|Cliff Richard Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10½ in|
|Date of Birth||October 14, 1940|
Cliff Richard is a legendary British singer, performer, actor, and philanthropist. He is known for his Rock & Roll persona while delivering hit numbers like Move It, Living Doll, Miss You Nights, Devil Woman, We Don’t Talk Anymore, and Take Me High. Cliff has many laurels to his name including the only singer (along with Elvis) to make it into the UK singles charts for 6 decades between the 1950s and 2000s. He has acted in films like The Young Ones, Summer Holiday, and Take Me High. He has a huge social media fan base with more than 300k followers on Facebook.
Harry Rodger Webb
The Peter Pan of Pop, Riff Cliché, Cliff Richard
Lucknow, United Provinces, British India
- New York City, New York, United States
Cliff Richard studied at the local primary school, Stanley Park Juniors, in Carshalton. After that, he attended Kings Road Junior Mixed Infants School in Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire and later joined Cheshunt Secondary Modern School from 1952 to 1957.
Musician, Actor, Philanthropist
- Father – Rodger Oscar Webb (Worked as Manager for a catering contractor that serviced the Indian Railways)
- Mother – Dorothy Marie Dazely (Dormitory Matron at the La Martiniere Girls’ School)
- Siblings – Joan (Sister), Jacqui (Sister), Donna (Sister)
- Others – Frederick William Webb (Paternal Grandfather), Thomas Benjamin Webb (Paternal Great Grandfather), Amelia Sophia Smart (Paternal Great Grandmother), Donella Eugenie “Dewy” Woodfall (Paternal Grandmother), William James Woodfall (Paternal Great Grandfather), Gertrude Eliza Jensen (Paternal Great Grandmother), William Edward Dazely (Maternal Grandfather), Albert Edward Dazely (Maternal Great Grandfather), Daisy Haines (Maternal Great Grandmother), Dorothy Edith Bridgwater (Maternal Grandmother), William Brock Bridgwater (Maternal Great Grandfather), Marie Beatrice Smith (Maternal Great Grandmother)
Cliff Richard is represented by –
- Malcolm Smith, General Manager
- The Cliff Richard Organisation
Rock and Roll, Pop, Pop Rock, CCM
Vocals, Guitar, Percussion
- EMI’s Columbia Records
- EMI Records
- Epic Records
- Decca Records
- Rocket Records
- Papillon Records
5 ft 10½ in or 179 cm
71 kg or 156.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Cliff Richard has dated –
- Delia Wicks (1959-1961) – In 1959, Cliff started dating Australian backup dancer Delia Wicks. They met in London while she was working as one of Cliff’s backup dancers. However, Cliff broke up their relationship after 18 months through a letter, stating that he needed to devote his life to his career deciding to sacrifice their love relationship.
- Una Stubbs (1962) – In 1962, Cliff had a passionate affair with British actress Una Stubbs.
- Jackie Irving – In the mid-1960s, Cliff dated dancer Jackie Irving. He almost thought of marrying her.
- Carol Costa – In the past, Cliff had an encounter with the estranged wife of Jet Harris, who was a member of The Shadows, Carol Costa.
- Olivia Newton-John – In the early 1970s, Cliff fell in love with singer Olivia Newton-John. However, Olivia was engaged to another person. Cliff and Olivia have remained friends and have performed together several times.
- Sue Barker (1982-1986) – In 1982, Cliff started a relationship with English television presenter and former professional tennis player Sue Barker. Their relationship attracted a lot of media attention. Cliff even thought of asking her to marry him but later decided that he did not love her enough to commit marrying her. The two remained friends instead.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Asian and White)
He is of English, 1/16 Dutch, 1/16 Welsh, either 1/16 or 1/32 Indian descent.
- Lean figure
- Often wears a suit or jacket
He said that “faith has kept me sensible and shielded me from a lot of problems that someone with my “fame” could have encountered”.
Best Known For
- Being one of the most notable British pop-rock singer with his backing group The Shadows, much before The Beatles era
- His hit songs like Move It, Living Doll, Miss You Nights, Devil Woman, We Don’t Talk Anymore, The Young Ones, Summer Holiday, and Wonderful Life, among others
- His performance in films like The Young Ones (1961), Summer Holiday (1963), Wonderful Life (1964), Finders Keepers (1966), Two a Penny (1968), and Take Me High (1973)
In 1959, Cliff Richard released his debut album titled Cliff with his band The Drifters (later known as The Shadows). The album was recorded live-in-the-studio at EMI Recording Studios in front of hundreds of fans. The album had 16 songs and reached number 4 in the UK album chart.
In 1959, he made his theatrical film debut in the drama film Serious Charge as Curley Thompson.
First TV Show
In 1958, he made his first TV show appearance on the family musical series Oh Boy! as “Himself”.
Cliff Richard leads an active lifestyle. He used to play tennis 3 times a week.
As for his diet, he follows the Blood Type Diet. He also takes supplements daily like the Centrum multivitamin and a dose of lecithin along with a glass or two of his own wine produced at his vineyard in Portugal.
Cliff Richard Favorite Things
- Food – Indian curry
- Drink – Vida Nova wine produced at his vineyard in Portugal
Cliff Richard Facts
- After India got its Independence, Cliff and his family traveled via sea to Tilbury, Essex, England.
- At the age of 16, his father presented him a guitar.
- His first band was the school vocal harmony group called The Quintones formed in 1957.
- He adopted the name “Cliff” as it sounded like “cliff face” meaning “Rock”, while, his last name Richard came about as a tribute to his musical hero Little Richard.
- In 1958, Cliff Richard and the Drifters gave their first huge performance at the Regal Ballroom in Ripley, Derbyshire.
- His song We Don’t Talk Anymore (1979) became one of the best-selling singles having sold more than 5 million copies sold worldwide.
- One of his best-selling albums with 2 million copies sold worldwide is the Private Collection (1988).
- In 1968, he represented the United Kingdom in Eurovision Song Contest and sang the song Congratulations written and composed by Bill Martin and Phil Coulter, but lost by a point to Spain’s “La La La”.
- From 1958 to 1999, he had 14 #1 hit songs.
- In 1980, he received the O.B.E. (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) award for his services to music.
- In 1995, he became the first pop star of UK to be knighted for his numerous charity works.
- He became a part of the UK’s Music Hall of Fame for his contribution to British musical culture on November 11, 2004.
- In 2010, he was confirmed as the citizen of Barbados.
- In August 2014, the police searched his home in the United Kingdom following an allegation of s*xual abuse of a minor, however, the charge was dropped later.
- Following the coverage of his house raid by BBC, Cliff relocated to the United States in 2019.
- Even if he didn’t have a successful career in singing, he would have been involved in the music industry someway whether that was writing or producing.
- He would have loved to have met Bill Haley, who he considers as one of the legendary Rock ‘n’ Roll singers.
- He has never been bothered about not having his own children.
- One of his fondest memories from his career is receiving a knighthood for services to music and charity.
- He owns a German shepherd at his place in Portugal.
- In a house fire, the items he would grab would be his knighthood medal and a black and white photo of his parents.
- Cliff has supported many charities, including Tearfund and Alzheimer’s Research UK.
- He has also founded charitable organizations like Cliff Richard Tennis Foundation and The Cliff Richard Charitable Trust.
- Visit his official website @ www.cliffrichard.org.
- Follow him on Facebook and YouTube.
Featured Image by Eva Rinaldi / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0