Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Essie Davis attended Clarence High School in Bellerive, Tasmania. After graduating, she got admission in Rosny College, a senior secondary college in a small town near Hobart. For her graduation level studies, she joined the University of Tasmania.
She honed her acting skills at National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA) in Sydney from where she graduated in 1992.
- Father – George Davis (Nature and Portrait Painter)
- Mother – Mary Davis
- Siblings – Unknown
London-based United Agents Ltd represents Essie Davis.
5 ft 6 in or 168 cm
53 kg or 117 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Essie Davis has dated –
- Justin Kurzel (1996-Present) – Essie Davis started dating film director and screenwriter Justin Kurzel in 1996. They dated for around six years before getting married in 2002. In 2006, Essie gave birth to twin daughters, Stella and Ruby. Essie has attributed the longevity of their marriage to the cardinal rule of never spending more than a month away from each other.
Race / Ethnicity
Her natural hair color is “Strawberry Blonde,” but she has often dyed her hair natural brown for her roles.
- Short cropped hair
- Blue eyes
- Thin lips
33-23-34 in or 84-58.5-86 cm
4 (US) or 34 (EU)
7.5 (US) or 38 (EU)
She hasn’t done endorsement work for any commercial brand.
Her religious views aren’t known.
Best Known For
- Starring in The Matrix film series in 2003.
- Joining the cast of The Game of Thrones in 2016.
Essie’s first film appearance was in the drama film The Custodian in 1993 for her role as Jilly.
First TV Show
In 1997, she first appeared in two episodes of police procedural show Water Rats as Senior Det. Nicola Bourke.
Essie Davis’s workout routine and diet plan aren’t known.
Essie Davis Favorite Things
Her favorite things aren’t known.
Essie Davis Facts
- Essie is a technophobe, which means she has a phobia of technology and can barely manage to answer an email.
- After graduating from the National Institute of Dramatic Art, she started her acting career with Bell Shakespeare Company by bagging a role of Juliet in the Romeo and Juliet production.
- In 2005, she was featured as Mrs. Nellie Lovett, which is the female lead in Sweeney Todd in the BBC production of the historical play.
- In 2008, she launched Tasmanian Theatre Company with the aim of supporting the local theater scene and to encourage the youth to involve in the art and drama.
- From 2012 to 2015, she was cast in the lead role of Phryne Fisher in the ABC drama, Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries, which is inspired by Kerry Greenwood’s famous novels.
- She is a big fan of the Zen mindfulness concept, therefore opts to focus on one thing at a time.
- She did some of her stunts on her own in the Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries.
- She got her role in The Game of Thrones after casting director noticed her work in the horror movie, The Babadook (2014).
- Essie Davis doesn’t have any social media account.