|Diego Maradona Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||October 30, 1960|
|Date of Death||November 25, 2020|
Diego Maradona was an Argentine professional footballer and football manager who is widely regarded as one of the greatest football players of all time while many regard him as the greatest footballer ever. He gained acclaim with his stint with Napoli and Barcelona and had also played for Argentinos Juniors, Boca Juniors, Sevilla, and Newell’s Old Boys. The Konex Foundation from Argentina honored him with the Diamond Konex Award, one of the most prestigious culture awards in Argentina, in 1990.
Diego Armando Maradona
El Diez, Diegote, Pelusa, Dieguito, D10S, Barrilete, Cósmico, El 10, El Pibe de Oro (The Golden Boy), Hand of God
He was born on October 30, 1960.
On November 25, 2020, Diego Maradona died of a heart attack at the age of 60 at his home in Tigre, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Policlínico (Polyclinic) Evita Hospital, Lanús, Buenos Aires, Argentina
He began his soccer education at an amateur club Estrella Roja. Eventually, he was spotted by a talent scout working for the Argentine giants Argentinos Juniors. At the age of 8, he was selected in the junior team of a Buenos Aires-based club, which was better known as Los Cebollitas (The Little Onions).
Former Professional Soccer Player, Football Manager, Spiritual Coach, Television Personality
- Father – Diego Maradona “Chitoro”
- Mother – Dalma Salvadora Franco ‘Doña Tota’
- Siblings – Rita Maradona (Sister), Anna Maria Maradona (Sister), Elsa Maradona (Sister), Maria Rose Maradona (Sister), Claudia Maradona (Sister), Raúl Maradona (Younger Brother) (Former Soccer Professional Player), Hugo Maradona (Younger Brother) (Former Soccer Professional Player, Soccer Coach)
- Others – Atanancio Ramón Edisto Franco (Maternal Grandfather), Salvadora Kariolić/Cariolichi (Maternal Grandmother), Hernán López (Great-Nephew) (Professional Footballer)
He was formerly represented by Jon Smith.
However, later his ex-wife Claudia started representing him.
Attacking Midfielder, Support Striker
He wore a #10 shirt while playing for Boca Juniors, Barcelona, Argentina National team, and Napoli.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Diego Maradona had dated –
- Lucía Galán (1982-1983) – Diego Maradona started going out with singer Lucía Galán in 1982 just after securing his move to Barcelona. However, this affair fizzled out in 1983, when Maradona expressed his wish to return to his former girlfriend Claudia.
- Claudia Villafañe (1981-2004) – Maradona and Claudia were childhood sweethearts and were rumored to have met at a private party. Maradona had put this relationship on hold in 1982 after moving to Barcelona. However, they eventually united and got married on November 7, 1984. Their first daughter Dalma Nerea was born on April 2, 1987, and their second daughter Gianinna Dinorah was born on May 16, 1989. Diego remained unfaithful to Claudia even after getting married and they eventually divorced in 2004.
- Cristina Sinagra (1985) – Diego had a fling with Cristina in 1985. Maradona, who was playing for Napoli met Cristina at a golf tournament. The fling resulted in the birth of a son, Diego Junior, whom Maradona met for the first time in 2003.
- Valeria Sabalain (1995) – Diego met Valeria in 1995 in a nightclub, where she used to work as a barwoman. They had a very short-lived fling, which resulted in a daughter, Jana. Valeria filed a paternity suit in 2007 against Maradona, which she eventually won.
- Silvina Luna (2005) – After separating from Claudia, Maradona had a brief affair with Argentine actress Silvina Luna. Although they never confirmed their relationship in the press, they were still spotted getting close at a number of parties.
- Wanda Nara (2006) – Diego reportedly dated model and TV presenter Wanda Nara in 2006.
- Belén Francese (2006) – It was RUMORed that he had an encounter with glamor model Belén Francese in the year 2006.
- Evangelina Anderson (2006) – In 2006, it was also RUMORed that he had a fling with actress and glamor model Evangelina Anderson.
- Veronica Ojeda (2013) – Veronica and Diego started dating each other in 2013 after meeting through mutual friends. Veronica gave birth to Diego’s youngest child, a boy in 2013. However, Diego didn’t even bother to turn up for Veronica’s delivery.
- Rocio Oliva (2013-2018) – Diego started dating Rocio Oliva, a former soccer player in 2013. It was rumored that at the same time, he was sleeping with Veronica. In February 2014, they got engaged in Rome on the eve of Valentine’s Day. However, they eventually grew apart and separated in 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Hispanic and White)
He was of Argentinian (Italian, Spanish, Croatian, Indigenous) descent.
- Trimmed Beard
- Long Curly Locks
- Rotund Belly
- Numerous Tattoos
Diego has a long-standing brand endorsement deal with Puma.
In 2010, he was signed on by the luxury watch brand Hublot as a brand ambassador.
Later, he signed a deal with the Indian jewelry brand Chemmanur International Jewellers.
He was raised in a Roman Catholic household.
Best Known For
- Having been one of the best soccer players
- Leading Argentina to the World Cup glory
- His legendary status with Napoli and Argentina fans
- His infamous hand of God goal against England in the 1986 World Cup quarter-final win
First Soccer Match
Maradona played his professional match for Argentinos Juniors on October 20, 1976, just ten days before his 16th birthday.
He made his debut for the Boca Juniors on February 22, 1981, against Talleres de Córdoba. He went on to score twin in 4-1 victory.
On February 27, 1977, he made his international debut for Argentina in a friendly match against Hungary.
On September 16, 1984, he made his first appearance for the Italian club Napoli against Hellas Verona in a 3-1 away loss.
- Long Shots
- Free Kicks
- Ball Control
- Lack of focus
- Poor discipline
As an actor, he made his first film appearance in the musical comedy Qué linda es mi familia! as himself in 1980.
First TV Show
Apart from soccer matches, his first TV appearance was in the comedy show Supermingo in 1986 in the very first three episodes.
Diego Maradona Favorite Things
- Players – Rivelino and George Best
- Team – Boca Juniors
Diego Maradona Facts
- His second goal against England in the quarter-final of the 1986 World Cup, which involved dribbling past five players over 66 yards, was declared the goal of the century by voters on FIFA.com in 2002.
- When he was 12 years old, he used to showcase his skills and tricks with the ball during the halftime break of the Argentine first division matches.
- Such was his love for Boca Juniors that he rejected River Plate’s offer to make him the highest-paid player at the age of 21 when he was leaving Argentinos Juniors.
- He was the first Barcelona player to get an ovation from fierce rival Real Madrid’s fans at Santiago Bernabéu stadium. Only Ronaldinho and Iniesta are other players to get this respect.
- When he moved to Napoli in July 1984, his transfer fees of $10.48 million made him the most expensive player in the world at that time.
- During his time in Naples, he led his club to two Serie A titles, which have been the only league titles they have won in their history.
- Diego Maradona held the record of being the highest goal scorer for Napoli. He scored 115 goals across all competitions for the club.
- In 2000, he was declared FIFA player of the century and was included in FIFA World Cup all-time team in 1994.
- He won the coveted world soccer player of the year award in 1986.
- He held the distinction of being declared Argentine Football Writers’ Footballer of the Year on four occasions – 1979, 1980, 1981, and 1986.