|Avishka Fernando Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||April 5, 1998|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Avishka Fernando is a Sri Lankan professional cricketer who has represented his country in both the limited-overs versions of the sport (ODIs and T20Is), as an opening batsman. In the Sri Lankan domestic circuit, he has played for Colts Cricket Club (2018–Present) across all 3 formats. A hard-hitting top-order batsman, he has turned out for franchise-based T20 clubs like Chittagong Vikings (2019-Present) in the BPL (Bangladesh Premier League) and Jaffna Stallions (now known as Jaffna Kings) (2020-Present) in the LPL (Lankan Premier League). With Jaffna Stallions/Jaffna Kings, he won the LPL title in the first 3 seasons of the tournament (2020, 2021, 2022). In the 2020 season, he was the 4th-highest run-getter in the tournament (275 runs). In the 2021 season, he was the 2nd-highest run-getter in the tournament (312 runs) and was named the ‘Player of the Series’. That season, he won the ‘Player of the Match’ award in the final as well as qualifier 2 (preliminary final). In the 2022 season, he was the highest run-getter in the tournament (339 runs) and again won the ‘Player of the Match’ award in the final.
Weerahandige Inol Avishka Fernando
Wadduwa, Western Province, Sri Lanka
Avishka had attended St. Sebastian’s College, a Catholic institution in Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
Right-Arm Medium Fast
28 – One Day International (ODI), T20 International (T20I)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
77 kg or 170 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Sri Lankan descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, side-parted hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a thin beard
Avishka Fernando Facts
- As of July 2021, Avishka holds the record for scoring the most number of runs (1,379) and the most number of hundreds (4) for Sri Lanka in Youth ODIs. He was also a member of the Sri Lankan team that had won the ACC Emerging Teams Asia Cup title in 2017.
- In Sri Lanka’s quarter-final encounter against England, in the 2016 ICC Under-19 World Cup, he had scored a cracking knock of 95 runs to help his team chase down a target of 184 runs. His team lost the semi-final to India and had finished the tournament in a creditable 4th place. Later that year, he had scored 2 centuries in a row against England in a bilateral under-19 series as the Sri Lankan team managed a whitewash of England for the first time, in England.
- He had made his ODI debut in August 2016, as an 18-year-old, in a match against Australia. There was some criticism on this decision in Sri Lanka as he had not yet played a domestic match in Sri Lanka in any of the 3 formats. The inexperience was there to see as he was dismissed for a 2-ball duck in that match.
- In his very first ICC Cricket World Cup appearance, in 2019, he had scored a sublime knock of 49 runs against tournament-favorites England. His contribution turned out to be critical as Sri Lanka managed to hand the hosts a shock 20-run defeat. This was Sri Lanka’s 4th successive World Cup win against England. Later in the tournament, in a match against the West Indies, he had scored his maiden ODI hundred and was named the ‘Player of the Match’.
- Later that year, he had scored 82 runs off 75 balls in an ODI match against Bangladesh. His contribution had helped Sri Lanka win the series by a margin of 2-0. This was their first series win on home soil in 44 months.
- In February 2020, in an ODI match against the West Indies, he and Kusal Mendis had stitched together a mammoth partnership of 239 runs for the 3rd wicket. This was the then highest 3rd-wicket partnership for Sri Lanka in ODIs.
- In August 2023, it was revealed that Avishka had tested positive for COVID-19.
Featured Image by Avishka Fernando / Instagram