|Lily Tomlin Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5½ in|
|Date of Birth||September 1, 1939|
Lily Tomlin is a legendary actress, comedian, writer, singer, and producer. She is a recipient of a Grammy Award and multiple Emmy Awards and is also known for her roles in Grace and Frankie, Rowan & Martin’s, And the Band Played On, The Magic School Bus, The West Wing, Murphy Brown, Will & Grace, Malibu Country, A Prairie Home Companion, Grandma, Short Cuts, The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, and Nashville.
Mary Jean Tomlin
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Lily Tomlin passed out from Cass Technical High School in Detroit, Michigan in 1957. She then attended the Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan and took up Biology as her major. However, after some audition-tryouts, she changed her major to Acting. She further studied acting in HB Studio in Greenwich Village in New York City.
Actress, Comedian, Writer, Singer, Producer
- Father – Guy Tomlin (Factory Worker)(Died October 24, 1970)
- Mother – Lillie Mae (Nurse’s Aide) (Died July 12, 2005)
- Siblings – Richard Tomlin (Younger Brother)
- Others – Richard Lawrence Tomlin (Paternal Grandfather), Richard E. Tomlin (Paternal Great Grandfather), Elizabeth Nancy Price (Paternal Great Grandmother), Tennessee Helton (Paternal Grandmother), William David /Douglas Helton (Paternal Great Grandfather), Nancy Mariah Hudson /Hutson (Paternal Great Grandmother), William Thomas Ford (Maternal Grandfather), John Bennett /Bennet Ford (Maternal Great grandfather), Nancy Emmeline /Emeline Lantrip (Maternal Great Grandmother), Mary Celia Rosier /Roser (Maternal Grandmother), Steve Rosier /Roser (Maternal Great Grandfather), Mary Graham (Maternal Great Grandmother)
Lily Tomlin is managed by –
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Viewpoint, Inc., Public Relations Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
Polydor Records, Arista Records
5 ft 5½ in or 166 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Lily Tomlin has dated –
- Jane Wagner (1971-Present) – Lily has been in a relationship with a writer, director, and producer, Jane Wagner, since 1971. They were introduced to each other by a common friend, actress Betty Beaird, in New York. It was only on December 31, 2013, that Lily and Jane tied the knot in a private ceremony in Los Angeles, California. They have been happily together and have also supported each other professionally.
Race / Ethnicity
She has English and part German ancestry.
Salt & Pepper
She often tends to dye her hair.
- Long face
- Shoulder-length wavy hair
- Prominent cheeks
Lily Tomlin has done endorsement work for brands like –
- All detergent
- Fidelity Investments
She was raised in a Baptist family.
Best Known For
- Her versatile roles in films and TV series including Grace and Frankie as Frankie Bergstein, Malibu Country (2012–2013) as Lillie Mae, Will & Grace (2005–2006) as Margot, The West Wing (2002–2006) as Deborah Fiderer, Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In (1969–1973) as Ernestine and other characters, Grandma (2015) as Elle Reid, Short Cuts (1993) as Doreen Piggot, The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe (1991) as Trudy, et al., and Nashville (1975) as Linnea Reese
In 1971, she released her first comedy album, This Is a Recording, with Polydor Records. The album had 17 tracks and she also won Grammy Award for Best Comedy Recording for the album in 1972.
In 1975, she made her theatrical film debut as Linnea Reese in the musical drama film, Nashville.
In 1972, she made her debut as a voice actress in the musical comedy-drama film, Scarecrow in a Garden of Cucumbers, as the voice on the telephone. However, she wasn’t credited for her role.
In 2006, she made her formal theatrical film debut as a voice artist by voicing the character of Mommo in the fantasy animated adventure film, The Ant Bully.
First TV Show
In 1966, she made her first TV show appearance in the variety show, The Garry Moore Show.
In 1994, she made her TV show debut as a voice-over actress in the animated adventure series, The Magic School Bus, as Ms. Valerie Frizzle.
Lily Tomlin lives an active life. She has said that it is necessary to take care of one’s body and workout from time to time and she usually works on her upper body especially her arms. She has also stressed the importance of maintaining balance in life and the significance of taking care of one’s body early on in life.
Lily Tomlin Favorite Things
- Comedians – Lucille Ball, Bea Lillie, Imogene Coca, Jean Carroll
Source – lilytomlin.com
Lily Tomlin Facts
- World War II started the same day she was born.
- In 1965, she moved to New York to pursue her acting career.
- She studied mime with Paul Curtis.
- In John Willis’ Screen World, Vol. 29, she was listed as one of the twelve “Promising New Actors of 1977”.
- Once, before the start of her show in New York, she dressed as a nurse of the Red Cross and handed out cups of coffee to those waiting in line to enter the theatre.
- In 2002, she became The Women’s Image Network (WIN) Awards Lifetime Achievement Honoree.
- On May 25, 1999, as one of the guest speaker for Exceptional Experiences lecture series, she spoke at the Centennial Concert Hall, Winnipeg, in Manitoba, Canada.
- In 2014, she received the Kennedy Center Honors along with Al Green, Tom Hanks, Patricia McBride, and Sting.
- She and actress Jane Fonda are best friends.
- Her decadent indulgence includes her mother’s lemon icebox pie with heavy whipped cream.
- If she could invite 5 people, dead or alive, to her dinner party, she would invite comedians Gracie Allen, Lucy, Joan Blondell, Jean Harlow, and Hedy Lamarr.
- As an executive producer, she has been involved in projects like Grace and Frankie, Radium Girls (2018), An Apology to Elephants (2013), Citizen Reno (2001), Reno Finds Her Mom (1998), Edith Ann: A Few Pieces of the Puzzle (1994), and Lily: Sold Out (1981).
- As a writer, she has contributed to projects like Edith Ann: A Few Pieces of the Puzzle (1994), The Paul Simon Special (1977), The Lily Tomlin Special (1975), Lily (1973), and The Lily Tomlin Show (1973).
- Lily has supported numerous charities including The Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders, Rosie’s Place in Boston, Project Home in Philadelphia, and Fenway Health Center.
- She has also founded the Los Angeles LGBT Center’s Lily Tomlin /Jane Wagner Cultural Arts Center and the Goosebump Garden.
- Visit her official website @ lilytomlin.com.
- Follow Lily Tomlin on Facebook and Twitter.
Featured Image by Lily Tomlin and Jane Wagner / Facebook