Well, we all know the cute guy from Zodiac and Brokeback Mountain, who has stolen our hearts with his confused looks and searching eyes. Yes, you are right; we are talking about Jake Gyllenhaal. The charismatic 32 year old has not only amazed the audience with his acting but also his looks and dedication. One of his most famous transformations is that for “Prince of Persia” where he showed off ripped muscles and abs. He looked great, didn’t he? But do you know where that came from? He was not a fitness guy before this, but he did it with style. Well, hold your breath and read ahead to know about his workout and diet regime. Jake is considered as the fittest guy in Hollywood and he really works hard on his fitness, just check out what he says about his workout regime –
“I’ve had to teach myself to slow down a bit. Because I get so into it, it becomes a real addiction.”
JAKE GYLLENHAAL WORKOUT ROUTINE
- HIIT: There are very few celebrities who can build a reputation with HIIT-High Intensity Interval Training. HIIT involves doing strenuous exercises within a short period followed by smaller rests. Jake used to do it by going for a 10 minute uphill sprint and then do some exercises for the abs at the top of the hill. Repeating it five times, he followed it with a 10 minute run and then some stretching.
- CARDIO: Running is very important for increasing stamina and to some extent building muscles. A 90 minute outdoor cardio workout is what Jake did with a 20 pound jacket to simulate the armor of Prince of Persia.
- PARKOUR: A very exciting outdoor sport, parkour workout was an integral part of Jake’s routine. He started out with gymnastics and then moved on to jumps on harder surfaces like roof tops, benches, bridges and beams. He always made sure he did a bit of cardio before parkour training and focused more on landings to increase agility.
- BUILDING MUSCLES: Increasing speed and agility is one thing and building muscles is another. Jake specially spend one hour in the evening for training with resistance cables followed by push-ups, pull-ups and weight training for abs. He finishes it with stretching and brisk walking.
JAKE GYLLENHAAL DIET PLAN
- THE MORNING SNACK: Before starting the workout, Jake made sure that he had a banana with a few dry fruits and nuts and an espresso. He was told that it was important to eat something light yet healthy and nutritious before such strenuous workout as going opposed to it would make him fatigued.
- A HEALTHY BREAKFAST: After a workout, one loses a lot of salts by sweating. Jake compensated for that with an isotonic drink besides a little bit of protein shake and an egg-white omelette. Eating breakfast is a must, especially when you are working out on a regular basis. It restores energy and allows you to go about the rest of your day without any physical restraints.
- A LIGHT LUNCH AND A LIGHTER DINNER: Jake focused more on nutrition rather than quantity to build muscles in tandem with the hard-core exercises he was doing throughout the day. For lunch, he kept it light by having a baked potato with some tuna and a salad. And at night he kept it even more lighter by drinking a healthy soup and a small amount of protein shake. Jake believes protein shake should not be consumed unnecessarily, but only after heavy workout sessions.
- SUPPLEMENTS AND RESTRICTIONS: Avoiding certain foods is very necessary and undeniable if one wants to build muscles. Jake had to keep away from any foods containing refined sugar, though he was allowed a very occasional small amount of wine. Water cannot be called a supplement but Jake was told to have over 2 liters of water daily. He also consumed protein bars, dark chocolate and supplements rich in omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids.
So, this is how Jake did it and if you too want to look like him, then go ahead and follow this plan after you consult your doctor. Eat healthy and workout harder and look as spectacular as the Prince of Persia.