Milton Teagle Simmons
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Richard Simmons attended Cor Jesu High School in New Orleans, which since has been rebranded as Brother Martin High School. After graduation, he got enrolled in the University of Southwestern Louisiana.
However, he didn’t complete his studies there and instead moved to Florida State University. While, studying there, he went to Florence, Italy as an exchange student. He graduated from Florida State University with a BA in Arts.
Fitness guru, actor, comedian
- Father – Leonard Douglas Simmons, Sr. (Retired master of ceremonies, thrift shop employee)
- Mother – Shirley May (Former Traveling Fan Dancer, Cosmetics Store Saleswoman)
- Siblings – Leonard Douglas Simmons, Jr. (Older Brother)
William Morris Endeavor Entertainment
5 ft 6½ in or 169 cm
61 kg or 134.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Richard Simmons has dated –
- Daniel Holt (1992) – The aerobics and fitness guru was reported to have hooked up with Swiss p*rnstar, Daniel Holt in 1992. Daniel passed away a year after their short affair.
- Bruce Headrick – Bruce, a gay hustler, has alleged in many interviews that Richard Simmons was one of his best customers in the 80’s. Their first encounter happened at Richard’s house, while his mother was sleeping upstairs. Though these rumors were never confirmed, however, Richard has never refuted them as well.
Race / Ethnicity
Richard has Russian Jewish ancestry on his mother’s side.
- Light brown afro hairdo
- Glittering and golden leotards
His body specifications may be –
- Chest – 38 in or 96.5 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 12 in or 30.5 cm
- Waist – 31 in or 79 cm
Over the years, Richard Simmons has used his star power to pocket numerous fitness related endorsements deals. He has appeared in TV adverts for the following –
- ESPN’s Sports Center
- Fruit of the Loom Underwear
He also turned co-host for the Project Hope infomercial that promoted progressive workout system.
Best Known For
- Making the Sweatin’ to the Oldies series of aerobics videos.
- His eccentric and unique dressing style.
His first work in a movie was in drama fantasy film Fellini Satyricon in 1969 as Nymphomaniac’s Slave. His role was uncredited.
First TV Show
His first TV show appearance was in Everyday as himself in an episode dated March 2, 1979.
Richard Simmons himself is a celebrity fitness trainer and owner of recently closed gym called Slimmons in Beverly Hills. He is well known for his vigorous workouts. Even in his advancing age, he still places faith in aerobics and great dance-inspired routines to keep his body toned and in shape.
When it comes to diet, he believes in a balanced diet that has at least seven servings of fruits and vegetables and two servings of low-fat dairy foods daily. He also places emphasis on drinking lots of water and avoiding pre-packaged foods.
Richard Simmons Favorite Things
His favorite things aren’t known.
Richard Simmons Facts
- Simmons adopted his first name Richard in honor of an uncle who had given him money to pay his college fees.
- He took his first job at Leah’s in New Orleans in his childhood, which involved selling pralines, a confection that had nuts, sugar, and cream.
- His famous pseudo afro hairstyle is a result of severe hair fall he suffered at the age of 19 due to crazy dieting and three subsequent hair transplant procedures.
- Richard Simmons found his famous gym studio, Slimmons in the late 1980s after getting dissatisfied with the established gyms that mostly favored fit people and discouraged beginners.
- At one point, Richard’s weight was about 268 lbs before he got inspired to lose weight after reading an anonymous note left on his car, which read, “Fat people die young. Please don’t die.”
- While appearing on the show, General Hospital, Richard was famous for answering every fan mail personally.
- Simmons places 100s of telephone calls to those seeking his help on weight loss. Plus, he holds weekly chats with fans on his personal website.
- In his advancing age, Richard has become famous for his reclusive behavior. It was even speculated in 2016 that he was held hostage by a housekeeper, which he refuted in an audio interview.
- Visit his official website @ richardsimmons.com.
- Connect with Richards on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube.