafs
- English Soccer Club – Leeds United AFC
- Role played by him – James J. Braddock in Cinderella Man (2005)
- Actor – Marlon Brando
- Living Actor (at the time of interview) – Daniel Day-Lewis
- Books – The Magus (By John Fowles), The Princess Bride (By William Goldman), The Alchemist (By Paulo Coelho)
Source – IMDb, Daily Mail
Russell Crowe Facts
- In June 2010, he had quit his smoking habit, which he had picked up at the age of 10. He was going through 60 cigarettes a day. He later relapsed to his smoking habit.
- He was director Oliver Stone’s first choice for the iconic lead role in the historical drama, Alexander but it didn’t work out due to unspecified reasons.
- In 2005, the Premiere magazine placed him on #49 in the list comprising of “Greatest Movie Stars of All Time” in the special feature, titled Stars in Our Constellation.
- In recognition of his contributions to Australian film production and society, he was honored with the Australian Centenary Medal in New Year’s honors list.
- As per his interview with GQ magazine in March 2005, Crowe was informed by the FBI agents prior to 2001 Academy awards that the infamous terrorist group Al-Qaeda wanted to kidnap him.
- In 2002, he was reported to have involved in a scuffle with New Zealand businessman Eric Watson at a Japanese restaurant in London.
- In March 2006, he joined hands with businessman Peter Holmes to acquire 75% stake in the NRL club South Sydney Rabbitohs.
- In 2002, Premiere magazine included him at #28 in the yearly “Power 100” list.
- He was offered a role of Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. However, he turned down the role as the shooting would conflict the schedule for biographical drama, A Beautiful Mind (2001).
- In June 2005, the New York police authorities arrested and then charged Crowe with a second-degree assault for having thrown a telephone at the concierge at the hotel, he was staying in.
- Follow Russell on Twitter.