|Jonny Bairstow Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||September 26, 1989|
Jonny Bairstow is an English professional cricketer who represents England internationally and plays for Yorkshire County Cricket Club domestically. Bairstow, who plays right-hand batsman, has compiled an outstanding record for most dismissals, making him as the only wicket-keeper to achieve 9 dismissals in a test match against South Africa on January 2016 and against Sri Lanka in May 2016. On that same year, he had set a new record for most dismissals and most runs in test matches achieved by a wicket-keeper in a year. With his records, he went next to Jack Russel who had scored 11 dismissals against South Africa in 1995 and Bob Taylor who scored 10 dismissals against India in 1980 in a single test match.
Before turning pro, he was already a competitive candidate and an outstanding player as a cricketer. He was chosen as the inaugural winner of the Young Wisden Schools “Cricketer of the Year” award after executing a superb game in 2007 at St. Peter’s School, York wherein he scored a total of 654 runs. He scored 1,470 runs in test matches in a calendar year, beating the record of 777 set by Matt Prior in 2012 and 1,045 runs achieved by retired Zimbabwe wicket-keeper Andy Flower. In the early and latter years of his playing career, Bairstow has defeated various records set by former players and wicket-keepers. In addition to his career-high ranking records, he is the first English cricketer to score 3 consecutive one-day international hundreds and in 2019, he was part of England team that won the 2019 Cricket World Cup.
Jonathan Marc Bairstow
Bradford, West Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
His educational qualifications aren’t known.
- Father – David Bairstow (Former Yorkshire and England wicket-keeper)
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – Rebecca Bairstow (Sister)
- Others – Andrew Bairstow (Half-Brother) (Cricketer)
Jonny Bairstow is represented by Tim Lopez, CSM Sport and Entertainment.
- 51 – English National Team, Sunrisers Hyderabad
- 21 – Yorkshire
- 29 – Peshawar Zalmi
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
He has not openly talked about his dating life. Therefore, his relationship status remains unknown.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of English descent.
- U-shaped Jawline
- Thin Lips
- Red hair
Jonny Bairstow has endorsed brands such as –
- Uvistat Sun Care
- Spartan Sports
Best Known For
- Playing for the Yorkshire County Cricket Club domestically and for representing England internationally
- His outstanding game performances during his matches and recording most dismissals and most runs in test matches, beating multiple records that were set by former players and wicket-keepers
First Cricket Match
During the 2008 season, he made his debut with the Yorkshire wherein he played second XI cricket in 6 championship matches and scored 308 runs at an average of 61.60.
In September 2011, he made his ODI debut in a match against India during which he played as a specialist batsman and scored an outstanding record of 41 off 21 balls that led England to reach a Duckworth-Lewis adjusted total.
In May 2012, Jonny Bairstow played his first Test Match against West Indies at Lord’s Cricket Ground, St. John’s Wood, London.
First TV Show
Apart from the broadcast of his cricket matches, he made his TV show debut as ‘Himself’ on The One Show in 2017.
Jonny Bairstow usually prepares himself to train before his next match kicks off and part of his training as a wicket-keeper mainly includes 600 squats per day. In an interview in 2017, he specifically mentioned the number of squats he’d do daily on the pitch in order for him to execute the right position in the game. Aside from doing a squat exercise, Bairstow added that he also covers 14k a day. Generally, while he has some workout parameters to follow when training, he further added that he also makes sure to focus more on keeping his range of movement and strength.
As for his diet, he has not mentioned anything about his healthy diet plan and what specific food he eats during training and days before his next game. But, athletes like Bairstow who are usually out on most days to train and perform physical activities, generally prefer foods that can easily replenish their strength and energy.
Jonny Bairstow Favorite Things
- Pets – Dogs
Source – Instagram
Jonny Bairstow Facts
- He’s often referred to as “Young Jonny Bairstow”, “Yorkshire’s Jonny Bairstow”, and “YJB” by his fans.
- He was good at playing football, rugby, and hockey. Bairstow played football for Leeds United for 7 years, hockey for Leeds, and rugby for Yorkshire.
- Jonny Bairstow signed a short-term contract in November 2018 to play for Kerala Kings in the T-10 League held in Sharjah, during which he played alongside Eoin Morgan.
- In December 2018, he was bought by the Sunrisers Hyderabad for the 2019 Indian Premier League.
- Bairstow became a Yorkshire regular in 2010 and played 16 first-class matches scoring 918 runs.
- He ended the 2019 World Cup as the 2nd highest run-scorer for England and the 6th highest run-scorer overall. He scored a total of 536 runs in 11 matches with an outstanding average of 48.36.
- Jonny was named “Man of the Match” during his ODI debut in a match against India wherein he scored 41 off just 21 balls.
- His brother Andrew Bairstow has played First-Class cricket and represented Derbyshire.
- He was nominated for Professional Cricketers’ Association (PCA) “Player of the Year” award in 2015.
- He started playing for Peshawar Zalmi in PSL in 2017.
- Connect with Jonny Bairstow on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Mcadge / Wikimedia / CC-BY-SA-4.0