|Andre Russell Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||April 29, 1988|
Andre Russell is a Jamaican professional cricketer who is a white-ball (limited-overs) specialist and has represented the West Indies team as an all-rounder, sporadically, in the T20I and ODI formats. He has excelled in franchise-based T20 leagues around the world, playing more than 300 games, and is often recognized as one of the greatest T20 players of all time. He is renowned for his powerful ball-striking in the lower middle-order, electric fielding, and an uncanny knack of picking up wickets with the ball. Andre was a key part of the West Indies squads that won the World T20 event in both 2012 and 2016. He has also won the IPL’s (Indian Premier League) MVP (Most Valuable Player) award in 2015 and 2019.
Andre Dwayne Russell
Andre is a high school graduate. He decided to forgo further education to pursue a cricketing career.
- Father – Michael Russell
- Mother – Sandra Davis (Teacher)
- Siblings – He has 3 younger siblings.
12 – ODI, T20I, IPL, BBL, CPL
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Andre has dated –
- Jassym Lora – Andre got married to his long-time girlfriend and American model Jassym Lora in 2016. They have a daughter named Aaliyah Russell (b. 2019).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Jamaican descent.
- Mohawk hairstyle which is often dyed blonde
- Affable smile
Andre has served as the ambassador for brands such as –
- Rock It (Monte Carlo Fashions Limited’s sportswear brand)
- Foska Oats
Andre Russell Favorite Things
- Cricketer – Chris Gayle
- Sports – Soccer, Cricket
- Soccer Position – Goalkeeper
- Soccer Club – Manchester United
Andre Russell Facts
- He first made a splash in domestic cricket in 2010 when he was playing for Barnards Green Cricket Club in Worcestershire, England. His stellar all-round show that season helped his club earn a promotion from Worcestershire Cricket League to Birmingham League cricket.
- Andre made his international debut for the West Indies in the Test Match format, in November 2010. However, as of January 2020, he had not played any other Test Match. All his subsequent games for the West Indies thereafter came in the T20I and ODI formats as he became a white-ball (limited-overs) specialist after playing his last first-class game (domestic cricket’s equivalent of a Test Match) in 2014.
- In September 2013, in a match against the representative ‘India A’ team, he became the first bowler to take 4 wickets from consecutive deliveries in a T20 game.
- In November 2014, he released 2 singles under the name ‘Dre Russ’, one of which was in collaboration with famed Jamaican singer Beenie Man.
- For his sparkling performances in the 2016 World T20, which he won for the 2nd time with the West Indies, he was named in the ‘Team of the Tournament’ by the ICC (International Cricket Council), ESPN Cricinfo, as well as Cricbuzz. He was also named in the ‘T20 XI of the Year’ by ESPN Cricinfo in both 2016 and 2018.
- In a 2018 CPL (Caribbean Premier League) game, he scored a hundred in just 40 balls breaking his record of a 42-ball hundred that he had set in the 2016 season of the CPL. He then went on to take a hat-trick in the same match. This made him only the 2nd player in T20 history to achieve the rare feat of scoring a hundred and taking a hat-trick in the same game.
- During a 2019 World Cup league game against Australia, he became the then-quickest batsman, in terms of balls faced (767), to reach the milestone of 1,000 runs in the ODI format.
- He smashed 52 sixes in the 2019 season of IPL which was only the 3rd time a player had managed to hit more than 50 sixes in a single season of the tournament. It was also, till then, the 2nd-highest number of sixes in a single season of IPL which was only behind Chris Gayle’s record haul of 59 sixes in the 2012 season.
- While he was enjoying the most fruitful spell of his cricketing career in the mid-2010s, Andre was charged by the JADCO (Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission) for violating its ‘whereabouts clause’ thrice in 2015, an offense that was the equivalent of 1 failed dope test. After lengthy hearings, he was banned from active cricket for 1 year by an independent panel in Jamaica. His ban lasted from January 31, 2017, to January 30, 2018.
- In June 2022, after the completion of IPL 2022, he gifted himself a green-colored Mercedes-Benz AMG GT R sports car.
Featured Image by Andre Russell / Instagram