|Darwin Núñez Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||June 24, 1999|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Darwin Núñez is an Uruguayan professional football player who has played as a striker for Premier League club Liverpool as well as the Uruguay national team.
Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro
Professional Football Player
- Father – Bibiano Núñez (Builder)
- Mother – Silvia Ribeiro (Hawker of milk bottles)
- Siblings – Junior (Older Brother) (Former Football Player)
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Darwin Núñez has dated –
- Lorena Mañas – He has been romantically involved with social media personality Lorena Mañas and the duo was blessed with a baby boy named Darwin in January 2022.
Race / Ethnicity
- Tattooed arms
- Deep-set eyes
Darwin Núñez Facts
- He was born into a poor family.
- Until he was scouted by former Uruguay international José Perdomo when Núñez was 14 years old, he played for local clubs La Luz and San Miguel. He subsequently shifted to Montevideo to join Peñarol.
- Darwin Núñez suffered a cruciate ligament injury at 17. The injury required two operations and he was ruled out for over a year. During this phase, his older brother quit the club and gave up the sport in order to help with their family’s finances and told Darwin “you’re better suited than me”.
- On November 22, 2017, he made his first-team debut with Peñarol in the Primera División as a second-half substitute for Peñarol‘s Maxi Rodríguez in a 2–1 away loss against River Plate Montevideo.
- On October 13, 2018, he scored his first professional goal with the opener in a 2–0 home win for Peñarol over Centro Atlético Fénix.
- He was part of the Uruguay national under-20 football team squad which finished 3rd in the 2019 South American U-20 Championship.
- In Peñarol‘s 4–0 victory against Boston River on July 14, 2019, Darwin Núñez scored a hat-trick.
- In August 2019, he signed a 5-year contract (for a rumored club record fee of US$4.5 million plus $1.5 million in variables) with Spanish Segunda División club Almería.
- On October 3, 2019, he debuted with Almería as a half-time substitute in a 4–2 league defeat against Sporting Gijón.
- Darwin Núñez scored his first goal for Almería on October 27, 2019, in a 3–2 home win against Extremadura with a penalty.
- He signed a 5-year contract with Portuguese club Benfica on September 4, 2020, and was paid a club record fee of €24 million. The deal marked Almeria‘s and the Segunda División’s biggest transfer.
- He made his debut for Benfica by replacing Pedro Victor Delmino da Silva (also known as Pedrinho) in the 65th minute of the game in a 2–1 loss against PAOK for the 2020–21 UEFA Champions League third qualifying round.
- He scored his first goal for Benfica on October 22, 2020, with a hat-trick against Lech Poznań in a 4–2 away victory in a 2020–21 UEFA Europa League group stage match. He scored his first Primeira Liga goal in a 2–0 home victory over B SAD on October 26.
- He underwent surgery for an injury on his right knee in May 2021.
- With Benfica, Darwin Núñez went on to score his first two Champions League goals in a 3–0 home victory over Barcelona on September 29, 2021 and was named man of the match.
- In June 2022, he signed a deal with Premier League club Liverpool for £64 million, with add-ons potentially taking the overall fee to £85 million at a later date. This made him Liverpool‘s record transfer.
- Following a preseason friendly game against RB Leipzig on July 21, 2022, he made his competitive debut for Liverpool in the club’s 3–1 win over Manchester City in the FA Community Shield at the King Power Stadium on July 30, 2022.
- He was part of Uruguay’s squad for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
- He speaks both Spanish and Portuguese.
Featured Image by Steffen Prößdorf / Self-photographed / CC BY-SA 4.0