|Martins Licis Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2.5 in|
|Date of Birth||September 28, 1990|
Martins Licis is a Latvian-American professional strongman, TV personality, wrestler, and fitness trainer. He is best known as the winner of the 2019 World’s Strongest Man competition as well as being a runner-up at the 2019 Arnold Strongman Classic.
The Dragon, King Dragon
Thousand Oaks, California, United States
After he graduated high school, he attended Springfield Technical Community College in Springfield, Massachusetts, United States. He initially enrolled in Computer Science but then received a Personal Training certification at the school.
Professional Strongman, Fitness Trainer, Wrestler, TV Personality
- Father – Kristaps Licis
- Mother – Anita Licis-Ribak (Artist, Interior Designer, Professional Photographer)
- Siblings – Teo Licis (Younger Brother)
- Others – Imants Līcis (Grandfather)
Martins Licis is represented by –
- The Training Hall (Company) in Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, California, United States
- Penzi Management (Manager) in Beverly Hills, California, United States
6 ft 2.5 in or 189 cm
150 kg or 330.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Martins Licis has dated –
- Rebecca Rowley (2017)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Latvian descent.
- Tall height
- Bodybuilder physique
- Front teeth gap
Martins Licis has endorsed brands such as Reign Body Fuel, SBD Apparel, Rogue, and Kinda Fit Kinda Fat Apparel.
Martins Licis Favorite Things
- Idols – Jouko Ahola, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Steve Irwin
- Fictional Animal – Flying Pig
Source – TheWordsStrongestMan.com, GazetteNet.com, Instagram
Martins Licis Facts
- At the age of 4, he moved from Latvia to the United States.
- He speaks Latvian fluently and has a Latvian passport.
- He grew up in Amherst, Massachusetts, and decided to represent the United States in strongman and wrestling competitions.
- His mom never could have guessed what his profession would be. Growing up, Martins wanted to be a physicist and was always interested in nature, stars, and space.
- Martins was introduced to strength training by his father at the age of 9.
- His grandfather, who lived on a farm in Latvia, was a former Olympic weightlifter, and later worked as a sculptor. Martins visited him during summer break and on top of farm work, practiced stone lifting.
- In the summer of 2003, he was beaten and mugged by 3 older guys while waiting for a bus. He left with a black eye and a hole in his mouth that had to be stitched together. Martins stated that he already had the drive for working out but then “it quadrupled so that no one would ever be able to mess with me again.”
- He briefly played football during high school.
- He started competing as a strongman at the age of 18.
- Martins delivered pizza before he moved from Massachusetts to California at the age of 20. A well-known former strongman, Odd Haugen, took him under his wing after he enrolled in his gym, The Training Hall.
- He wasn’t aware that Odd owned the gym at 1st or that he operated a strongman competition he wanted to try out for. After 4 years of training, he won the 2015 Odd Haugen All-American Strength Classic and also became a part-owner and a part-time fitness trainer at the gym.
- In 2016, he won a gold medal at the MAS Wrestling Open World Championships, a version of strick wrestling.
- Martins represented Latvia at the Ultimate Strongman Summermania in 2017. It was also his debut as a professional strongman.
- He lost the 1st place to Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson at the 2019 Arnold Strongman Classic.
- Martins got his “revenge” after he beat Hafþór and a Polish strongman, Mateusz Kieliszkowski, for the title of the 2019 World’s Strongest Man. Brian Shaw ended up in 6th place due to a hamstring injury he suffered during the Arnold Strongman Classic that year.
- Martins and Mateusz were often called “the future of Strongman competitions.” They were also considered as having “the best rivalry in Strongman.”
- In late January 2020, he managed to carry all of his training partners “loaded up” on a yoke. The weight was around 1200 lbs or 544.5 kg and he managed to carry it for over 10 yards or 9 meters.
- His hobbies include swimming and scuba diving.
Featured Image by Paula R. Lively / Flickr / CC BY-2.0