Kalaheo, Kauai, Hawaii, United States
She is based in Kauai.
However, she has to travel to Los Angeles for her work commitments.
Sonya Balmores went to the Kalaheo Elementary School.
She later got admission at the Kauai High School.
Upon graduating from high school, she got enrolled at the Hawaii Pacific University to study visual communications.
Actress, model, and surfer
- Father – Abraham Balmores (Worked at Kiahuna Plantation)
- Mother – Malana DeSilva (Was general manager of the Kauai Coconut Coast Resort)
- Siblings – She has two brothers and three sisters.
- Others – Ernest DeSilva (Stepfather), Shelagh Balmores (Stepmother)
For her modeling assignments, Sonya Balmores is represented by M Model Management.
For her acting projects, she is represented by Don Buchwald Agency and East West Artists.
5 ft 4 in or 163 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sonya seems to prefer to keep her personal life away from the limelight due to which very little is known about her dating history.
Going by her Instagram feed, she seems to be married to a man named Kanoa Chung. She has shared a picture of him lounging at The Surfjack Hotel in Waikiki and used #hubby in the caption of the image.
Race / Ethnicity
On her mother’s side, she has American and Irish ancestry, while on her father’s side, she is of Filipino descent.
34-25-34 in or 86-63.5-86 cm
6 (US) or 36 (EU)
7 (US) or 37.5 (EU)
Sonya Balmores has appeared in a TV commercial for Olay Fresh Effects Skin Care Cream.
She is a practicing Christian and regularly visited Hope Chapel in Kaneohe while she was living in Hawaii.
Best Known For
- Having won the Miss Hawaii Teen USA in May 2004 and finishing as a runner up at the Miss Teen USA beauty pageant.
- Having played the role of Malina Birch in the biographical drama movie, Soul Surfer, which was based on the autobiography of Bethany Hamilton.
- Being cast in the role of Auran, the Head of the Royal Guards on Attilan, in the superhero action drama, Marvel’s Inhumans.
In 2011, Sonya made her theatrical film debut in an important role in the biographical drama, Soul Surfer.
First TV Show
In 2005, Sonya made her first TV show appearance in the role of a tattooed girl in the Pilot episode of the sitcom, Rocky Point.
Sonya Balmores loves to surf in her free time and relies on it to keep herself healthy and fit. She especially loves to cruise along the waves on the short boards. She has also relied on tennis in the past to add some more physical exertion to her daily routine.
However, she hasn’t been a big fan of gym workouts and in the past, has relied on running or long walks for her share of cardio.
Regarding diet, she has to stay away from dairy products as she is lactose intolerant. She opts to stay away from fast food. Overall, she eats everything in moderation. If she feels like eating chocolate, she goes for it. However, she makes sure the portions are small of such foods.
Sony Balmores Favorite Things
Her favorite things aren’t known.
Sonya Balmores Facts
- She started her modeling career at the age of 13 and did a lot of print work for local brands in her early modeling days.
- When she finished as a runner up in the Miss Teen USA competition, she was the highest placed participant from Hawaii since Kelly Hu won the competition in 1985.
- After her runner up finish in Miss Teen USA, she was offered an opportunity to work in a reality show on the recommendation from competition winner Shelley Hennig. However, she wasn’t interested in such TV show.
- She got her breakthrough after she was cast in an important role in the popular drama TV series, Beyond the Break. Her background in surfing helped her bag the work in the show.
- Follow her on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Featured Image by Jai Mansson / Flickr / CC BY-SA 3.0