Uma Karuna Thurman
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
Uma went to an elementary school in Almora, Uttarakhand, India. Then, she attended Amherst Regional Middle School in Massachusetts.
She also went to Massachusetts based preparatory school, Northfield Mount Hermon School. Uma dropped out from that to focus fully on her acting career.
- Father – Robert Alexander Farrar Thurman (Professor, Buddhist writer and academic)
- Mother – Nena von Schlebrügge (Mexican Model turned psychotherapist)
- Siblings – Dechen Thurman (Brother) (Actor), Ganden Thurman (Brother), Mipam Thurman (Brother) (Model), Taya Thurman (Older Half-Sister)
She is signed to 2b Management.
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
64 kg or 141 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Uma Thurman dated –
- Phil Joanou (1989) – Film director Phil Joanou and Uma Thurman dated each other for couple of months in 1989. He is 8 years her senior. She left him for Gary Oldman.
- Robert Plant (1989) – In 1989, she was RUMORed to had fling with English musician, Robert Plant. He is 22 years her senior.
- Gary Oldman (1989-1992) – English actor, Gary Oldman started dating Thurman in July 1989 after meeting her on the set of State of Grace. They married on October 1, 1990. They split after one and a half years in February 1992. Their divorce was finalised on April 30, 1992. There is 12 years of age difference between them, with Thurman being 12 years his junior.
- Robert De Niro (1993) – In 1993, actors Robert De Niro and Uma Thurman were filming “Mad Dog and Glory” together and were RUMORed to be dating at the same time. He is also nearly 27 years her senior.
- Timothy Hutton (1995-1996) – In February 1995, actors Timothy Hutton and Thurman met each other on the set of 1996 movie Beautiful Girls. They dated for quite some time from March 1995 to January 1996.
- Mick Jagger (1996) – British musician, Mick Jagger and Thurman had an encounter in January 1996, when they met at Viper Room Club. Mich was again about 27 years her senior.
- Richard Gere (1996) – This time Uma dated yes another actor, Richard Gere, who is 21 years older than her. They dated in January 1996.
- Ethan Hawke (1996-2005) – In February 1996, she started dating actor Ethan Hawke after meeting him on the set of “Gattaca” (1997). They married, after two years of dating on May 1, 1998. She was 7 months pregnant at the time of wedding. After five years of successful marriage life, the duo split in 2003. Their divorce was finalised in August 2005. She gave birth to couple’s first child, daughter Maya Ray in 1998, and second child, son Levon in 2002.
- André Balazs (2004-2007) – After splitting with Ethan Hawke in 2003, Thurman started dating Hungarian hotelier Andre Balazs in 2004. They lived together in New York loft apartment. This relationship also saw an end in March 2006.
- Arpad Busson (2007-2014) – This time she started dating London-based French financier Arpad Busson in June 2007 and got engaged to him in June 2008. Subsequently, in late 2009, they split. But, reconciled later. This relationship produced a daughter named, Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence Thurman-Busson (nickname Luna), who was born in 2012. They finally called off the engagement in April 2014.
- Quentin Tarantino (2014-Present) – Since May 2014, Uma is dating another film director, Quentin Tarantino. They are long time friends.
Race / Ethnicity
She has German, Swedish and Danish ancestry on her mother’s side.
- Big Blue Eyes
- Her Face
- Statuesque, model-like figure
- Husky voice
- Her Smile
37-25-36 in or 94-63.5-91.5 cm
6 (US) or 36 (EU)
she appeared in TV commercials for Lancôme’s Miracle (2001), Schweppes (2011), Virgin Media (2007), Alfa Romeo ‘Giulietta’ (Italy) car (2010).
Uma had also appeared in print ads for Louis Vuitton, Tag Heuer Swiss watches and others.
She had Buddhist upbringing due to her dad being a Buddhist.
She is now an agnostic.
Best Known For
Playing Dr. Pamela Isley / Poison Ivy in the Batman & Robin (1997), Mia Wallace in Pulp Fiction (1994), and Emma Peel in The Avengers (1998).
She appeared in 1987 neo-noir psychological thriller film Kiss Daddy Goodnight for her role as Laura.
First TV Show
In 2000, Thurman narrated in The Learning Channel’s documentary and biography program Great Books in an episode titled “Les Miserables.”
Uma Thurman started training for Kill Bill movie after three months of giving birth to her child. It was not easy to start working out so early. The new mom did many types of training like kung fu, sword fighting, knife throwing, and hand-to-hand combat to prepare for her role of Beatrix Kiddo / The Bride. She took the help from personal trainer, Christel Smith and worked out 6 days in a week to prepare for the role.
She had tried macrobiotic diet in the past. She eats generally 5 times in a day. Her sample diet plan is as follows –
- Breakfast – Omelet with veggies
- Snack – Whole grain toast along with peanut butter
- Lunch – Cobb salad
- Snack – Vegetable potstickers
- Dinner – Soy lasagna
Uma Thurman Favorite Things
Uma Thurman Facts
- Uma supports United States Democratic Party.
- Uma’s dad is a Buddhist and Dalai Lama supporter. So, along with her complete family, Uma has lived in Almora, Uttarakhand, India. Primarily, she was raised in Amherst, Massachusetts, USA.
- Uma Thurman’s first name “Uma” is one of the alternative names of Hindu goddess Parvati. It means “light” in Sanskrit.
- She first started her career as a model at the age of 15.
- When Uma was 10, she was suggested to have nose job by her friend’s mom.
- During school, she was teased by her classmates for being introvert, tall body frame, unusual name, and an angular bone structure.
- When she was in eighth standard, she discovered that she wanted to become an actress.
- In Polynesian, her name means “kiss.”
- Uma is the former sister-in-law of Laila Morse.
- By the age of 13, she grew 5 ft 10 inch.
- Thurman was born at 1:51 PM (EDT).
- For the 2007 movie, “Knocked Up”, she was offered the role of Alison Scott, but she turned down it. It was then offered to Katherine Heigl and she accepted it.