|Cicely Tyson Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3½ in|
|Date of Birth||December 19, 1924|
Cicely Tyson is an American actress, voiceover artist, producer, and former fashion model who has showcased her acting finesse by bringing to life several prominent African-American women characters in various projects. She has also won accolades including Primetime Emmy Awards, Black Reel Awards, Screen Actors Guild Award, Tony Award, and an honorary Academy Award and was honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom in November 2016.
Harlem, Manhattan, New York City, United States
She has received honorary degrees from Clark Atlanta University, Columbia University, Howard University, and Morehouse College.
Actress, Voiceover Artist, Producer, Former Fashion Model
- Father – William Augustine Tyson (Worked different jobs like carpenter, painter)
- Mother – Frederica Tyson (Domestic Worker)
- Siblings – Issac Tyson (Brother), Sandra Tyson (Sister)
- Others – John Tyson (Paternal Grandfather), Caroline Wilkes (Paternal Grandmother), Charles Huggins (Maternal Grandfather), Mary Sergeant (Maternal Grandmother), Cathy Tyson (Niece) (Actress)
Cicely Tyson is represented by Paradigm Talent Agency, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
5 ft 3½ in or 161 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Cicely Tyson has dated –
- Kenneth Franklin – She married Kenneth Franklin on December 27, 1942, but the marriage eventually ended.
- Billy Dee Williams (1954-1966)
- Jimmy Kind (1959) – Rumor
- Miles Davis (1970-1988) – After being romantically involved for many years, she married jazz trumpeter Miles Davis on November 26, 1981, in a ceremony conducted by Atlanta mayor Andrew Young at the home of actor Bill Cosby. Tyson and Davis had a rough married life due to Davis’ volatile temper and infidelity and Tyson filed for divorce in 1988.
Race / Ethnicity
Cicely Tyson is of African-Nevisian descent.
- Often portrayed strong images of women
- High cheekbones
She was part of a National Coffee Association Commercial in 1984.
Cicely Tyson Facts
- Her parents immigrated from Nevis in the West Indies.
- She brought to life the character of Jane Pittman in the 1974 television drama film, The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman, for which Cicely Tyson won a Primetime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Lead Actress – Miniseries or a Movie” and an Emmy Award for “Actress of the Year – Special”.
- In 1977, she was cast as Binta in the critically acclaimed historical drama miniseries, Roots, and was nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Single Performance by a Supporting Actress in a Comedy or Drama Series”.
- Cicely Tyson received a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7080 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California on August 21, 1997.
- She has been friends with actor and director Kevin Hooks.
- She is a member of the Delta Sigma Theta sorority.
- Cicely Tyson and Arthur Mitchell co-founded the Dance Theatre of Harlem.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / Flickr / CC BY 2.0