|Abdoulaye Doucouré Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||January 1, 1993|
Abdoulaye Doucouré is considered by many as a perfect example of a complete modern midfielder. His has strength, stamina, and drive to surge into the attack from the deep. His decent passing ability and positioning help him deliver goods from the defensive midfield, the position in which he got his start at Watford. However, his preferred and best-suited role is that of a box to box midfielder. He also has an invaluable knack of arriving in the right place at a right time, which helped him finish as top scorer for his team in the 2017-18 season. His great performances have led to him being linked with the established English clubs such as Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur.
Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom
Abdoulaye Doucouré polished his game and skills at the youth academy of the French club, Rennes.
Professional Soccer Player
- Mother – Benta
- Siblings – He has 6 older siblings and one younger sibling.
8, 28 – Stade Rennais F.C.
16 – Granada CF, Watford F.C.
6 ft or 183 cm
77 kg or 169.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Abdoulaye Doucouré isn’t a fan of sharing details of his personal life on the public platform. Therefore, he has refrained from revealing his wife’s identity. However, we do know that they parent a baby girl, Benta, whom they have named in honor of Doucouré’s mother.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Malian ancestry.
Imposing physical presence
Abdoulaye Doucouré has inked a personal endorsement deal with Adidas. Because of the deal, he wears Adidas cleats for his professional matches. He also uses his social media activity to plug Adidas products.
Best Known For
His great performances in the heart of Watford‘s midfield. His steady outputs had led to many experts and analysts claiming that he is one of the finest central midfielders in the English Top Flight. His ability to contribute goals has also been a big plus in his career.
First Soccer Match
In April 2013, Abdoulaye Doucouré made his professional debut with Rennes in a Ligue 1 match against Stade Brest. He came in as a substitute in the 2nd half and managed to mark his debut appearance with a goal.
In February 2016, he made his first appearance for Granada CF in La Liga in a match against Real Madrid. He replaced Adalberto Peñaranda in the 80th minute in his side’s 2-1 loss.
In August 2016, he made his debut for Watford F.C. in a Premier League match against Chelsea. He played the last 6 minutes of the match which ended in a 2-1 defeat for his team.
- Driving runs
- Technical ability
- Passing range
Abdoulaye Doucouré Facts
- While studying in school, he used to participate in athletics events. He was quite good in long distance runs, which has certainly been elemental in development of his great stamina.
- In his school days, he was also known for his eloquence and intelligence. When he was 12 years old, he was elected as one of his school’s municipal advisers.
- He used his position as a municipal advisor to lobby the local authorities for the construction of adequate soccer facilities near Vigne Blanche, which is an infamous underprivileged neighborhood in West Paris.
- He joined his first soccer club at the age of 11 as he started his journey at OFC Les Mureaux. His mother hadn’t allowed him to join any club earlier as she didn’t want him crossing the busy roads.
- After spending a few years at OFC Les Mureaux, he felt it was time for him to join bigger Paris clubs. However, his first trial at the iconic Clairefontaine Academy ended in a disappointment.
- Doucouré was eventually noticed by a scout from Rennes and he joined the youth academy of the popular French club in 2007. He managed to impress coaches at the club and was promoted to Rennes B team in 2010.
- In February 2016, Watford acquired him from Rennes for an undisclosed fee. Immediately after buying him, Watford decided to send him on a loan to Granada CF, which is owned by the same family as Watford.
- He had come close to joining the English club in the summer transfer window of 2015. However, he decided to reject the move as his partner was pregnant with their first child.
- In the 2016 summer transfer window, Watford decided to sell him to the French club, Lorient. However, he missed out on the transfer because the paperwork was filed 33 seconds late. In fact, he was waiting on the tarmac at Luton for the private jet so that he could complete his transfer when his agent informed him that the transfer was called off.
- In the 2016-17 season, Abdoulaye Doucouré had to wait for his turn as club manager Walter Mazzarri took time to place trust in him. However, his work in the training and his attitude eventually swayed the Italian tactician.
- The 2017-18 season proved to be his breakthrough season as he took his game to the next level and scored 7 goals in his 37 league appearances. In fact, he was the top scorer for his team in the league.
- He was declared Player of the Season for Watford at the end of 2017-18 season. He was selected as the winner by the club’s fans.
- In August 2018, he signed an improved new contract with his new club, which extended his stay at the club until 2023.
Featured Image by S. Plaine / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0