|Avishka Fernando Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||April 5, 1998|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Avishka Fernando is a Sri Lankan professional cricketer who has represented his country in both the limited-overs versions of the sport (ODIs and T20Is), as an opening batsman. In the Sri Lankan domestic circuit, he has played for Colts Cricket Club (2018–Present) across all 3 formats. A hard-hitting top-order batsman, he has turned out for franchise-based T20 clubs like Chittagong Vikings (2019-Present) in the BPL (Bangladesh Premier League) and Jaffna Stallions (2020-Present) in the LPL (Lankan Premier League).
Weerahandige Inol Avishka Fernando
Wadduwa, Western Province, Sri Lanka
Avishka had attended St. Sebastian’s College, a Catholic institution in Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
Right-Arm Medium Fast
28 – One Day International (ODI), T20 International (T20I)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
77 kg or 170 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Sri Lankan descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, side-parted hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a thin beard
Avishka Fernando Facts
- As of July 2021, Avishka holds the record for scoring the most number of runs (1,379) and the most number of hundreds (4) for Sri Lanka in Youth ODIs. He was also a member of the Sri Lankan team that had won the ACC Emerging Teams Asia Cup title in 2017.
- In Sri Lanka’s quarter-final encounter against England, in the 2016 ICC Under-19 World Cup, he had scored a cracking knock of 95 runs to help his team chase down a target of 184 runs. His team lost the semi-final to India and had finished the tournament in a creditable 4th place. Later that year, he had scored 2 centuries in a row against England in a bilateral under-19 series as the Sri Lankan team managed a whitewash of England for the first time, in England.
- He had made his ODI debut in August 2016, as an 18-year-old, in a match against Australia. There was some criticism on this decision in Sri Lanka as he had not yet played a domestic match in Sri Lanka in any of the 3 formats. The inexperience was there to see as he was dismissed for a 2-ball duck in that match.
- In his very first ICC Cricket World Cup appearance, in 2019, he had scored a sublime knock of 49 runs against tournament-favorites England. His contribution turned out to be critical as Sri Lanka managed to hand the hosts a shock 20-run defeat. This was Sri Lanka’s 4th successive World Cup win against England. Later in the tournament, in a match against the West Indies, he had scored his maiden ODI hundred and was named the ‘Player of the Match’.
- Later that year, he had scored 82 runs off 75 balls in an ODI match against Bangladesh. His contribution had helped Sri Lanka win the series by a margin of 2-0. This was their first series win on home soil in 44 months.
- In February 2020, in an ODI match against the West Indies, he and Kusal Mendis had stitched together a mammoth partnership of 239 runs for the 3rd wicket. This was the then highest 3rd-wicket partnership for Sri Lanka in ODIs.
Featured Image by Avishka Fernando / Instagram