|Astronautalis Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||December 13, 1981|
Astronautalis is an American rapper and producer. He self-released his debut album, You and Yer Good Ideas, in 2003, and re-released it through Fighting Records in 2005, followed by his 2nd album titled The Mighty Ocean and Nine Dark Theaters (2006). He has also released studio albums such as Pomegranate (2008), This Is Our Science (2011), and Cut the Body Loose (2016).
Charles Andrew Bothwell
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
- Father – He worked in the railway industry.
- Mother – “Suz” Bothwell
- Siblings – Jack Bothwell (Brother)
- Others – Nicole Bothwell (Sister-in-Law). He also has a niece. His grandfathers were test pilots, sailors, and spies.
Astronautalis is represented by –
- Model Citizens (Manager)
- Riverwood Booking (Booking) in the United States and Canada
- Cabin Artists (Booking) in the United Kingdom and Europe
- Silver Rocket (Booking) in the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- NO EARBUDS! (Publicist) in Los Angeles, California, United
Hip-Hop/Rap, Alternative Hip-Hop, Electronic, Southern Blues, Historical Fiction Hip-Hop, Indie Rock
- Fake Four Inc.
- Eyeball Records
- Fighting Records
- Limited Fanfare Records
- Cargo Records
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Astronautalis married his girlfriend on August 10, 2016.
Race / Ethnicity
- Beautiful eyes
- Multiple tattoos
Astronautalis Favorite Things
- Country In The United States – Florida
- Rapper In Wu-Tang Clan – Ghostface Killah
- Rapper – GZA
- Album By Ghostface Killah – The Pretty Toney Album (2004)
- Album By GZA – Liquid Swords (1995)
Source – HipHopBlog.co.uk, Instagram
- He is a descendant of James Hepburn, (c. 1534–1578), 4th Earl of Bothwell, and 1st Duke of Orkney. This connection sparked his interest in writing lyrics that deal with historical fiction.
- His mom ran away from home at the age of 17 to become a photographer.
- His uncle was a poet and lived off hitchhiking and horse betting.
- Astronautalis departed on his 1st tour in 2003, right after he self-released his debut album. Just before he left, he took a picture on his “crappy old phone” to always have a memory of that moment.
- He has collaborated with artists/groups such as Babel Fishh, Jason Feathers, Maxx Moon, Tegan and Sara, and Justin Vernon.
- He has founded a group titled Four Fists with rapper P.O.S, and Boyfrends Inc. with one of his best friends, rapper Bleubird.
- His sound, described as alternative hip hop, has also been described as “blending indie rock, electro, and talkin’ blues with hip-hop”.
- He has a habit of performing freestyle rap based on topics, typically around 5, chosen by the audience during live performances. Astronautalis credits a rapper named Supernatural for doing something similar before him.
- One of his favorite phrases is “oltre la morte,” which translates to “beyond death.” There was also an Italian movie of the same name, released in 1912.
- Up until the release of his 5th studio album, Cut The Body Loose (2016), he toured as a one-man show. It was also his most aggressive album and the most autobiographical album. The name stems from an aspect of traditional jazz music from New Orleans, Louisiana, also known as “jazz funerals.”
- His hobbies include photography, swimming, hiking, and riding powerful motorcycles. Astronautalis also worked with Relic Kustoms to build a custom Yamaha YZ450f motorbike for himself.
- Besides drinking typical medicine against the common cold, Astronautalis always eats bananas, oranges, and drinks orange juice to get back on his feet faster.
- Sundays are always “spa” days for him and his wife.
- One of his quotes ended up in a book Guts & Glory: The American Revolution by Ben Thompson, released in May 2017.
- Astronautalis once promised he’d perform at his friends’ wedding in New Orleans, Louisiana. Even though Hurricane Katrina destroyed the city, he and his manager drove for hours in a mini-van without GPS because the couple didn’t want to back out. The opening of his song Running Away From God is inspired by this event.
Featured Image by Megan Thompson / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0