|Theaster Gates Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||August 28, 1973|
Theaster Gates is a talented American artist, urban planner, musician, and committed social worker. Gates has exhibited and performed at numerous museums and art galleries including Sprengel Museum Hannover, Germany; Kunstmuseum Basel, Switzerland; National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C., USA; Art Gallery of Ontario, Canada; Fondazione Prada, Milan, Italy; Whitechapel Gallery, London, UK; and Punta della Dogana, Venice, Italy. He has won numerous Artes Mundi prizes and others like Légion d’Honneur and Nasher Prize for Sculpture. Theaster is also a professor at the University of Chicago in the Department of Visual Arts.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Theaster Gates studied at the Lane Technical High School in Chicago, Illinois. Later, he attended Iowa State University and graduated with a B.S. in Urban Planning and Ceramics in 1996.
He further studied art in Japan and obtained an M.A. degree in Fine Arts, and Religious Studies from the University of Cape Town in South Africa.
Artist, Urban Planner, Musician, Social Worker, Professor
- Father – He was a roofer.
- Mother – She was a school teacher.
- Siblings – He has 8 older sisters.
Theaster Gates is represented by –
- Regen Projects, Art Gallery, Los Angeles, California, United States
- White Cube, Art Gallery, London, England, United Kingdom
Southern, Jazz, Gospel, Blues, Soul, Buddhist Chants
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Theaster Gates has rarely spoken about his personal life in his interactions with the media, which makes it difficult for us to ascertain anything about his dating history and love life.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
- Shaved hair
- Rugged gray beard
Theaster Gates hasn’t done endorsement work for any brand yet.
He was raised a Baptist.
Best Known For
His work in revitalizing poor neighborhoods through urban planning and art. Also, many of his works have been shown globally in numerous famous museums and art galleries.
As a Singer
In 2009, Theaster formed the music group Black Monks of Mississippi, and since then, the group has done many collaborative performances with different musicians from around the world at specific venues.
First TV Show
In 2014, he made his first TV appearance as a guest on the comedy news talk-show The Colbert Report.
Theaster Gates Favorite Things
- Cities – Chicago and Kyoto
- Vacation Spot – New Orleans
- Sport – Pingpong
- Restaurant – Renga-Tei, a Japanese restaurant in Lincolnwood
- Mode Of Transit – Roller-skating in his Chicago Skates classic rink skates
- Music – Anything by Frankie Knuckles
- Dive Bar – Leo’s Den on 71st Street (1200 E. 71st St.)
- Fashion – Anything by Folk Clothing
Source – Chicago Tribune
Theaster Gates Facts
- At the age of 13, he became the director of the youth choir at his local Baptist church.
- He has written a few books including Theaster Gates (2012) and My Name is Dave: A Hymnal with Leroy Bach (2010).
- According to Theaster, one object that makes a place home is wine glass.
- He likes wine from Bordeaux.
- The most comfortable chair that he owns is a knockoff of the Eames recliner lounge.
- He founded the non-profit organization Rebuild Foundation with the aim in processing redevelopment of affordable spaces under-resourced communities.
- Theaster is also a professor at the University of Chicago in the Department of Visual Arts.
- Visit his official website @ www.theastergates.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Andy Miah / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0