|Aymeric Laporte Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||May 27, 1994|
Aymeric Laporte‘s immense potential was well evident when he formally joined Bilbao at the age of 16 in 2010. His arrival at the club sparked a debate about his eligibility but over the years, it turned out to be a great decision for the club. After his debut in 2012, he established himself as a key component of the team. His composure, technical ability, and reading of the game made him one of the most sought-after prospects in the Bilbao lineup. He attracted interest from some of the biggest clubs including Manchester United and Barcelona. He eventually joined Manchester City as Pep Guardiola pushed for his transfer to shore up his backline. By the start of 2018-19 season, he had become Guardiola‘s first choice central defender.
Aymeric Jean Louis Gerard Alphonse Laporte
Agen, Aquitaine, France
Aymeric Laporte started his soccer journey with the youth setup of SU Agen Football. Then, he joined the Basque club, Athletic Bilbao, and trained with their youth team for a couple of seasons before being promoted to the senior squad.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – His father used to play rugby and soccer.
- Mother – His mother used to play soccer.
- Siblings – He has an older sister who has also played soccer.
Aymeric Laporte is represented by Carles Puyol and Ivan de la Pena’s management agency.
4, 14, 38 – Athletic Bilbao
14 – Manchester City
5 – France National team
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
82 kg or 180.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Aymeric Laporte has dated –
- Sara Botello – Laporte is in a relationship with Sara Botello who is a professional dancer. He had been dating Sara since his early years at Athletic Bilbao. It has been reported that it was Sara’s family that helped him settle down after he had joined Bilbao.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Basque ancestry.
Aymeric Laporte has inked a personal sponsorship deal with Adidas and as per the clauses of the deal, he is required to wear Adidas cleats for his professional matches. He also uses his social media posts to promote Adidas products.
Best Known For
Being one of the finest young central defenders in the European Top Flights. During his stay with Athletic Bilbao, he managed to show off his immense talent in over 220 matches. He was considered one of the most technically gifted central defenders during his stay in Spain.
First Soccer Match
In November 2012, Aymeric Laporte made his professional debut with Athletic Bilbao in a UEFA Europa League match against Hapoel Ironi Kiryat Shmona F.C. He played the full match as his side won by 2-0.
In January 2018, he made his Premier League debut for Manchester City in a home match against West Bromwich Albion. They won the match by 3-0.
- Aerial Ability
- Technical Ability
- Often loses focus in the match
First Web Show
In 2018, Aymeric Laporte made his first web show appearance in Amazon web show, All or Nothing: Manchester City.
Aymeric Laporte Favorite Things
- Idol – Sylvain Wiltord
Source – ESPN
Aymeric Laporte Facts
- He started playing soccer as well as rugby at the tender age of 5.
- When he made his debut for Athletic Bilbao in November 2012, he became the 2nd Frenchman to have represented the Basque club after Bixente Lizarazu.
- After he impressed its scouts, he was invited to join Athletic Bilbao in 2009. The invitation sparked a debate at the Basque club who are known for signing players only from the Basque region. Many felt that although he has Basque ancestry, he wasn’t born in the region and, therefore, didn’t meet the selection criteria.
- As he was too young to move out of France in 2009, Bilbao reached an arrangement through which he joined Aviron Bayonnais FC for a season. He formally joined Bilbao in 2010.
- In January 2013, he signed a contract extension with Bilbao to extend his stay at the club until 2016. His release clause was increased to €27.5 million.
- He scored his first professional goal in October 2013 as he scored the only goal of the match between Bilbao and Getafe CF.
- In the 2013-14 season, he got his breakthrough as coach Ernesto Valverde made him an integral part of the senior team. In that season, he made 35 appearances for the club and managed to score 2 goals as well.
- He was included in the La Liga Team of the Year at the end of 2013-14 season. The team is selected by reporters of the Liga de Fútbol Profesional.
- He signed another contract extension with Bilbao in June 2016 which extended his stay at the club to 2020. The new contract set his release clause at €65 million.
- In August 2015, he won the Supercopa de España with Bilbao as they managed to defeat Barcelona by 5-1 on aggregate. It was the 1st silverware of his professional career and Bilbao‘s first trophy in 31 years.
- In January 2018, Manchester City paid £57 million to Bilbao to secure Laporte’s services. It was the highest amount paid by the English club and the highest transfer fee Basque club has received for a player.
- He scored his first goal for Manchester City in August 2018 in a Premier League match against Wolverhampton Wanderers. His goal helped his side draw the away match.
- He was captain of the under-19 French team at the 2013 UEFA European Championship in which they managed to finish as runner-ups. He was included in the Team of the Tournament.
- In March 2016, he suffered a horrible injury during the 2017 European Under-21 Championship qualifier against Scotland as he fractured his right fibula and dislocated his ankle.
- After getting frustrated with the wait to get selected in the France national team, he started the procedure to make himself eligible for the Spain National team in August 2016. He was encouraged to do so by the Spanish head coach, Julen Lopetegui.
- However, after he called up for 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Bulgaria and the Netherlands by French head coach Didier Deschamps, he decided to not to go for the Spanish nationality and completely focus on playing for the French national team.
- Follow Aymeric Laporte on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Aymeric Laporte / Instagram