|DeWanda Wise Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||May 30, 1984|
DeWanda Wise is an American actress, writer, and producer best known for starring as Nola Darling in Netflix comedy-drama series, She’s Gotta Have It (2017). She has also been a part of several other shows and movies like Spinning into Butter, Steam, A Walk in the Park, Smoking/No Smoking, Black Swan Theory, Knucklehead, How to Tell You’re a Douchebag, Someone Great, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, The Good Wife, Boardwalk Empire, The Mentalist, Sorta My Thing, Underground, Shots Fired, and The Twilight Zone. DeWanda Wise has garnered a major fan base with her amazing performances and has more than 200k followers on Instagram.
Jessup, Maryland, United States
Pasadena, Los Angeles, California, United States
DeWanda Wise attended the Atholton High School in Columbia, Maryland. That’s where she started taking interest in acting and acted in a play after her high school theatre director, Nathan Rosen, offered her a part in a production en lieu of detention during her sophomore year.
Then, she got enrolled at New York University‘s Tisch School of the Arts from where she graduated in 2006 with a dual degree in Drama and Urban Studies and Cultural Analysis with a minor in Community-based Theater and Performance. She also attended the Atlantic Theatre Company Acting School.
Actress, Producer, Writer
- Father – John Jackson
- Mother – Margie Wise
- Siblings – Dwayne Wise (Brother)
DeWanda Wise is represented by –
- United Talent Agency, Talent Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Bold Management & Production, West Hollywood, California, United States
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
DeWanda Wise has dated –
- Alano Miller (2009-Present) – DeWanda started dating actor Alano Miller in 2009. He has worked in movies like Hector is Gonna Kill Nate, Wish You Well, and Loving. After going out for around 3 months, the couple tied the knot the same year and have since been together.
Race / Ethnicity
- Honey hazel eyes
- Pierced septum
DeWanda Wise has not endorsed any brand yet.
Best Known For
- Being a part of various movies like Super Powers (2006) as Mrs. Elliot, Spinning into Butter (2007) as Claudia Thompson, African Booty Scratcher (2007) as Isatu, Steam (2007) as Lynn, Beyond Words (2009) as Paige, A Walk in the Park (2011), Smoking/No Smoking (2011) as Reporter, Black Swan Theory (2011), Knucklehead (2015) as Charlotte, How to Tell You’re a Douchebag (2016) as Rochelle Marseilles, and Someone Great (2019)
- Having been cast in several shows including Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2007) as Angela, One Life to Live (2008) as Julianna, The Unusuals (2009) as Nurse, The Good Wife (2011) as Jenni Salerno, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (2011) as Lakeisha Watkins, Boardwalk Empire (2011) as Henny Walker, Firelight (2012) as Terry Easle, The Mentalist (2014) as Tanya Dean, Underground (2017) as Clara, Shots Fired (2017) as Shameeka Campbell, She’s Gotta Have It (from 2017) as Nola Darling, and The Twilight Zone (2019)
DeWanda Wise made her theatrical film debut as Claudia Thompson in the drama movie, Spinning Into Butter, in 2009. The film was previously premiered at the Montreal World Cinema Festival in August 2007.
First TV Show
She made her first TV show appearance as Angela in an episode, titled World’s Fair, of the police procedural mystery drama series, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, in 2007.
She has maintained a stunning physique by doing regular exercises and along with her husband, she practices veganism.
DeWanda Wise Facts
- She spent her childhood years in Woodlawn, Laurel, and Baltimore.
- DeWanda studied at the same school as her father, i.e. Atholton High School.
- She has worked as a resident assistant and a stocker at Trader Joe’s, an American chain of grocery stores.
- During her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, cooking, staying active, spending time with family & friends, brunching, politicking, and volunteering.
- As a producer, she has worked on projects like White Face and How to Tell You’re a Douchebag.
- Initially, during her high school years, she aspired to become a therapist. However, her thoughts got influenced otherwise after she took AP Psychology.
- As a writer, she has worked on a short drama film, Where You Go (2016).
- Follow DeWanda Wise on Instagram and Facebook.
Featured Image by DeWanda Wise / Instagram