|Daniel Wu Quick Info
|5 ft 11.75 in
|Date of Birth
|September 30, 1974
Daniel Wu is a Hong Kongese actor, director, and producer who is dubbed as one of the flexible and distinctive lead actors in the Chinese film industry. Apart from being an actor, he is also a trained martial artist and is also known for portraying the character of Sunny in AMC’s martial arts drama series Into the Badlands. Daniel has more than 800k followers on Instagram.
Daniel N. Wu
Daniel Ng, Yin-Cho Ng, Yin-Jo Ng, Daniel N. Wu, Yan-zu Wu, Yanzu Wu, Daniel Wu Yanzu, Ng Yin-Jo, Dan
Berkeley, California, United States
Daniel generally divides his time between Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Beijing.
Daniel went to Head-Royce School in Oakland, California. He later studied Architecture at the University of Oregon.
Actor, Director, Producer, Screenwriter
- Father – George Wu (Retired Engineer)
- Mother – Diana Wu (College Professor)
- Siblings – Greta Wu (Older Sister), Gloria Wu (Older Sister)
Daniel is represented by Jackie & Willie Productions Ltd.
5 ft 11¾ in or 182 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Daniel has dated –
- Maggie Q – Daniel was rumored to be dating American actress Maggie Q in the past.
- Lisa Selesner – Daniel married American model, actress, and Channel V veejay Lisa Selesner on April 6th, 2010. The couple is proud parents to a daughter named Rave (b. June 2013).
Race / Ethnicity
Daniel is of Chinese descent.
Daniel has done print advertising for Crocodile label clothing. He is also the spokesperson for brands like Seiko and L’Oréal.
Best Known For
- Being a “flexible and distinctive” actor in the Chinese film industry
- Portraying the character of Sunny in AMC’s martial arts drama series Into the Badlands
Daniel made his theatrical film debut in Young & Dangerous: The Prequel as Big Head in 1998.
First TV Show
Daniel’s first TV show appearance was in MTV Whatever Things as himself in 2003.
In 2016, Daniel was training 5 days a week and his workout session was two-and-a-half hours long under the guidance of his personal trainer Matt Lucas. He was trained in Shaolin Kung Fu, Wushu, Muay Thai, and western boxing.
Being a trained martial artist, Daniel’s body had suffered several injuries, including an ACL tear and so he practiced martial arts yoga to keep himself flexible, efficient, and fully aware of his body and mind.
Daniel Wu Favorite Things
- Idols – Jackie Chan, Jet Li
- Directors – Akira Kurosawa, Luc Besson
- Sports – Basketball, Boxing, Wushu, Boardsports
- Films – The Godfather (1972), Pulp Fiction (1994), Citizen Kane (1941)
Daniel Wu Facts
- At the age of 6, Daniel watched Jet Li in The Shaolin Temple and was inspired to learn kung-fu but his mother was scared to let him fight. It took him almost 4 years to persuade his mother to allow him to learn kung fu.
- Daniel’s kung fu teacher has been a great influence and according to him, he learned many things from his teacher that even his parents could not teach him such as Buddhism and Taoism.
- In college, Daniel’s minor was in art history so he attended many film classes and watched many international art movies, mainly by the late Akira Kurosawa and French director Luc Besson.
- He had no interest in filmmaking till the time he actually started shooting his first film.
- After his college, Wu decided to take a year off and travel to Asia and try his luck in modeling.
- His father was not supportive of his decision to make a career in acting.
- He was scouted for acting by a Hong Kong director through a photograph in a clothing advertisement and he was cast in his first film.
- He also met Jackie Chan in 1988 and was invited to join his management company.
- His film Bishonen also called Beauty was played at the Lumiere Theatre in San Francisco in 1999.
- In 2005, he founded a band called Alive along with Terence Yin and Rotten Tomatoes founders Patrick Lee and Stephen Wang.
- Daniel grew up in a bilingual household where he spoke Shanghainese as well as English. He can also speak Cantonese and Mandarin.
- In his free time, he indulges in Kung Fu practice, traveling, and photography.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Daniel Wu / Instagram