|Dorothy Hamill Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||July 26, 1956|
Dorothy Hamill is a former American figure skater who had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 1971 Grand Prix International St. Gervais, the 1971 Nebelhorn Trophy, the 1972 Prague Skate Championship, the 1972 Richmond Trophy, the U.S. Figure Skating Championships (1974-1976), the 1976 Winter Olympics, and the 1976 World Championships in the ladies’ singles events. She had also won the ‘Silver’ medal at both the 1974 and 1975 World Championships. She is widely credited with the invention of the ‘Hamill Camel’, a skating move where a camel spin turns into a sit spin. Dorothy had retired from the amateur tier of the sport in 1976 but had continued participating in sanctioned/unsanctioned professional events for quite a few more years winning the World Professional Figure Skating Championships for 4 years in a row (1984-1987). She was inducted into the ‘United States Figure Skating Hall of Fame’ in 1991 and the ‘World Figure Skating Hall of Fame’ in 2000.
Dorothy Stuart Hamill
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Dorothy had graduated from Colorado Academy, a college preparatory day school in Denver, Colorado.
Figure Skater (Retired)
- Father – Chalmers ‘Chalm’ Hamill (Mechanical Engineer)
- Mother – Carolyn ‘Carol’ Hamill
- Siblings – Sandy Hamill (Older Brother), Marcia Hamill (Older Sister)
- Others – Alexander Martin (Ex-Stepson) (Actor), Dean Martin (Ex-Father-in-Law) (Singer, Actor, Recording Artist, Comedian) (d. December 25, 1995), Jeanne Biegger (Ex-Mother-in-Law), Jennifer Forsythe (Ex-Stepdaughter), Daniel Forsythe (Ex-Stepson)
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Dorothy has dated –
- Dean Paul Martin (1976–1983) – Dorothy began dating American pop singer and actor Dean Paul Martin in 1976 and they got married on January 8, 1982. They had parted ways in December 1983.
- Kenneth Forsythe (1987–1995) – She married Kenneth Forsythe on March 5, 1987, and they have a daughter together named Alexandra ‘Alex’ Forsythe (b. 1988). They got divorced in 1995.
- John MacColl (2009-Present) – Dorothy got married to John MacColl on November 21, 2009.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of American descent.
- Toned physique
- Charming smile
- Radiant face
- Center-parted, neck-length hair
Dorothy has been featured in the print and TV commercials for –
- Healthy Choice Cold Cuts and Deli-Thin Sliced Meats (1992) (Print)
- ChapStick (2001) (TV/Print)
- Merck’s VIOXX prescription arthritis medication (2001-2003) (Print)
- Love, Help, and Hope jewelry collection (2010) (TV)
- sitNcycle fitness equipment (2013) (TV)
- Crepe-Erase skin-care system (2015) (TV)
- Crepe-Erase skin cream (2018) (TV)
- Aetna Medicare (2020) (TV)
- Clairol Short ‘n’ Sassy conditioner (TV)
Dorothy Hamill Facts
- Born in Chicago, Dorothy’s family had moved to Greenwich, Connecticut, just after her birth. A town-owned facility in Greenwich was later named the ‘Dorothy Hamill Skating Rink’ in her honor. She was inducted into the ‘Connecticut Women’s Hall of Fame’ in 2007.
- Her autobiography titled On and Off the Ice was published in 1983. She had released a 2nd autobiography titled A Skating Life: My Story in 2007.
- She had revealed in an interview that she had battled depression for much of her adult life and used to manage it through medication. In 2008, she was diagnosed with breast cancer.
- She had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 1976 Winter Olympics without performing a triple jump. As of December 2020, no other figure skater thereafter had managed that feat.
Featured Image by Dorothy Hamill / Instagram