|Eazy-E Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2½ in|
|Date of Birth||September 7, 1964|
|Date of Death||March 26, 1995|
Eazy-E was an American rapper, songwriter, record producer, and entrepreneur who was the leader of the hip hop group N.W.A whose members were among the earliest and most significant popularizers and controversial figures of the gangsta rap subgenre. N.W.A was ranked at number #83 by Rolling Stone on its list of the “100 Greatest Artists of All Time”. In 1987, Eazy-E founded the record label Ruthless Records.
Eric Lynn Wright
Eazy-E, The Godfather Of Gangsta Rap, Tha Hip Hop Thugsta
He was born on September 7, 1964.
On March 26, 1995, he died due to complications from AIDS at the age of 30 in Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, United States.
Rose Hills Memorial Park, Whittier, Los Angeles County, California, United States
Compton, Los Angeles County, California, United States
Eazy-E studied at Compton High School but dropped out. He later received a general equivalency diploma (GED).
Rapper, Songwriter, Record Producer, Entrepreneur
- Father – Richard Wright (Postal Worker)
- Mother – Kathie Wright (Grade-School Administrator)
Eazy-E was managed by Jerry Heller.
Hip-Hop, Gangsta Rap
Vocals, Drums, Piano
Ruthless Records, Priority Records, Relativity Records, Epic Records
According to his son Lil Eazy-E, Eazy-E was worth an estimated US$50 million at the time of his death.
5 ft 2½ in or 158.5 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Eazy-E had dated –
- Tracy Jernagin – He was romantically involved with Tracy Jernagin and they had a daughter named Erin Bria. Erin legally changed her name to Ebie.
- Tomica Woods (1991-1995) – In the year 1991, he met Tomica Woods at a Los Angeles nightclub and they got married in 1995, twelve days before his death. They had a son named Dominick and a daughter named Daijah (born 6 months after Wright’s death). After his death, Tomica took over Ruthless Records.
Note – According to Jerry Heller, Wright had 11 children (including Eric Darnell Wright (known as Lil Eazy-E) who was born on April 23, 1984) with 8 different women.
Race / Ethnicity
Eazy-E was of African-American descent.
- Short height
- Always wore dark sunglasses
- Wore a black Compton hat
- He was born in a Los Angeles suburb that was once noted for high crime rates and gang culture and growing up, Eazy-E supported himself mainly by selling drugs. He was labeled as a “dope dealer” and “thug”.
- His manager Jerry Heller once stated: “The hood where he grew up was a dangerous place. He was a small guy. ‘Thug’ was a role that was widely understood on the street; it gave you a certain level of protection in the sense that people hesitated to f*ck with you. Likewise, ‘dope dealer’ was a role that accorded you certain privileges and respect.”
- Eazy-E decided to give up his illicit dealing after his cousin was shot and killed.
- On November 23, 1988, he released his debut solo studio album titled Eazy-Duz-It, widely regarded as one of the greatest gangsta rap albums. Daniel Kreps of the Los Angeles Times called it a “solo masterpiece,” and said that it was evidence that Eazy was one of the best rappers ever. The album was certified ‘2× Platinum’ by the United States (RIAA).
- Some of Eazy-E’s musical influences included Ice-T, Redd Foxx, King Tee, Bootsy Collins, Run–D.M.C., Richard Pryor, Egyptian Lover, Schoolly D, Too $hort, Prince, the Sugarhill Gang, and George Clinton.
- He supported various children’s charities such as the Make A Wish Foundation and Athletes and Entertainers for Kids.
- Eazy-E was buried in a gold casket and was dressed in a flannel shirt, jeans, and his Compton hat.
Featured Image by Edward Reyes / Flickr / CC BY 2.0