|Debra Messing Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||August 15, 1968|
Debra Messing has been nominated for tons of awards for Will & Grace and won some of those. She has appeared in over 200 episodes in the show. For the 2008 film The Women, she was also nominated for the Golden Raspberry Worst Actress Award in 2009.
Debra Lynn Messing
Brooklyn, New York, United States
She divides her time between New York City and Los Angeles.
Debra Messing went to the East Greenwich High School. Upon high school graduation, she got enrolled at the Brandeis University on her parents’ advice, who felt she should complete her education before pursuing acting full time.
She graduated summa cum laude from the university in 1990 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in theatre arts. In her junior year at the university, Debra got an opportunity to study theatre in British European Studies Group of London (BESGL) program.
She later got into Graduate Acting Program with New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts. The elite acting program only accepts 15 students every year. She graduated three years later with a Master of Fine Arts.
- Father – Brian Messing (Worked as a sales executive for a costume jewelry packaging manufacturer)
- Mother – Sandra Messing (Banker, travel and real estate agent, and a professional singer)
- Siblings – Brett Messing (Older Brother)
- Others – Alfred Simons (Maternal Grandfather), Tinnie Simons (Maternal Grandmother)
Debra Messing is represented by Beverly Hills based 3 Arts Entertainment.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Debra Messing has dated
- Daniel Zelman (1990-2011) – Debra first met screenwriter and actor Daniel Zelman on their very first day at the New York University as graduate students in 1990. After dating for nearly a decade, they got married in September 2000 and started living in Manhattan. In April 2004, she gave birth to their son, Roman Walker Zelman. In December 2011, they decided to separate. In June 2012, Debra officially filed for divorce. The divorce was eventually formalized in March 2016.
- Will Chase (2011-2014) – Messing started dating actor Will Chase towards the end of 2011. They had grown pretty fond of each other while working together in the show, Their romance was made public just 9 days after she had confirmed that she had separated from her husband. In October 2014, she released an official statement revealing that they had called time on their relationship. In the statement, she refused to reveal the cause of their breakup but stated that they remained good friends.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Russian and Polish ancestry.
Dark Brown (Natural)
But, she is best known for the auburn hue of her locks.
- Coppery hair
- High cheekbones
Debra Messing has appeared in the TV adverts for the following –
- Clairol’s Nice ‘n Easy hair color
- Clairol Herbal Essence Shampoo
- Meaningful Beauty
- Joyful Heart Foundation
She has also appeared in an infomercial for Meaningful Beauty – Advance anti-aging skin care system. The infomercial was hosted by Cindy Crawford, who had created Meaningful Beauty brand.
Debra Messing practices Judaism. She has had a Bar Mitzvah ceremony.
Best Known For
- Being cast in the role of Grace Adler in the popular NBC sitcom, Will & Grace. For her stellar performance in the show, she won 5 Primetime Emmy Award nominations and 6 Golden Globe Award nominations. She managed to win an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series.
- Having played the role of Molly Kagan in the romantic comedy miniseries, The Starter Wife.
- Having appeared in successful movies such as A Walk in the Clouds, Along Came Polly, and The Wedding Date.
In 1995, Debra made her theatrical film debut in the romantic comedy movie, A Walk in the Clouds, which had Keanu Reeves in the leading role.
First TV Show
In 1994, Debra Messing made her first TV show appearance in the police procedural TV show, NYPD Blue.
Although she does work out, Debra isn’t too crazy about hitting the gym. She finds it difficult to sustain grueling fitness regime while balancing her work and motherhood. Instead, she relies on a healthy diet to keep her weight under control.
Also, the number of allergies she has been diagnosed with makes it important for her role to keep a tight leash on her diet. She has to stay away from gluten, dairy, and butter. However, she can have feta and goat cheese. But, she has to steer clear of chicken, mushrooms, and white fish. Debra also can’t eat broccoli, cauliflower, yogurt, beans, and regular cheese.
Debra Messing Favorite Things
- Food – Turkey breast, cucumber, quinoa, avocados, strawberries, bananas, and blueberries
- Juice – Celery cucumber juice
- Typical Bar Order – Straight tequila with lime juice
- TV Guilty Pleasure – The Real Housewives of Atlanta
- Junk Food – French Fries
- Comedy Movie – Home Alone (1990)
- Pizza Topping – Pepperoni
- Emoji – Two hands joined in prayer
Source – Gluten Free And More, BuzzFeed
Debra Messing Facts
- While studying at East Greenwich High School, she participated in many high school productions, including bagging the lead role in classics such as Grease and Annie.
- In 1986, she managed to win Rhode Island’s Junior Miss competition, which made her eligible for a competition held for America’s Junior Miss scholarship program.
- In 2002, Debra was included in the list featuring “50 Most Beautiful People”, which was compiled by the People Magazine.
- She managed to overcome competition from Nicollette Sheridan in the final audition round for the role of Grace Adler on Will & Grace.
- If she hadn’t become an actress, she would have loved to become a litigator.
- While studying at the New York University, she took circus courses such as juggling and trapeze as part of her curriculum.
- In 2011, the TV Guide placed her on the 22nd spot in the list featuring Funniest Women on TV.
- In 2003, the TV Guide declared her the best-dressed woman of the year.
- She identifies herself as a staunch democrat.
- In her free time, she enjoys gambling. She especially loves playing blackjack.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Google+.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0