|Leon Goretzka Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||February 6, 1995|
Leon Goretzka is a German professional soccer player who has made his name as a central midfielder playing for major German clubs like VfL Bochum, FC Schalke 04, and Bayern Munich. With the last of those clubs, he won the Bundesliga title in the 2018–19 season, the DFB-Pokal in the 2018–19 season, and the DFL-Supercup in 2018. At the international level, he had represented Germany at the Under-16, Under-17, Under-19, and Under-21 tiers before making his senior national team debut in May 2014. Leon had captained the German team that had finished as runner-up at the 2012 UEFA European Under-17 Championship and was an integral member of the squad that won the Silver medal at the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. He was the joint top-scorer (3 goals) at the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup where Germany emerged triumphant for the first time in their history.
Leon Christoph Goretzka
Bochum, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Leon had completed his high school graduation from the Alice-Salomon Berufskolleg (Alice-Salomon-Vocational School) in his hometown of Bochum.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Konrad Goretzka
- Siblings – Philip Goretzka (Brother)
- 10, 19, 8, 14, 18, 6 – Germany
- 18 – VfL Bochum
- 8 – FC Schalke 04
- 18 – Bayern Munich
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Leon has dated –
- Mathea Fischer (2016–Present)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Polish descent.
- Toned physique
- Lanky frame
- Side-cropped, tousled hair
- Sports a trimmed beard
- Has a mole on his neck
Leon has been sponsored by –
- German Red Cross (Deutsches Rotes Kreuz)
Leon Goretzka Facts
- A child prodigy, Leon had started his youth career in 1999 at the age of just 4, with local club Werner SV 06 Bochum. In 2001, he switched to VfL Bochum and spent almost 11 years at the club’s youth academy.
- In 2012, he was honored with the Fritz Walter Medal, an annual award given to the best youth soccer player by the German Football Association.
- At the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup, he had won the ‘Bronze Ball’ award for his spectacular performances throughout the competition. Out of his 3 goals in the competition, 2 had come in Germany’s 4-1 win over Mexico in the semifinal. Both his goals were scored within the first 10 minutes of the match.
- His first FIFA World Cup, in 2018, was a tale to forget though as he made his tournament debut in Germany’s last group stage match. The team lost 2-0 to South Korea and were knocked out of the competition, the first time that the team did not advance past the first round of the World Cup since 1938.
- On 15 February 2019, during a Bundesliga match for Bayern Munich, he scored an own goal after just 13 seconds in the game. It was a rare occurrence as no other player from his team had touched the ball at that time.
Featured Image by Leon Goretzka / Instagram