|Tom Steyer Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||June 27, 1957|
|Spouse||Kathryn Ann Taylor|
Tom Steyer is an American hedge fund manager, philanthropist, environmentalist, liberal activist, politician, producer, and fundraiser who has been a candidate in the 2020 Democratic Party presidential primaries.
Thomas Fahr Steyer
New York City, New York, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Tom Steyer studied at Buckley School and Phillips Exeter Academy. After that, he got enrolled at Yale University and graduated summa cum laude in Economics and Political Science. He was also a member of Phi Beta Kappa as well as captained the soccer team of Yale College.
Moreover, he completed his MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business and was an Arjay Miller Scholar.
Hedge Fund Manager, Philanthropist, Environmentalist, Liberal Activist, Fundraiser, Politician, Producer
- Father – Roy Henry Steyer (Partner in the New York Law Firm of Sullivan & Cromwell, Former Prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials)
- Mother – Marnie (née Fahr) (Teacher of Remedial Reading at the Brooklyn House of Detention)
- Siblings – Jim Steyer (Younger Brother) (Child Advocate, Civil Rights Attorney, Professor, Author), Hume Steyer (Brother) (Attorney in New York City)
- Others – Herman Steyer (Paternal Grandfather), Augusta “Gussie” Simon (Paternal Grandmother), George Edmeston Fahr (Maternal Grandfather), Alice Hume Pearson (Maternal Grandmother), Elizabeth Butler Steyer (Sister-In-Law)
6 ft or 183 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Tom Steyer has dated –
- Kathryn Ann Taylor (1986-Present) – He married Kathryn Ann Taylor in August 1986 and the duo has 4 children – 3 sons named Samuel Taylor (“Sam”), Charles Augustus, and Henry Hume (“Henry”), and a daughter named Evelyn Hoover (“Evi”).
Race / Ethnicity
Tom Steyer is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent on his father’s side and has German, English, and Scottish roots on his mother’s side.
- Deep-set eyes
- Thin lips
He developed an interest in the Episcopal Church during his 30s.
Tom Steyer Facts
- He co-founded the One PacificCoast Bank (later Beneficial State Bank) along with his wife in 2007.
- In 2013, Tom Steyer founded the progressive advocacy nonprofit and political action committee, NextGen America.
- He has often been described as a modest man and has also signed The Giving Pledge along with his wife. Men’s Journal once noted that he owns an “outdated hybrid Honda Accord” and avoids spending on luxury items.
- Tom Steyer is one of the many personalities, including Robert De Niro, Kamala Harris, and Cory Booker, who received suspicious packages from convicted mail bomber Cesar Sayoc in 2018.
- He has also worked for several causes related to the environment and won the Phillip Burton Public Service Award of Consumer Watchdog in 2011.
- As a producer, Tom Steyer has served on projects like Years of Living Dangerously, Becoming Bulletproof, and La Mission.
- He has also garnered a decent fan base on social media with more than 800k followers on Facebook, more than 500k followers on Twitter, and more than 100k followers on Instagram.
Featured Image by NextGen Climate / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0