Kid Sister (Stage Name)
Markham, Chicago Suburb, Illinois, USA
Los Angeles, California, USA
She studied in a Catholic school in Chicago until the age of 14. Thereafter, she enrolled in a public school named Rich South High School in Richton Park based in the southern suburb of Chicago where she participated in every extra-curricular activity ranging from the newspaper committee to the school choir.
Upon finishing high school in 1998, Melisa enrolled in the University of Chicago, Illinois after which she acquired a film degree from Colombia College, Missouri.
Rapper, Emcee, Singer, Songwriter
- Father – Unknown
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – Josh Young aka J2K / YehMe2 (Younger Brother) (DJ – formerly one half of DJ duo Flosstradamus / Rapper)
- Others – Elizabeth De La Piedra (Sister-in-law) (Entrepreneur), Lexington Raymi Young (Niece), Ryder Young (Nephew)
Hip-hop, R&B, Electronica
- Fool’s Gold
- Universal Republic
5 ft 6 in or 168 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Kid Sister has dated –
- Alain Macklovitch/A-Trak – Melisa met Alain in the summer of 2006. Mutual interest in the same profession made them seriously consider working together. In the early years of her fame, Melisa confirmed she was dating Alain Macklovitch. It is not confirmed if the couple has parted ways or is still together. In 2014, Melisa revealed in an interview that for two years after she released her mix-tape, Kiss Kiss Kiss (2011), she went through a period of depression because (among a lot of other things) her first and only serious relationship ended after she found out her boyfriend cheated on her with a stripper. She did not disclose the identity of her ex-boyfriend.
Race / Ethnicity
Melisa has half African-American and half native American ancestry on her father’s side and has European ancestry on her mother’s side.
She often tends to dye her hair in shades of blonde, blue and dark brown.
- Her face reflects a unique fusion of African American and Asian features.
- Long face with high cheekbones
- Usually wears vibrant nail art as a part of her style statement
She was a part of Converse print advertising campaign in 2008.
Best Known For
Her hit single Pro-Nails (2008) featuring Kanye West that won her a nomination for the best female hip-hop artist in the BET Awards (2008).
As a Singer
- Her debut single was Control (2007).
- An EP was released on iTunes which included various remixes of the single along with another single Damn Girl.
- The EP was withdrawn after Melisa signed a deal with a new record company called Downtown Records in February 2008.
Although Melisa worked as an intern on two Indie film projects, she has not been signed to become a full-fledged part of any film project till date.
First TV Show
She was a part of the crew filming season 1 of a reality show called Starting Over (2003-2004) broadcast on NBC network.
She used to weigh 215 pounds at one point in her life and claims a predisposition towards being ‘thick’. She managed to lose most of her excess weight before landing her big break as a female rapper. Diet and exercise play an important role in her life although the details are not known.
Kid Sister Favorite Things
- Color – Pink, Purple
- Female Idols – Queen Latifah, Chloe Sevigny
- Musical Influence – Paul Johnson
- WWE Wrestler – Koko B. Ware
- Place To Shop – Target
Source – DJBooth.net, ClutchMagOnline.com, W Magazine, Global Grind
Kid Sister Facts
- Growing up, Melisa always had a keen interest in musical theater and classical music. She only listened to classical music until the age of 10.
- She owes the tomboy side of her personality to lots of male friends in high school and college. Melisa told Complex Women that having plenty of guy friends did not affect her judgment negatively or made her promiscuous. She lost her virginity at the age of 20.
- Her stage name, Kid Sister was suggested by her younger brother who thought of it while creating a remix of the Kid Sister Doll advertisement.
- Throughout school and college, Melisa got along with everybody and credits her biracial genes for her ability to connect with people of all cultural backgrounds.
- In 2003, Melisa suffered a nerve injury that caused part of the muscles in her right hand to atrophy. Since she was right-handed, she urgently needed surgery but she was too old to use her mother’s health insurance. She urgently started looking for a white-collar office job that offered health insurance as part of the pay package, but she couldn’t land any because she did not know MS Excel.
- Hence for years, before getting her break as a music artist, Melisa Young had to work in small retail jobs in stores like Victoria’s Secret, Gap, Borders, Bath & Body Works, children’s clothing store, Little Threads alongside other roles such as working in a school for special-needs children and music venues like The Wild Hare and Metro.
- Right after graduating, she was working three jobs at the same time, all unrelated to the music industry and still struggled to pay her bills.
- In the music industry, she first started working as an Emcee for Flosstradamus (DJ duo) parties. Her first show was on Halloween (31 October) 2005.
- Getting a manicure and painting her nails was the first grown-up thing that Melisa’s mother allowed her to do upon her 8th-grade graduation. Hence, fashionably done nails are a major part of her signature style statement that also inspired her first music video, Pro Nails.
- Melisa decided to start rapping after seeing so many other females going for it in Chicago but she disapproves of creating an overtly sexual image to gain attention. According to her, women should rely on their lung power and not their physical assets to get noticed.
- The Pro Nails single was initially named Project Pat, but A-Trak was inspired to rename it after regularly seeing Melisa wear crazy nail art.
- Melisa attributes a major part of her recovery from depression to Mastin Kipp’s blog, The Daily Love and the intensive programs he organized based on it.
- In 2014, she made a comeback with another mixtape named DUSK2DAWN that re-introduced a new stage persona of Melisa. After going through several setbacks in life she said that she did not ‘feel’ like Kid Sister anymore so she created another alter ego named Jane Jupiter.
- Melisa described the character of Jane Jupiter as an exalted form of SELF which is the only reliable savior she had in times of adversity.
- Visit her official website @ kidsistermusic.com.
- To know more about the female rapper, follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by TRENDSETTER Mark Holiday / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0