|Wilfried Zaha Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||November 10, 1992|
Wilfried Zaha has shown throughout his career that he is a fighter. While many other players would have allowed their failed stint with Manchester United to have a negative impact on their careers, Zaha decided to work hard on his skills to bag another move to a big English club. He nearly managed to do so in the summer of 2018 as he was pursued by Tottenham Hotspur. He didn’t allow the disappointment of a failed transfer move to affect him and scored in the first match of the new season. Zaha’s great performances have attracted praise from experts such as the Liverpool legend Graeme Souness, who has claimed that Zaha can do the job even for Real Madrid.
Dazet Wilfried Armel Zaha
Abidjan, Ivory Coast
Zaha lives in a lavish 7-bedroom mansion in Surrey. He paid £2.5m to buy the house in October 2015.
Wilfried Zaha went to the Whitehorse Manor Junior School. Later, he studied at the Thornton Heath School. He has also studied at the Selsdon High School, Selsdon.
He started his soccer journey at the youth academy of Crystal Palace when he was 12 years old.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Armel Zaha
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – He has 8 siblings.
Wilfried Zaha is represented by Will Salthouse of Unique Sports Management.
36, 16, 11 – Crystal Palace
29 – Manchester United
36 – Cardiff City
9 – Ivory Coast
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Wilfried Zaha has dated –
- Lauren Moyes (2013) – Towards the end of 2013, Zaha was linked with Lauren Moyes, daughter of his then Manchester United manager David Moyes. As per the malicious rumors, it was claimed that because Zaha was having an affair with Moyes’ daughter, he had decided to banish Zaha from the playing eleven. Zaha, eventually, had to release a statement to refute all such rumors and insisted that he didn’t even personally know Lauren.
- Paige Bannister (2016) – In June 2016, he was linked with Paige Bannister, who was studying in university at that time. It was also reported that the 20-year-old student was already in a relationship with Wolverhampton Wanderers’ defender, Kortney Hause, while she also had an affair with Zaha. The reports also stated that even Zaha was cheating on his girlfriend to have an affair with Bannister.
- Laveno Valentino – Zaha has dated Laveno Valentino in the past and it has also been suspected that she is the unnamed mother of his son.
Race / Ethnicity
He often dyes his hair with ‘brown’ and ‘blonde’ highlights.
Wilfried Zaha has inked a footwear endorsement deal with Nike which requires him to wear Nike footwear for his professional matches.
Best Known For
His great performances for the London based club, Crystal Palace, as during his first stint with the club, he made 143 appearances and scored 18 goals. In his second stint with the club, he managed to establish himself as one of the most exciting players in the league.
First Soccer Match
In March 2010, he made his professional debut with Crystal Palace in a match against Cardiff City. He was sent in for Stern John in the last 10 minutes of his side’s 2-1 defeat.
In August 2013, Zaha made his first competitive appearance for Manchester United in the FA Community Shield against Wigan Athletic.
In November 2012, he made his first start for England in a friendly match against Sweden. He replaced Raheem Sterling in the 83rd minute.
In January 2016, he made his first international appearance for Ivory Coast in a friendly match against Sweden. He started in the 2nd half of the match and assisted a goal in their 2-1 win.
- Unpredictable attacking movement
- Work rate
He has sometimes been accused of going down far too easily.
First TV Show
In 2015, Wilfried Zaha made his first TV show appearance on the sports talk show, Football on 5: The EFL Cup.
Apart from his soccer training, Wilfried Zaha works hard in the gym to improve his game. He focuses on complex lifts that work multiple muscles to improve his strength and power. He also includes functional training in his workout regime to enhance his conditioning and endurance. To take his training regime to the next level, he also uses fitness accessories such as an altitude mask.
Wilfried Zaha Favorite Things
- Soothing Track – Hit the Quan by iLoveMemphis
Source – Goal
Wilfried Zaha Facts
- He was 4 years old when his family moved from Abidjan to Thornton Heath in the London Borough of Croydon.
- In April 2010, Zaha signed his first professional contract with Crystal Palace as he agreed to a 2 years stay at the London club.
- In August 2010, he scored his first professional goal as he scored in his side’s 3-2 win over Leicester City.
- In April 2011, he was shown a red card in a match against Leicester City in the 95th minute as the referee believed he had stamped on Patrick van Aanholt. However, the card was later rescinded upon appeal.
- In March 2012, Zaha managed to win The Football League’s Young Player of the Year award after grabbing the most votes in the poll.
- In recognition of his great performances in the 2011-12 season, he was voted Crystal Palace Young Player of the Year. This was his second consecutive player of the year gong.
- In January 2013, it was announced that Manchester United had paid £10 million to Palace to acquire Zaha. It was also revealed that United had loaned him back to Palace for the remainder of the season.
- Zaha struggled to make an impact in his first season at Manchester United with Sir Alex Ferguson, who had signed him before retiring in the summer of 2013 while Ferguson’s successor David Moyes struggled to make an impact on the team.
- After Moyes was sacked in April 2014, Zaha took an aim at Moyes for not giving him a chance to prove himself at United.
- In August 2014, he returned to Crystal Palace on a season-long loan deal. It was announced in February of the following year that the club had decided to convert his loan deal into a permanent one. As per the deal, United would receive a percentage of his future transfer fees.
- At the end of 2015-16 season, he was selected as the Crystal Palace Player of the Year.
- In May 2017, Zaha signed a contract extension with Crystal Palace, which extended his stay with the club for 5 more years. In the same month, he won his 2nd consecutive Crystal Palace Player of the Year.
- In the summer of 2018, he was heavily linked with a move to Tottenham Hotspur. However, Palace‘s price tag of £70 million proved to be too steep for the Spurs.
- Follow Wilfried Zaha on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by James Boyes / Flickr / CC BY 2.0