|Charlie Wilson Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||January 29, 1953|
Charlie Wilson is an American singer, songwriter, and record producer who is known as the former lead vocalist of the Gap Band. He was able to make a solid start as a solo artist and has become a recipient of many nominations and awards as an individual artist. In his career achievements, he has been nominated for numerous awards such as Grammy Awards and NAACP Image Awards.
Charles Kent Wilson
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
He attended Booker T. Washington and later went to Langston University for his college education.
Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer
- Father – Reverend Oscar Wilson (Church of God in Christ Minister)
- Siblings – Ronnie Wilson (Older Brother), Robert Wilson (Younger Brother)
He self-manages himself.
R&B, Hip Hop, Soul, Funk
Vocals, Keyboards, Organs, Drums
- Interscope Records
- Jive Records
- P Music
- RCA Records
- MCA Records
- Elektra Records
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Charlie Wilson has dated –
- Mahin Tat (1995-Present) – Charlie Wilson and Mahin Tat got married in 1995, the same year he met her during his time in a drug rehabilitation program where Tat was the one in charge as his social worker.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
Charlie Wilson Facts
- He often sang in church with his brothers Ronnie and Robert during their father’s Sunday sermons accompanied by their mother on piano.
- Back in high school, he used to perform in a school’s choir. This early encounter with music was also the beginning of his musical journey with the Gap Band and his career as a soloist.
- While attending Langston University, Wilson was a drum major in the Langston University Marching Pride.
- His brothers Robert and Ronnie were his helping hands during the time they were shaping up and popularizing an upbeat form of funk music. The band’s song tracks include Outstanding, Party Train, Yearning for Your Love, Burn Rubber on Me, You Dropped a Bomb on Me, and Oops Upside Your Head. After releasing a total of 15 albums in their career, the band had officially announced their retirement in 2010.
- Famous rapper Snoop Dogg who also happens to be his good friend gave him the nickname “Uncle Charlie”.
- Michael Paran, the CEO of P Music Group, who has managed him for numerous years, convinced Wilson to pursue a solo career. The two worked together and independently released Wilson’s first solo album titled Bridging the Gap which earned them Wilson’s first no. 1 Billboard Urban Adult Contemporary single called Without You.
- In 2004, he signed a multi-album deal with Jive Records. Under this label, he debuted his first album, Charlie, Last Name Wilson in the fall of 2005 which featured production from a number of top-billed producers including R. Kelly, Justin Timberlake, will.i.am, Kay Gee, the Underdogs, and the Platinum Brothers.
- He has done collaborative works with many top artists including Aminé, Kanye West, Tyler, The Creator, Fantasia, John Newman, Keith Sweat, Babyface, and Zapp.
- In 2018, he was added to the final leg of Bruno Mars‘s 24K Magic Tour.
- After he was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2008, he started working with the Prostate Cancer Foundation and has encouraged black men to be tested for the disease.
Featured Image by Cees van der Pol / Wikimedia / CC-BY-3.0