Deedar Singh Randhawa
Dara Singh, Rustam-E-Punjab, Rustam-E-Hind, Ironman of Indian cinema
Dara Singh was 83 when he died on July 12, 2012, in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. He was born on November 19, 1928.
Dharmu Chak (now Amritsar district), British Punjab
Self educated in his Dharmuchak Village
Wrestler and Actor
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
130 kg or 287 pounds (When he was active in Wrestling)
Dara Singh married twice. One of her wife’s name is Shrimati Surjit Kaur Randhawa, whom he married in 1961. From first marriage, he had 1 son Parduman Singh Randhawa and from the second marriage, he had 5 children – 2 sons and 3 daughters, including Vindu Dara Singh, who is a film and TV actor.
Salt and Pepper
Dara Singh had a chest measuring 50 inches.
Best Known For
Performing the role of Hanuman in Hindu epic Ramayana, telecasted on TV in late 1980s. He was also known as a Wrestling champion. He was active in wrestling from a time period of 1964-1983.
1952 film Sangdil
Dara Singh Facts
- Dara Singh is known as the first Action King of Bollywood.
- As a wrestler, Dara Singh fought about 500 bouts and remained undefeated in all of them. So, when he retired, he was an undefeated champion.
- He is the one, who started the trend of 8 pack abs in a hero and taking shirt-off.
- Dara Singh has also directed 5 movies, produced 2 movies and as an actor performed in 144 movies from 1952-2012.
- He became the Champion of Malaysia in 1947.
- Dara Singh inspired actor Akshay Kumar also. Akshay said
“He is Hanuman for every kid and the God of all wrestlers. He is the original action hero who truly inspired me.”