David Luiz Moreira Marinho
The Geezer, The Sheriff, Sideshow Bob
Diadema, Sao Paulo, Brazil
David Luiz was born in a lower-middle-class household in an obscure Sao Paulo municipality, due to which information about his early education isn’t available.
However, he joined the Sao Paulo FC youth academy at the age of nine. It is not known whether academy looked after his education as well. However, it didn’t work for him as he was dropped at the age of 14 due to his small and fragile frame.
He then joined Salvador club Vitória youth academy, where he continued his football education and eventually made it to the first team.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Ladislao (Former Amateur Player and School Teacher)
- Mother – Regina Marinho (School Teacher)
- Siblings – Isabelle Moreira Marinho (Sister)
Kia Joorabchian of Euro Export Assessoria E Propaganda LTDA.
On some occasions, he has played as a defensive midfielder as well.
At SL Benfica, he wore 23 number shirt.
During his first stint with Chelsea, he wore number 4 shirt. He has taken number 30 shirt for his time at the English Club during the 2016-2017 season. He wears the same shirt number for Brazil national team.
While at French club Paris Saint-Germain, he took number 32 jersey.
6 ft 2½ in or 189 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
David Luiz has dated –
- Sara Madeira (2010-2016) – David Luiz first met Portuguese beauty Sara Madeira while he was playing for SL Benfica. They initially met through a common friend and soon started spending time together. Since then, they have got engaged and Sara has been a constant presence at David’s games. They often visit their relatives and friends together. However, marriage certainly is not on their cards as David’s mother has forbidden him to marry until he is 30 years old. She has even claimed that if it was in her hands, she would want his son to get married after retirement. It seems they split and called off their engagement in 2016.
Race / Ethnicity
- Imposing stature
- Voluminous curly hair
David Luiz’s body specification may be –
- Chest – 42 in or 107 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 14 in or 35.6 cm
- Waist – 33 in or 84 cm
David Luiz’s shoe size isn’t available.
David Luiz is one of the most famous Brazilian footballers, which has helped him charge huge fees for his commercial appearances. He has lucrative endorsement deals with Pepsi and Nike.
These brands used David heavily in the run-up to the 2014 Brazil World Cup. During World Cup, he also did some lucrative ambassadorial work for Brazilian brands, ranging from hair products company to a local airline.
Best Known For
- Winning Champions League with Chelsea in the 2011-2012 season
- Voluminous and curly long hair
- Risky defensive play, which often sees him dribbling past strikers in his own penalty area
- Playful and comic behavior
- Blessing his teammates before the match
First Soccer Match
On March 8, 2007, David made his debut for SL Benfica against Paris Saint-Germain at the Parc des Princes in a UEFA Cup tie, which Portuguese side lost 2-1.
His first match for the English club Chelsea FC was against Liverpool at the Stamford Bridge on February 6, 2016. He came on for Jose Bosingwa in a 0-1 home loss.
Luiz first lined up for French club Paris Saint-Germain in the Ligue 1 in a 2-0 win against Bastia at the Parc des Princes on June 16, 2014.
His first international match for Brazil was a friendly match against United States on August 10, 2010.
- Aerial Prowess
- Surging runs from defense
- Free Kicks
- Long Distance Shots
- Lack of tactical discipline
- Concedes too many fouls
- Loses focus
His first movie appearance was in 2014 in There is No Tomorrow, in which he appeared as himself. It was though a TV movie documentary.
First TV Show
David Luiz’s first TV appearance was in talk show Fama Show in 2009 as a guest appearance in just one episode dated November 22, 2009.
Information on David Luiz’s personalized workout routine and diet plan isn’t available.
David Luiz Favorite Things
- Food – Tropical Fruit Salad
- Car – Bentley
- Place – Legoland Theme Park
- Player – Kaka
Source – Goal, DailyMail UK, Wikipedia
David Luiz Facts
- David is a devout Christian. On May 22, 2015, he got baptized in his PSG teammate Maxwell’s swimming pool by Pentecostal Hillsong Church foundation.
- He is associated with the Atletas de Cristo (Athletes of Christ), which is a non-profit organization that was founded in Brazil in 1984 and is made up of sportsmen, including soccer stars Kaka and Lucio.
- Before Chelsea’s UEFA Champions League match against Racing Genk in October 2011, he was seen blessing Fernando Torres on the field by placing his hand on the striker’s head and murmuring the prayer.
- He loves to travel and his social media feed is littered with his and girlfriend Sara’s photographs of visiting different places.
- He loves playing football games FIFA and PES and regularly shares tips and his experience with his fans on Twitter.
- In his social media posts, he often refers to himself as a geezer. He also refers to his fans as geezers. Basically, he claims that if you are happy, you are a geezer.
- His father used to play as a playmaker for Brazilian team Atletico Mineiro, but he had to drop out to look after his wife and kids.
- For his risky style of play, Gary Neville claimed that David plays like a PlayStation player, who is controlled by a ten-year-old kid.
- He started his career as a left midfielder and had modeled his game on his idol Ricardo Kaka.
- When he was 16 years old, his club team needed a defender and he made a tactical switch.
- He was dropped by Sao Paulo academy as he hadn’t shown too much physical development. Considering his stature and physique, it is hard to believe he was considered too small and fragile.
- While playing for Vitória in Bahia, David met his family only twice in space of two and a half years due to financial constraints.
- When he moved to Paris Saint-Germain from Chelsea in June 2014, he became world’s most expensive defender, when he was sold by the English club for steep 50 million pounds.
- He was named the Portuguese Liga Player of the Year at the end of 2009-2010 season, leading the Benfica team to the first league title after five years and they also claimed the domestic cup.
- David Luiz endeared himself to Chelsea fans with a heroic performance in the 2011-2012 Champions League final against Bayern Munich by playing on despite severe cramps due to which he couldn’t stand properly, but he still managed to score his penalty in the shootout.
- He courted controversy while playing against Manchester United on May 5, 2013, after he was pictured smiling while pretending to be in pain from Rafael’s foul, which led to Manchester United’s dismissal.
- After the November 2015 terror attack, Luiz expressed his reluctance in writing to his club after international duty. He even claimed that if it was up to him, he wouldn’t return.
- The Brazilian defender is also famous for his resemblance to the Sideshow Bob character from the famous American animated series The Simpsons.
- He was Brazil’s captain in 2014 World Cup semifinal against Germany, which they lost 7-1. Luiz was seen crying and apologizing to fans after the match.
- Brazilian born Luiz also holds Portuguese citizenship, which he acquired while playing for Benfica.
- He was approached by Portugal football association to represent them at the international stage. However, he chose the country of his birth.
- Connect with David Luiz on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.