|Declan Donnelly Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||September 25, 1975|
Declan Donnelly is an English actor, singer, rapper, TV presenter, producer, and comedian, best known as one half of the presenting duo, Ant & Dec, formerly known as PJ & Duncan, alongside Anthony McPartlin. They 1st came to prominence after they appeared in a family drama TV series, Byker Grove (1989-1992). The two also presented TV shows such as SM:TV Gold (1998-2003), I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! (2002-2018), Ant & Dec’s Push the Button (2010), Britain’s Got Talent, starting in 2007, and Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway, starting in 2002. He has also appeared in the role of a presenter or a host in TV shows such as Pop Idol (2001-2003), Gameshow Marathon (2005), Poker Face (2006), I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here! NOW! (2008-2014), Loose Women (2008-2017), and Red or Black (2011-2012).
Declan has also appeared in guest roles of Biker 3 in the TV series Harry (1993) and borrowed his voice to Engie Benjy in the TV series of the same name that ran in 2002. He also starred in 2 notable movies, 1st of which was the 2003 romantic comedy, Love Actually. 3 years later, he played the role of Ray Santilli in the comedy, sci-fi Alien Autopsy, which was a comedic reconstruction of the fake documentary, The Alien Autopsy (1995). As a singer and part of a pop duo PJ & Duncan, later Ant & Dec, Declan released 3 studio albums titled Psyche (1994), Top Katz (1995), and The Cult of Ant & Dec (1997). They also released 6 compilations albums between 1999 and 2014 and 4 EPs titled Eternal Love E.P. (1994), Stuck On U E.P. (1995), Stepping Stone E.P. (1995), and The Dance Singles Collection (1996).
Declan Joseph Oliver Donnelly
Dec, Duncan, Paddy Donnelly
Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England, United Kingdom
Chiswick, West London, London, England, United Kingdom
Declan attended St Michael’s Roman Catholic Primary School in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England, United Kingdom.
He then enrolled in the all-boys St Cuthbert’s High School in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England, United Kingdom, where he received 8 GCSEs.
TV Presenter, Producer, Comedian, Actor, Singer, Rapper
- Father – Alphonsus Donnelly (Passed away from cancer in August 2011)
- Mother – Anne Donnelly
- Siblings – Martin Donnelly (Older Brother), Eamonn Donnelly (Older Brother), Dermott Donnelly (Older Brother) (Catholic Priest), Patricia Donnelly (Older Sister), Moyra Donnelly (Older Sister), Camalia Donnelly (Older Sister)
Declan Donnelly is represented by –
- Mitre Television (Company) in London, England, United Kingdom
- Ali Astall (Manager, Spouse) in London, England, United Kingdom
Pop, Hip Hop/Rap, Teen Pop
Sony BMG Music Entertainment
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Declan Donnelly has dated –
- Clare Buckfield (1993-2003) – For 10 years, he was in a relationship with fellow actress Clare Buckfield.
- Sarah Cawood (2004) – He had a brief encounter with TV personality Sarah Cawood around February 2004.
- Kate Braithwaite (2006) – In 2006, he was in a relationship with British actress Kate Braithwaite.
- Di Stewart (2006) – In November 2006, he was spotted with the popular TV sports news presenter, Di Stewart.
- Georgie Thompson (2009-2011) – His 2nd most prominent relationship was with fellow TV personality and sports presenter Georgie Thompson. The two dated between January 2009 and April 2011.
- Ashley Roberts (2013) – He had a brief relationship with American singer Ashley Roberts in March 2013.
- Ali Astall (2013-Present) – In May 2013, he began dating Ali, who was a manager for Ant & Dec and originally from Australia. After a year and a half, the two got engaged in November 2014 at St. Michael’s Roman Catholic Church in his hometown of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne, England, United Kingdom. His best friend, Anthony McPartlin was his best man, while his brother Dermott conducted the service. The pair got married on August 1, 2015, in the same church and welcomed their 1st child 3 years later, on September 1, 2018, which was a daughter named Isla Elizabeth Anne Donnelly.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of North Irish descent.
Declan Donnelly has appeared in the TV commercials for –
- Wispa Bite (2000)
- Woolworths (2001)
- Sainsbury’s (2008)
- Nintendo DSi (2009)
- Nintendo Wii Fit Plus (2009)
- Super Mario Bros – 25th Anniversary (2010)
- Donkey Kong Country Returns, for Nintendo Wii (2010)
Declan has also supported charities or organizations such as –
- Pups To Partnerships
- Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle’s Youth Ministry Team
- W4 Youth Centre
Best Known For
- Being a part of performing and presenting duo, Ant & Dec, alongside Anthony McPartlin, starting in 1993
- Releasing popular studio albums as part of PJ & Duncan, later changed to Ant & Dec, titled Psyche (1994), Top Katz (1995), and The Cult of Ant & Dec (1997)
- Hosting or presenting TV shows such as I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! (2002-2018), Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway, and Britain’s Got Talent
Declan Donnelly, as part of a pop duo PJ & Duncan, released his debut studio album titled Psyche on November 4, 1994, via Sony BMG Music Entertainment. The album peaked at the 5th spot on the UK Albums Chart and was later certified ‘Platinum’ in the United Kingdom. It consisted of 13 tracks in total titled Let’s Get Ready to Rhumble, Why Me?, Tonight I’m Free ft. Lily Gonzales, Eternal Love, If I Give You My Number, Girlfriend, Our Radio Rocks, I Want You, Free as A Bird, One Look, She Scores a Perfect Ten, Talk About It, and The PJ & Duncan Show: Psyche!.
Declan Donnelly made his theatrical film debut as Dec in the comedy, drama, romance movie Love Actually in 2003. Other notable actors that appeared in the movie were Hugh Grant, Bill Nighy, Colin Firth, Sienna Guillory, Liam Neeson, Martin Freeman, Andrew Lincoln, Keira Knightley, Martine McCutcheon, Alan Rickman, Rodrigo Santoro, Billy Bob Thornton, and others.
First TV Show
Declan Donnelly made his first TV show appearance as Duncan in an episode of the comedy, drama, family series, Byker Grove in November 1989.
As a voice actor, Declan made his TV show debut as Engie Benjy in an episode titled Sleepwalking of the animated series, Engie Benjy in September 2002.
Declan Donnelly Facts
- He has a dog named Rocky.
- Declan originally wanted to follow in his older brother’s footsteps and become a Catholic priest. However, when he saw the girls from the local all-girls Sacred Heart Catholic High School, he changed his mind.
- The producer of the children’s TV show, Byker Grove was so impressed by his audition that he decided to cast him within 5 minutes.
- He only met Anthony McPartlin at the set of Byker Grove despite living close to each other as kids.
- The single We’re On The Ball that he recorded as part of PJ & Duncan, became the National Anthem for the 2002 World Cup held in South Korea and Japan.
- His single, Let’s Get Ready to Rhumble from his debut studio album, Psyche (1994), only topped the iTunes charts in March 2013. They reunited and performed the song as part of the TV show Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway and it became their 1st ever number 1 single.
- At the age of 27, Declan was awarded a “Lifetime Achievement Award” at the 2002 National Television Awards.
- Queen Elizabeth II appointed him and Anthony OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) at the 2016 Queen’s Birthday Honours List for services to broadcasting and entertainment.
- Declan is a supporter of the Labour Party.
- He and Anthony hosted all of the seasons of I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! (2002-2018) except Series 18, the last season, because Anthony suspended his TV duties. Declan was joined by a fellow British TV host and presenter, Holly Willoughby in his place.
- He and Anthony lived in the same street in Chiswick, West London, London, England, United Kingdom as of 2019.
- Visit his duo’s official website @ antanddec.com.
- Follow his duo on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Declan Donnelly / Instagram