Lonnie Rashid Lynn Jr.
Common, Common Sense, The Red
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Common went to Luther High School South in Chicago.
Common also attended Southern University and A&M College in Louisiana, and Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University in Tallahassee, Florida to major in business administration.
Rapper, actor, poet
- Father – Lonnie Lynn (Former ABA basketball player, Youth Counselor)
- Mother – Dr. Mahalia Ann Hines (Educator)
- Siblings – Unknown
Common is signed with Think Common Entertainment.
Hip hop / rap
Artium, Def Jam, Think Common, Universal, MCA Records, Relativity, GOOD, Geffen, Warner Bros.
6 ft 0½ in or 184 cm
84 kg or 185 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
Common dated –
- Karrine Steffans (1999) – In 1999, he had a fling with author Karrine Steffans, who is famous for the Vixen series of books.
- Erykah Badu (2000-2002) – From 2000 to 2002, he was romantically linked with singer-songwriter Erykah Badu.
- Taraji P. Henson (2005-2007) – In October 2005, he started dating actress Taraji P. Henson after they met during the filming of the music video of “Testify.” The relationship went until February 2007.
- Kerry Washington (2007) – Actress Kerry Washington and Common dated for a short time in 2007 when she directed Common’s music video “I Want You.”
- Serena Williams (2007-2010) – From 2007 to 2010, world’s #1 tennis player, Serena Williams and Common were an item.
Rapper Common has one daughter, named, Omoye Assata Lynn, born in 1997.
Race / Ethnicity
- Bald head with full beard and mustache.
- Freckles on the face
Common’s body specifications may be –
- Chest – 44 in or 112 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 16 in or 41 cm
- Waist – 35 in or 89 cm
His shoe size is not known.
He did modeling for Gap clothing in 2006.
Common promoted New Era’s Layers fitted caps in 2007.
He has appeared in TV commercials for Lincoln Navigator (2008), Microsoft’s Zune (2008), NBA 2K8 (2008), Diesel’s new fragrance called “Only The Brave.”
In January 2011, his song “Be (intro)” was featured in a BlackBerry commercial.
Best Known For
His albums and tracks such as “Glory,” “Universal Mind Control,” “Go!,” “The Light,” etc.
On October 6, 1992, he released his debut album entitled Can I Borrow a Dollar? via Relativity Records. It peaked at #70 in US Hip Hop albums.
In 2002, he had a cameo appearance in the romantic comedy film Brown Sugar as himself.
First TV Show
In 2003, Common guest appeared in the sitcom Girlfriends for his role as Omar in one of the episodes.
Rapper Common was earlier a meat eater. He stopped eating pork (pig’s meat) in 1992, beef (cattle’s meat) in 1995, and chicken in 1995. He is a pescetarian now.
Common also works out. He never gives up exercising. Minimum four days in a week is his schedule. Sometimes, he spends 5 days in a week for exercising. Quaison Dodd is the trainer under the guidance of whom, he exercises.
Common Favorite Things
- Food – Fish tacos, shrimp tacos, French fries, pizza
- Drink – Red wine, sangria
- Nighttime Snack – Rice milk, Gluten-free chocolate-chip cookies
- Fetish – Pinching cheeks
- Female Body Parts – Eyes, thighs, lips
- New Yorker – Jean-Michel Basquiat
- Medication – Writing as well as looking at water
- Cuisine – Soul. He also likes Mexican food.
Source – Inquisitr, NYMag, Men’s Fitness
- Common grew up in the Calumet Heights neighborhood of Chicago.
- When Common was just six years old, his father relocated to Denver, Colorado because of divorce.
- During his teenage years, Common worked as a ball boy for the basketball team, Chicago Bulls. His dad helped him in getting this job.
- He earlier used to release music under the stage name “Common Sense,” but in 1995, he changed it to “Common” as another band (a ska band) sued him for using that name.
- He gives money to panhandlers, especially in New York, where he finds the boldest and most creative panhandlers.
- When he was in high school, he formed a music group with his two other friends called Trio.
- He has appeared in several music videos including “Homecoming” by Kanye West.
- Common launched his own clothing line “Softwear” in collaboration with technology giant Microsoft in December 2008.
- He supports PETA and has appeared in their print ad.
- Common was previously a vegan, but now, he is a pescetarian (one who eats fish and other seafood apart from vegan stuff).
- He dislikes cheese and macaroni.
- He is the founder of non-profit organization, “Common Ground Foundation.”
- Common is a big fan of the basketball team, Chicago Bulls and American football team, Chicago Bears.
- Common cites Jungle Brothers, Gil Scott-Heron, Last Poets, and Stevie Wonder as his music influencers.
- Visit Common’s official website @ www.thinkcommon.com.
- Hear more from Common on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, YouTube VEVO, Instagram, Google+, and iTunes.