|Rúben Neves Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||March 13, 1997|
Rúben Neves has been considered as one of the next big things in the Portuguese soccer since he made his debut for FC Porto. His ability in the center of the field was well apparent even when he was playing for the under-19 team at the Portuguese giants. His stunning performances and maturity in his early matches attracted attention from some of the biggest clubs such as Manchester United. However, he made a controversial move to Wolverhampton Wanderers. But, he delivered stunning performances in his debut season and led his side to the top flight and in the process, proved his and his team’s ambitions to compete at the higher levels.
Rúben Diogo da Silva Neves
Mozelos, Santa Maria da Feira, Portugal
Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
Rúben Neves started his soccer journey at the academy setup of the Portuguese giants, Porto.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Jose Neves
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – Unknown
Rúben Neves is represented by Jorge Mendes, the founder of GestiFute Agency.
6 – FC Porto
8 – Wolverhampton Wanderers
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rúben Neves has dated –
- Débora Lourenço – Rúben Neves has been in a relationship with Débora since the past couple of years. Deborah gave birth to their daughter, Margarida, in August 2017. Rúben proposed to Débora in May 2018 and their bond has been stronger and they are happy than ever.
Race / Ethnicity
Rúben Neves has a personal endorsement deal with Nike. As per the clauses of the deal, he is required to wear Nike footwear for his professional matches.
His religious views aren’t known.
Best Known For
- Having emerged as one of the promising midfielders during his stint with his childhood club, FC Porto, for which he made 93 appearances over 3 seasons
- Having played a key role in Wolverhampton Wanderers’ victorious EFL Championship campaign, which helped Midlands club make a return to the English top flight since their relegation in the 2011-2012 season
First Soccer Match
In August 2014, Rúben Neves made his Primeira Liga debut against C.S. Marítimo. He was just 17 years and 5 months old at the time of his debut. He also scored a goal in the match, which made him the youngest player in the club’s history to have scored a goal in the Portuguese league.
In August 2017, he made his first appearance for Wolverhampton Wanderers in EFL Championship match against Middlesbrough. His side won the match by 1-0.
- Long Shots
- Through Balls
- Ball Interception
- Technical Ability
First TV Show
In December 2017, he made his first TV show appearance on the TV series, Midlands Today.
His workout routine and diet plan aren’t known.
Rúben Neves Favorite Things
His favorite things aren’t known.
Rúben Neves Facts
- He joined the famed academy of FC Porto at the age of 8.
- In the summer of 2014, Neves was called up to train with the main squad by club manager Julen Lopetegui. He was supposed to join the reserve side.
- In August 2014, when Rúben made his UEFA Champions League debut in the play-off round match against Lille OSC, he became the youngest Portuguese to appear in the tournament.
- In October 2015, he created history by becoming the youngest player to start as captain in the Champions League. He was just 18 years and 221 days old in Porto‘s match against Maccabi Tel Aviv F.C.
- In December 2015, Rúben made another age-related record of his own as he became the youngest player to make 50 appearances for Porto.
- In July 2017, he agreed to a surprise move to Wolverhampton Wanderers, who were playing in the 2nd tier of English soccer. He was courted by the leading European clubs. His move also led to allegations against his agent, Jorge Mendes, of influencing Rúben’s transfer because of his personal relationship with the Wolves club owner.
- In July 2018, he signed a new contract with Wolves and extended his stay with the club until 2023. It helped assuage the fear of his fans that he might be sold for profit because of his agent’s business interests.
- In his English Premier League debut in Wolves’ first match after promotion, he scored a stunning free kick. The match against Everton ended in a 2-2 draw.
- Visit his official website @ rubenneves.pt.
- Follow Rúben Neves on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Rúben Neves / Instagram