|Dara Singh Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||November 19, 1928|
Dara Singh was a famous professional wrestler, actor, and politician from India. He produced, wrote, directed and acted in a number of Punjabi and Hindi films and television dramas. In 1952, Dara Singh became the first sportsman to be nominated as a member of the upper house (Rajya Sabha). Also, known for his undefeated wrestling streak worldwide, this successful movie star is a role model for many.
In 1976, he rose to prominence by his performance of Lord Hanuman in the film Bajrangi and Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan. He was also paired opposite the gracious Indian actress Mumtaz in 16 Hindi films, where 10 of them were box office hits. Dara Singh has acted in 22 Punjabi films and 122 Hindi films.
Deedar Singh Randhawa
Dara Singh, Rustam-E-Punjab, Rustam-E-Hind, Ironman of Indian cinema
He was born on November 19, 1928.
Dara Singh was 83 when he died on July 12, 2012, in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Dharmu Chak (now Amritsar district), British Punjab
Self-educated in his Dharmuchak Village
Wrestler and Actor
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
127 kg or 280 pounds (When he was active in Wrestling)
Dara Singh married twice. One of his wife’s name is Shrimati Surjit Kaur Randhawa, whom he married in 1961. From first marriage, he had 1 son Parduman Singh Randhawa and from the second marriage, he had 5 children – 2 sons and 3 daughters, including Vindu Dara Singh, who is a film and TV actor.
Salt and Pepper
Dara Singh had a chest measuring 50 inches.
Best Known For
Performing the role of Hanuman in Hindu epic Ramayana, telecasted on TV in late 1980s. He was also known as a Wrestling champion. He was active in wrestling from a time period of 1964-1983.
1952 film Sangdil
Dara Singh Facts
- Dara Singh is known as the first action king of Bollywood.
- Dara Singh was born when India was still under British Raj colonial rule.
- As a wrestler, Dara Singh fought about 500 bouts and remained undefeated in all of them. So, when he retired, he was an undefeated champion.
- In 1970, he founded Dara Pictures.
- He was also the owner of Dara Studio that is based in Mohali, Punjab and is operational as a film studio since 1980.
- He is the one, who started the trend of 8 pack abs in a hero and taking shirt-off.
- Dara Singh has also directed 5 movies, produced 2 movies and as an actor performed in 144 movies from 1952-2012.
- Dara Singh shared a close friendship with his fellow co-star and enemy in the ring – King Kong.
- Dara Singh had also given training to his younger brother Randhawa for professional wrestling.
- He became the Champion of Malaysia in 1947.
- In June 1983, Dara Singh won a tournament held in Delhi and subsequently, announced his retirement as a wrestler.
- He died because of cerebral hemorrhage and cardiac arrest and was cremated at Juhu crematorium in Mumbai.
- One of the men living in Dara’s hometown of Dharmuchak gave an ultimate tribute to Dara Singh after his death by naming his child Dara.
- Dara Singh inspired actor Akshay Kumar also. Akshay once said –
“He is Hanuman for every kid and the God of all wrestlers. He is the original action hero who truly inspired me.”