|David Burtka Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10½ in|
|Date of Birth||May 29, 1975|
|Spouse||Neil Patrick Harris|
David Burtka is an American actor, writer, singer, and professional chef best known for his guest role in CSI: NY and for the role of ‘Scooter’ in How I Met Your Mother. He has also won the Clarence Derwent Award for the most promising male performer for his performance as ‘Boy’ in “The Play About the Baby” by Edward Albee. He has a huge social media fan base with more than 500k followers on Instagram and more than 200k followers on Twitter.
David Michael Burtka
Dearborn, Michigan, United States
New York City, New York, United States
David graduated from Salem High School in 1993. Burtka obtained his Bachelor of Fine Arts from the University of Michigan. He graduated from Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Pasadena in 2009.
David trained as an actor at the Interlochen Center for the Arts in Northwest Michigan. He also trained in acting at the William Esper Studios in Manhattan, New York.
Actor, Chef, Singer
- Father – Daniel Burtka
- Mother – Deborah A. Zajas (d. 2008)
- Siblings – Jennifer Burtka (Older Sister)
- Others – Walter Joseph Burtka (Paternal Grandfather), Genevieve Bialy (Paternal Grandmother), Theodore S. Zajas (Maternal Grandfather), Eleanore/Eleanor B. Szczesny (Maternal Grandmother)
David Burtka is represented by Innovative Artists (Talent Agency).
He has released his music with Nerdist Channel, LLC.
5 ft 10½ in or 179 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
David Burtka has dated –
- Lane Anthony Janger (1994-2004) – Independent producer, director, writer, and actor Lance Janger started dating David in 1994. They were in a relationship for 10 years and split in 2004. David helped raise Lane’s two children. However, they are not David’s children biologically.
- Neil Patrick Harris (2004-Present) – Actor, singer, writer, and producer Neil Patrick Harris and David started dating in 2004. In October 2010, the happily engaged gay couple had twins, daughter Harper Grace Burtka Harris and son Gideon Scott Burtka Harris (b. October 2010) via a surrogate mother but still kept their engagement a secret until the passing of the Marriage Equality Act in New York. On September 6, 2014, they finally tied the knot together.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Polish descent.
As he has grown older, his hair color has changed to ‘Salt and Pepper’.
- Broad smile
- Green eyes
Burtka has appeared in a commercial for Christianmingle.com.
Best Known For
- Making his guest appearance as David King on CSI: NY in 2007
- Playing the role of a drug smuggler posing as Neil’s life partner on A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (2011)
- Appearing as himself on Neil’s Puppet Dreams (2012)
- His Food Network Special, Life is a Party with David Burtka. This won a Telly Award and 1st Prize at the New York Film and TV Awards.
As a Singer
- David and Neil sang a duet from Rent at the LGBT Community Centre in New York in February 2009.
- David performed and wrote the song My Calypso Dream for Neil’s Puppet Dreams in 2013.
In 1999, David Burtka made his theatrical film debut in 24 Nights which had Kevin Isola in the lead role.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance on The West Wing in 2002.
He likes to go adventuring and has been spotted on many occasions going to the gym with husband Neil Harris.
David Burtka Favorite Things
- Adventure – He loves to hike, kayak, pitch, tent, and camp.
- Enjoyment – Love notes, cool costumes, and having a fun time with his kids
David Burtka Facts
- In order to become a professional chef, David made the choice to quit acting.
- Neil and David share the same shoe size.
- David is referred to as ‘Daddy’ and Neil is referred to as ‘Papa’ by their children.
- On David and Neil’s first date, David took Neil to watch the movie Taking Lives starring Angelina Jolie.
- David took his training from chef Mario Batali at his New York restaurant and also from chef and author Gina DePalma.
- In 2010, Burtka started an L.A. based company called Gourmet M.D. with his classmate, Molly Hanisee from Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts Pasadena.
- Visit his official website @ gourmetmdcatering.com.
- Follow David on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by jjduncan_80 / Flickr / CC BY-2.0