|Yuvan Shankar Raja Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4½ in|
|Date of Birth||August 31, 1979|
Yuvan Shankar Raja, popularly known as U1 is an Indian film composer. He is a leading music composer in Tamil films. He is often recognized for presenting hip hop into Tamil films and also known for using western music elements. He is considered as a versatile music composer.
Yuvan Shankar Raja
YSR, U1, Little Isaignani, Young Maestro
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
He studied at St. Bede’s Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School, Chennai. He discontinued his schooling after his 10th grade.
Later, he began learning music by joining a master named Jacob and attending piano classes at Musee Musical, Chennai which is affiliated to Trinity College, London, UK.
Film Composer, Music Director, Lyricist, Songwriter, Instrumentalist, Singer, Arranger, Record Producer, Orchestrator, Film Producer
- Father – Ilaiyaraaja (Film Score Composer, Music Director, Songwriter, Singer, Conductor, Instrumentalist, Arranger, Orchestrator, and Film Producer)
- Mother – Jeeva Rajayya (Film Producer)
- Siblings – Karthik Raja (Older Brother) (Indian Composer), Bhavatharini (Older Sister) (Singer and Music Director)
- Others – Gangai Amaran (Paternal Uncle) (Actor, Voice Actor, Director, Film Score Composer, Music Director, Songwriter, Singer, Instrumentalist, Arranger, Orchestrator, and Lyricist), R. D. Bhaskar (Paternal Uncle) (Film Producer and Film Director), Venkat Prabhu (Cousin) (Indian Film Maker, Actor, Director, Playback Singer), Premgi Amaran (Cousin) (Indian Playback Singer, Actor, Songwriter, Film Composer)
Film Score and World Music
Vocals, Guitar, and Keyboard
His music has been released by Sony Music Entertainment, Think Music India, U1 Records, and others.
5 ft 4½ in or 164 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Yuvan’s name has been linked with –
- Sujaya Chandran (2002-2008) – London based singer, Sujaya and Yuvan met in 2002 and later, they fell in love with each other. They had a secret registered marriage in 2003. Later, in 2005, they had a formal public wedding at Sri Ramanathan Chettiyar Hall, Chennai. They filed for divorce in 2007 for the reason of irreconcilable differences between them and they were granted a divorce in 2008.
- Shilpa (2011-2014) – Shilpa and Yuvan got married at the Tirumala Venkateswara Temple in 2011. Their marriage was held in a simple manner where only his family members and close friends were present.
- Zafroon Nisa (2015-Present) – She is a Costume designer. Yuvan announced through his Twitter account in 2014 as he had embraced Islam. They both got married in 2015 and together have a daughter born in 2016.
Race / Ethnicity
- A unique style of music
- Short stature
Yuvan Shankar Raja Facts
- He has a desire to explore folk and the native sounds of Tamil Nadu in his music.
- He entered the Tamil film and music industry at the age of 16. He became one of the youngest composers ever in the film industry which he always considers as purely accidental.
- Yuvan once admitted that his brother Karthik Raja is much talented than him. Unfortunately, he didn’t get a successful breakthrough in his music career since he didn’t get a good team to work with.
- YSR always wanted to become a pilot and travel all around the world. But in 1996, following his mother’s suggestion, he took up music as his profession and the rest is history.
- U1 joined hands with the former President of India, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam in 2010 for a music video album titled Song of Youth. The song was made to inspire the youth in India. It was written by Kalam and composed by Yuvan. The video featured YSR, Kalam and other celebrities from the entertainment and sports field. The video was made as a trilingual in Tamil, English, and Hindi.
- Even though Yuvan Shankar Raja has not learned Indian classical music, he still used Carnatic ragas and complex Swara patterns in his films like Nandha (2001) and Thulluvadho Ilamai (2002). Also, critics acclaim that his music has a youthful character to it.
- In the Tamil film industry, he was the first music composer to start the era of remixes in songs. His first remix song was Aasai Nooru Vagai from the film Kurumbu (2004). Following that, several music composers began remixing the 1970s and 80s Tamil film songs.
Featured Image by Yuvan Shankar Raja / Instagram