|Barry Gibb Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||September 1, 1946|
Barry Gibb is a British-American singer, songwriter, record producer, and musician who is best known for being the co-founder of the pop music group Bee Gees that was formed in 1958. He rose to fame shortly after co-founding the group which he founded alongside his two younger brothers, Robin Gibb and Maurice Gibb. At that time, Bee Gees was among the most commercially successful groups in the history of pop music. Before the group’s debut, Barry made a songwriting partnership with his brothers which first started in 1955. Before fame, he was first introduced in Skiffle, a music genre with jazz, blues, and American folk genres that would often use the combination of homemade or improvised instruments. He formed his first band, The Rattlesnake in 1955 which evolved into becoming the Bee Gees in 1960. Even before he was drawn to music, Gibb was born with pure talent in singing.
He is known for his far-reaching high-pitched falsetto vocals as a singer, which also turned out to be one of the factors why Gibb has quickly gained respect and reputation from his fellow artists in the music industry. Barry shares the record with chart-topping artists John Lennon and Paul McCartney for hitting the no.1 spot of Billboard Hot 100 in a row. He had also been recognized as the 2nd most successful songwriter in history by the Guinness World Records list, placing him next to Paul McCartney. In 1994, Gibb and his brothers were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame and in 1997, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Bee Gees and received the Brit Award for the category of “Outstanding Contribution to Music”. Gibb was also ranked no. 38 by Q magazine for its “100 Greatest Singers” list.
Barry Alan Crompton Gibb
Douglas, Isle of Man, United Kingdom
- Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, England
- Miami, Florida, United States
He started attending Braddan school on September 4, 1951. A year after that, Gibb and his family moved to 43 Snaefell Road, Willaston, and lived there for 2 years. On that same year, he went to Tynwald Street Infants School and on his 7th birthday in 1953, Gibb got enrolled in Desmesne Road Boys School.
Singer, Songwriter, Musician, Record Producer
- Father – Hugh Gibb (Drummer)
- Mother – Barbara Gibb
- Siblings – Lesley Evans (Older Sister), Robin Gibb (Younger Brother) (Musician), Maurice Gibb (Younger Brother) (Musician)
- Others – Hugh Gibb (Paternal Grandfather), Edith Yardley (Paternal Grandmother), Ernest Pass (Maternal Grandfather), Nora Lynch (Maternal Grandmother)
Barry Gibb is represented by –
- Middle Ear, Inc., Hallandale Beach, Florida, United States
- Gibb Brothers Music, Ltd., London, England, United Kingdom
Pop, Rock, Disco, Country
- Atco Records
- MCA Records
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Barry Gibb has dated –
- Maureen Bates (1966-1970) – Gibb got married to his first wife Maureen Bates on August 22, 1966, and, he was only 19 years old at the time. Following 4 years of marriage, the former beaus decided to call it quits and got officially divorced in July 1970.
- Linda Gray (1970-Present) – A few months after his divorce with Bates, Gibb married his 2nd wife, former Miss Edinburgh, Linda Gray, whom he first met during the taping of BBC’s Top of the Pops in London. They have 5 children together – 4 sons named Stephen (b. 1973), Ashley (b. 1977), Travis (b. 1981), Michael (b. 1984), and a daughter named Alexandra (b. 1991), all of whom they had 7 grandchildren with.
Race / Ethnicity
He has English, Irish, and Scottish ancestry.
Due to his advancing age, his hair has turned ‘Gray’.
- Round Face
- Downward Pointed Nose
- Thin Lips
Best Known For
- Being the co-founder of the group Bee Gees
- His outstanding contributions as an artist in the music industry
- Being regarded as one of the greatest singers of all time
As a member of the Bee Gees, he released his first album titled The Bee Gees Sing and Play 14 Barry Gibb Songs in November 1965.
As a solo artist, he released his first album titled Now Voyager in September 1984 which included singles such as Shine, Shine and Fine Line.
In 1978, he made his theatrical film debut as Mark Henderson in the comedy film Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.
First TV Show
In 1963, he made his TV show debut as “Himself” on Country and Western Hour.
Barry Gibb Facts
- He was appointed as a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2002 New Year Honours for services to music and entertainment.
- He was appointed as the Knight Bachelor in the 2018 New Year Honours for services to music and charity.
- Gibb was friends with the late Michael Jackson, who also turned out to be the godfather of his son Michael.
- Gibb purchased the former home of country singers Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash in Hendersonville, Tennessee in January 2006, with the intention to restore the house and transform it into a songwriting retreat. However, the house was destroyed by fire on April 2007 while it was under renovation.
- In 2009, Gibb and his wife officially became U.S. citizens.
- On June 25, 2019, he was listed by The New York Times magazine as among the hundreds of artists whose material was reportedly destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire.
- His inspirations when he was with the band Rattlesnakes were Tommy Steele, The Mills Brothers, The Everly Brothers, Paul Anka, and Cliff Richard.
- Bee Gees’ contribution to the 1977 film Saturday Night Fever helped the film’s soundtrack surpass the 40 million mark in sales.
- In August 1983, he was signed to the MCA Records for North America for a few million dollars multi-album deal.
- Bee Gees was among the few groups in pop history to write, produce, and record 6 straight no. 1 hits.
- In addition to Gibb’s legacy as a member of Bee Gees, the group earned a total of 16 Grammy nominations and 9 Grammy wins.
- Gibb’s solo tracks were recorded by a number of artists including Ronnie Burns, Lou Reizner, Samantha Sang, P.P Arnold, and Jerry Vale.
- He has produced albums for top artists such as Barbara Streisand, Dionne Warwick, Andy Gibb, Kenny Rogers, and Diana Ross.
- Visit his official website @ barrygibb.com.
- Connect with Barry Gibb on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Entertainment Tonight / YouTube