Sergio Leonel Agüero
Quilmes, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Sergio grew up in a poor slum of the La Villa Itati neighborhood, which makes it very difficult to trace his early education in Buenos Aires.
However, at the age of 9, he joined the youth system of Independiente, after the recommendation from Gonzalez, who had his own radio show at the club and had Kun’s father Leonel in his amateur team. Along with his football training, the club also took care of his formal education.
Professional football player
- Father – Leonel Del Castillo (Amateur football player and Taxi Driver)
- Mother – Adriana Agüero (Housewife)
- Siblings – Gaston Del Castillo (Younger Brother) (Soccer Player; Like his older brother, he started his career with Kun’s former club Independiente), Daiana Del Castillo Agüero (Sister), Gabriela Del Castillo Agüero (Sister), Mauritius Del Castillo Agüero (Brother), Yesica Del Castillo Agüero (Sister), Maira Del Castillo Agüero (Sister)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sergio Agüero dated –
- Giannina Maradona (2007-2012) – Sergio started dating Giannina, who is the daughter of legendary Argentine soccer player Diego Maradona in 2007 after being introduced by Maradona himself. Almost after six months of dating, they got engaged in Nov 2007 and got married in 2009. Giannina gave birth to Sergio’s son, Benjamin on February 19, 2009. However, things turned sour when Sergio moved to Manchester City in July 2011 and Ginnina refused to move with him to Manchester. They even had a very public feud after divorce over Sergio’s visitation rights to meet his son.
- Luisana Varacalli (2011) – After his marriage crumbled, Kun had a brief affair with Argentine model Luisana Varacalli in 2011. They met at the Buenos Aires nightclub Kika and had a couple of dates thereafter.
- Karina Tejeda (2013-Present) – Sergio started dating Argentine singer Karina Tejeda in 2013 after meeting her at her concert and ironically, the meeting was arranged by soccer star’s ex-wife. The couple is still going strong and has been spotted together on the red carpet at several events in Argentina.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Argentine descent.
- Direct and strong striker
- Small Stature
- Tattoos including one with his name ‘Kun Agüero’ inscribed on the inside of his right arm in Tengwar, which is a form of writing invented by J. R. R. Tolkien in The Lord of the Rings.
Sergio’s body specifications may be –
- Chest – 39 in or 99 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 15 in or 38 cm
- Waist – 33 in or 84 cm
8 (US) or 7 (UK) or 41 (EU)
Being one of the finest number nines in the game, Sergio has a pretty impressive brand portfolio, which includes EA Sports and Puma. In fact, a deal inked with the sportswear giant in 2013 made him the highest paid soccer player for the brand.
Best Known For
- For scoring the last minute winner against QPR in the last match of his debut season in English Premier League. His goal helped his club Manchester City win their first ever Premier League title. What made this achievement even sweeter was that they pipped their fierce city rivals Manchester United to the title.
- Also, he holds the record for most goals scored by a South American player in England’s top division.
- For his high profile relationships back in Argentina. Not only his ex-wife was a daughter of soccer legend, his latest flame is a well-established and popular singer Karina Tejeda.
- Also, he holds the record for being the youngest debutante Argentine Primera División. He made his debut at the age of 15 years and 35 days to break the record held by his future father-in-law Maradona.
- Being one of the best strikers in the English Premier League. After Newcastle United and Blackburn Rovers legend Alan Shearer, he is the second fastest to 100 goals in English top flight.
First Soccer Match
Sergio made his first ever debut at the age of 15 on July 5, 2003, against Club Atlético San Lorenzo de Almagro for his club Independiente, when he was sent in by coach Oscar Ruggeri for Emmanuel Rivas as a 69th minute substitute.
He made his La Liga debut for Atlético Madrid on September 17, 2006, in a 4-1 away win against Athletic Bilbao. He was on the scoresheet on his debut.
His first appearance for Manchester City was against Swansea in a 4-0 victory on July 28, 2011. He wasn’t in starting line-up but came in during 59th minute as a substitute and scored two goals, including a tap in and a 25-yard screamer.
- Ball Control
- Attacking Movement
- He occasionally loses focus during the match.
- Selfish gameplay
- Bad injury record
Sergio has appeared in Torrente 4 as Expulsado reunión técnica in the 2011 crime comedy film.
First TV Show
Apart from the telecast of matches he has played in, he was first seen in the talk show Susana Giménez as a guest in an episode dated August 1, 2007.
Often in his interviews, he has stated that he doesn’t follow set workout routines and his daily workout changes according to the immediate needs. For example, after a match day, like most soccer players, he does light training, which includes running and stretching for light recovery. Whereas, a couple of days after the match, he has to take part in intense two to three training sessions, which with the arrival of the Catalan coach Pep Guardiola would have only increased in intensity.
You can find his pre-season weight training workout in the video below, which was posted by the famous FourFourTwo publication.
He has also made a lot of changes to his diet and nutrition to tackle his horrendous injury record. To get rid of his numerous muscular injuries, he consulted an Italian specialist, Giuliano Poser, who asked him to refrain from pasta, red meat and sugar. In an interview with Manchester Evening News, he revealed that these changes had made a lot of difference to his fitness level and injury record.
Sergio Agüero Favorite Things
- Food – Argentine Beef
- NFL Team – Dallas Cowboys
- Player – Cristiano Ronaldo
Sergio Agüero Facts
- He has a song written and recorded in his honor by the cumbia band called Los Leales. The song was titled “El Kun Aguero” and Sergio was the lead singer for the recording.
- He was a part of the Argentine squad at two FIFA World Youth Championships, winning two consecutive titles. During the 2007 final against Czech Republic, he was the captain of the team and equalized for his time in 62nd minute. Also, for his goal tally of six in seven matches, he was awarded the Golden Boot of the tournament. As the best player of the tournament, he was also given Golden Ball.
- In 2007, he was named FIFA Young Player of the Year. In the same year, a leading Italian newspaper Tuttosport gave him the Golden Boy award.
- The Barcelona star forward Lionel Messi is his best friend and they often share a room during international duty. In fact, in his autobiography, Born to Rise, he has called Messi his brother.
- While playing for Atlético Madrid, he was granted Spanish citizenship in 2010.
- His father was also a good goal scorer and played for a number of amateur teams. Also, before he became a taxi driver, he was a baker. He became a taxi driver after Gonzalo, who had recommended Sergio to Independiente, bought him a taxi so that he could earn more money and could regularly drop his son to the training sessions.
- Before he moved to Atlético Madrid, he was regularly watched by Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus, and Real Madrid. But the club’s asking price proved too steep for them.
- Manchester United’s legendary manager Sir Alex Ferguson rejected a chance to sign him before he moved to Manchester City. Ferguson felt the transfer fees of 35 million pounds was too much.
- He has a tattoo of his son’s name and date of birth on his left arm.
- He was nicknamed ‘Kun’ by his grandparents as they thought that he resembled Japanese anime character “kum kum” from his favorite cartoon show.
- Due to his short, stocky stature and his playing style, he is often compared to Maradona and, he scored a sensational goal almost two years after his debut, which was very similar to one scored by the Argentine legend. He got the possession of the ball on the left side of his own half and he went on to dribble past four players before finishing in the far corner. You can watch that sensational goal here.
- His pre-match ritual includes rubbing his hands together while walking down the tunnel. Also, in order to keep his mind relaxed and calm, he avoids thinking about the game and prefers to listen to the music.
- Visit his official website at sergioaguero.com.
- You can also follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo, YouTube, and Google+.