Zinedine Yazid Zidane
Zidane’s educational background is not known.
Former professional footballer
- Father – Smail Zidane (Nightwatchman and warehouseman at a department store)
- Mother – Malika Zidane (Homemaker)
- Siblings – Lila Zidane (Sister), Farid Zidane (Brother), Madjid Zidane (Brother), Nourredine Zidane (Brother)
- Others – Jonathan Zidane (Cousin)
Zidane is signed with Alain Migliaccio.
6 ft 0¾ in or 185 cm
80 kg or 176 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Since May 28, 1994, Zidane is married to Veronique Zidane. Together they have 4 children Enzo (b. March 24, 1995), Luca (b. May 13, 1998), Theo (b. May 18, 2002), and Elyas (b. December 26, 2005).
Race / Ethnicity
Zidane is of Algerian Kabyle Berber descent.
- Chest – 40 in or 102 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 13.5 in or 34 cm
- Waist – 30.5 in or 78 cm
10.5 (US) or 44 (EU)
The popular Zizou has taken a part in TV commercials for Adidas (2000, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2015, 2016), Foot +, Assicurazioni Generali S.P.A insurance (2006), Visa, Grand Optical, Luis Vuitton, etc.
He has signed endorsement contracts with Lego, France Telecom, Audi, Volvic.
It is good to mention that Zidane was Christian Dior’s first male model.
In 2010, he has also appeared in print ads for Louis Vuitton deluxe luggage.
Non practicing Muslim
Best Known For
Zidane is widely known as one of the best footballers that have ever played this sport. He is recognized for his rarely seen qualities such as great vision, ball technique and great scoring skills with both legs.
Zinedine will also be remembered for his achievements as a footballer, winning numerous titles including Champions League, La Liga, Serie A, a World Cup and European Cup titles with the national team of France.
It is worth to mention that Zidane won the Ballon d’Or for best European Player of the Year (Nowadays known as FIFA Ballon d’Or).
First Football Match
On May 18, 1989, Zinedine debuted for Cannes in a match against Nantes.
He played his first official match for the French national team on August 17, 1994 against the Czech Republic. Zidane scored twice in his team’s 2-2 draw.
As a coach, Zidane led Real Madrid on January 9, 2016 in a 5-0 success over Deportivo La Coruna.
As an active footballer, Zidane had these qualities –
- Ball control (Technique)
- Long Shots
Zidane had no weaknesses as a player.
In 2008, Zidane played as Numérodis in the movie Asterix at the Olympic Games. It was his first movie as an actor.
He was already seen in numerous TV movies, and documentaries before that. In 2007, Zinedine appeared as himself in sports film Goal II: Living the Dream.
First TV Show
Other than football matches itself, Zizou appeared in the TV Series Gomorron in 1998 as himself.
Zidane’s workout and diet programs are not known.
Zinedine Zidane Favorite Things
Zinedine Zidane Facts
- Zinedine’s parents shifted to Paris (in France) from a region called Kabylie in northern Algeria in 1953.
- In the mid-1960’s, Zidane’s family again changed their living place, this time settling in Marseille (in France).
- As a kid, Zizou idolized players such as Blaz Sliskovic, Enzo Francescoli, and Jean-Pierre Papin.
- He started playing football at the age of five with a group of children on a football court in the neighborhood he lived in.
- When he was 10, Zidane received a licence and joined a team named US Saint-Henri. He spent a year and a half in the club before he transferred to SO September-les-Vallons.
- Zidane was spotted by AS Cannes’ agent when he attended a three-day camp at the Regional Centre for Sports and Physical Education (CREPS), a football institution ran by the French Football Federation. At the time, Zizou was 14 years old.
- When Zidane first went to AS Cannes, he planned on staying for six weeks, but eventually six weeks turned into four years and a playing spot in the senior team.
- At AS Cannes, many times, Zinedine was bullied because of his race and family which led him to being angry and sensitive. However, his trainer at the time, Jean Varraud taught him how to control and express his anger on the football pitch.
- He scored his first professional goal for AS Cannes on February 10, 1991. He was given a car as a present by Cannes’ director Alain Pedretti after a promise he made once Zidane scores a goal for his team.
- Zidane joined Girondins de Bordeaux before the start of 1992-1993 season.
- In 1996, Zizou was named Ligue 1 Player of the Year.
- In 1998, Zidane was selected for the FIFA World Player of the Year award.
- In 2001, Zinedine transferred to the Spanish Primera Division team Real Madrid for a price of 75 million euros in a four-year deal.
- On April 26, 2006, Zizou stated that after the 2006 World Cup in Germany, he would retire from professional football.
- On May 7, 2006, Zidane played his last professional match against Villarreal. During the match, his teammates wore shirts with the words “ZIDANE 2001-2006” and 80,000 Madrid’s fans held up a banner with the words “Thanks for the magic”.
- Despite Zidane already had Algerian and French citizenship, he couldn’t play for the Algerian senior team because he had already competed for France.
- He won the 2006 World Cup with France.
- In 2001, Zizou was selected as a new UN Goodwill Ambassador.
- In 2013, Zidane was hired as a new assistant trainer to Carlo Ancelotti in Real Madrid.
- In 2014, he was placed as the new manager of Real Madrid Castilla (Madrid’s B team).
- On January 4, 2016, Real Madrid displaced Rafa Benitez and named Zinedine, the new head coach of the team. He signed a two-and-a-half-year contract.
- After winning the 2015-2016 UEFA Champions League with Real Madrid, Zizou became the seventh man and first French coach to achieve a UEFA Champions League title both as a player and a manager.
- He is a national hero in France.
- He captained the French national team during numerous events.
- Follow Zidane on Instagram.