|Sibel Can Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||August 1, 1970|
Sibel Can is a Turkish actress, dancer, TV presenter, and one of the country’s most popular singers. She started her career at the age of 14 as a belly dancer and solo musician. Her father was a violinist who used to tour the world with popular singers on their concerts and Sibel would travel with him and perform in the overseas concerts (including in Vienna, Amsterdam, and Tel Aviv) as an oriental dancer. Later, she began performing at Istanbul’s popular clubs such as Galata Tower and Astorya where she was spotted by famous Turkish singer Nükhet Duru. Nükhet recommended Sibel to casino mogul Fahrettin Aslan, who offered her the chance to perform at the Maksim Casino. At Maksim, Sibel came in contact with and was influenced by singers such as Muazzez Abacı, Neşe Karaböcek, and Emel Sayın. This changed the course of Sibel’s career towards singing and she released her first solo album at the age of just 17.
From 1987 to 1995, she released a new album every year and signed a contract with Raks Müzik. Sibel’s rise to fame, however, only came with her 9th album, Bu Devirde (In this Age), that was released in 1997. The music video of the album’s lead single Padişah (Sultan) became a raging hit which earned her a massive fan base and the album eventually topped the charts in Turkey. Following the success of the album, Sibel began touring the country and performed several concerts. Over the years, she has been prolific with her recordings and has released numerous albums. She has also acted in leading and supporting roles in numerous Turkish TV shows, including her starring turn as Sevda in TV mini-series Sevda’nın Bahçesi (Sevda’s Garden) in 2017.
Karagümrük, Fatih, İstanbul, Turkey
Çubuklu, Beykoz, İstanbul, Turkey
Sibel completed her primary and secondary education at local schools in İstanbul, Turkey. As she started her career at a very early age, her education at the college level had to take a backseat.
Singer, Dancer, Actress, TV Presenter
- Father – Engin Cangüre (Violinist)
- Mother – Emine Gül Sezer Cangüre
- Siblings – Muzaffer Cangüre (Younger Sister), Ferhat Cangüre (Younger Brother)
She is represented by –
- Orhan Alkan, General Manager, Alkan Muzik Agency, Istanbul, Turkey
- Arif Altinkese, Digital Consultant/Partner, Aronsa Agency, Istanbul, Turkey
Classical Turkish, Arabesque, Fantasy, Pop, Folk
- Kervan Plak
- Raks Müzik
- Universal Records
- Emre Plak
- Sibel Can Productıons
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sibel has dated –
- Hakan Ural (1988–1999) – Sibel got married to actor Hakan Ural, who was working as a real estate agent at the time in 1988 at pop singer Zerrin Özer’s house. The couple had two children from the marriage – a son named Engincan Ural (b. January 27, 1992) and a daughter named Melisa Ural (b. August 22, 1994). After a relationship that lasted almost 12 years, the pair got divorced in 1999.
- Sulhi Aksüt (2000-2010) – In March 2000, Sibel married Turkish businessman Sulhi Aksüt and gave birth to a son named Emir Aksüt (b. August 12, 2000). The couple got divorced in 2010 after a decade-long marriage.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Romani descent.
- Dense, silky hair
- Radiant face
- Heavy, operatic voice
Sibel has served as the brand ambassador and appeared in several TV commercials for brands such as Kashmir Hali (Cashmere Carpets).
Best Known For
Her prowess in the classical, folk, and arabesque musical genres
Releasing popular songs such as Padisah (1997), Kendim Dustum (2001), Cakmak Cakmak (2007), Kiskivrak (2009), Kis Masali (2014), and Vallahi Yalan (2018)
Sibel’s first album titled Günah Bize (Sin) was released in 1987. It was produced and released by the label Kervan Plak.
Sibel made her theatrical film debut as Papatya in the 2004 film Papatya ile Karabiber (Black pepper with chamomile).
First TV Show
Sibel made her TV show debut as “Herself” in an episode of the TV series Laf lafi açiyor (The word opens) in June 1994.
Sibel has had issues with her weight for the longest time. However, she has lost weight drastically over the years. She joined weight loss camps thrice and adopted a variety of diets in the 2000s, including the Kimo diet, the Montignac diet, and the Momentum diet. She even underwent a liposuction procedure once. From 2003 to 2012, Sibel had reportedly lost a scarcely believable total of 182 kilograms.
Sibel Can Favorite Things
- Music Genres – Classical, Arabesque, Pop
- Singer – Muazzez Abacı
Source – Hurriyet Daily News
Sibel Can Facts
- She was just 17 years old when she was offered a chance to perform at Istanbul’s Maksim Casino. Due to Sibel being a minor, the casino came under the threat of closure, so her year of birth was changed from 1970 to 1964 so that she could get a work permit to perform at the casino.
- Sibel’s mother was always upset about her early career as a dancer and often used to push her to change course and become a musician instead.
- Her album Özledin mi? (Did you miss me?) sold more than 200k copies in 2006 and received ‘Diamond’ certification from the Turkish industry representative, Mü-Yap.
- During a 2016 concert, Sibel acknowledged legendary musician Orhan Gencebay as the guiding light of her career and credited him for introducing her to the Arabesque music genre, which has pretty much become her calling card. Orhan had also served as the producer of her first few albums.
- In October 2016, Sibel became part of the jury on O Ses Türkiye, the Turkish version of the popular reality singing competition, The Voice.
- In November 2016, she was honored with the “Best Arabesque-Fantasy Music Artist” award at the 43rd Golden Butterfly Awards. At the awards ceremony, she became a target of comedian and talk show host Okan Bayülgen’s fat-shaming jokes. Okan faced severe backlash and criticism across the country and Sibel received tremendous support from fans and the entertainment fraternity, including her ex-husband Hakan Ural.
- At the 45th Golden Butterfly Awards, in 2018, Sibel was awarded as the “Best Fantasy Music Female Singer”. She has also been nominated twice for the “Best Female Fantasy Music Artist” at Turkey’s Golden Palm Awards, in 2018 and 2019.
- Visit her official website @ sibelcan.com.tr.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Sibel Can / Instagram