|Eddie Izzard Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||February 7, 1962|
Eddie Izzard is an English stand-up comedian, actor, writer, and political activist who is best known as one of the greatest stand-up comedians of her era. She has also played lead or supporting characters in numerous films, TV films, and TV series. In March 2007, she was placed at number 3 in a list of the ‘100 Greatest British National Comedians’ compiled by the British television station Channel 4. In 2017, she had published a book titled Believe Me: A Memoir of Love, Death, and Jazz Chickens.
Edward John Izzard
Victoria, City of Westminster, London, England, United Kingdom
Eddie had attended St. John’s School in Porthcawl, Mid Glamorgan, and the Bede’s School in Eastbourne, East Sussex. She had later studied at Eastbourne College and The University of Sheffield.
Stand-up Comedian, Actor, Writer, Political Activist
- Father – Harold John Michael Izzard (Accountant) (d. 2018)
- Mother – Dorothy Ella Izzard (Midwife, Nurse) (d. 1968)
- Siblings – Mark Izzard (Older Brother)
Surreal Humor, Improvisational Comedy, Observational Comedy, Physical Comedy
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Eddie has dated –
- Sarah Townsend (1999-2002)
Race / Ethnicity
She is of English and distant French Huguenot descent.
She often tends to dye her hair blonde.
- Ever-changing hairstyle
- Penchant for cross-dressing
- Stocky frame
- Affable smile
Eddie Izzard Facts
- Eddie’s father was working in Aden, Yemen, with British Petroleum, at the time of Izzard’s birth. A year later, the family had moved to Northern Ireland, and 4 years later, they had relocated to Wales. Her mother died of cancer a year later. While she was ill and undergoing treatment, Eddie and her older brother Mark had built a model railway to occupy their time. It was donated to Bexhill Museum in 2016.
- Eddie had come out as being a transvestite in 1985, identifying as a ‘straight transgender’ and a ‘wannabe lesbian’. She had stated that she knew she was a transgender person from the age of 4 when she had watched a boy being forced to wear a dress by his sisters. In 2020, Eddie had stated a preference for she/her pronouns, identifying as ‘genderfluid’.
- In 2009, she had managed the incredible feat of completing 43 marathons in 51 days, for charitable purposes, without any past experience of long-distance running.
- She is dyslexic.
- She is a lifelong supporter of English professional soccer club Crystal Palace F.C. and had become an associate director there in July 2012.
- She speaks both and French and German with such fluency and proficiency that she has managed to perform several stand-up comedy shows entirely in those languages.
- She was conferred with an honorary doctorate of letters by the University of East Anglia (UEA) in 2003, an honorary doctorate by the University of Sunderland in 2012, and an honorary doctorate of letters by York St. John University in 2018.
- In February 2013, she was honored with the ‘Outstanding Lifetime Achievement Award in Cultural Humanism’ presented annually at Harvard University by the Humanist Community at Harvard, the American Humanist Association, and the Harvard Community of Humanists, Atheists, and Agnostics.
Featured Image by Eddie Izzard / Twitter