|Flying Lotus Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||October 7, 1983|
Flying Lotus is an American record producer, DJ, rapper and songwriter who shot to fame after releasing several critically acclaimed albums such as Until the Quiet Comes (2012) and dropping a number of EPs like Cosmogramma Alt Takes (2011). He has performed as a rapper under the stage name Captain Murphy and recorded various mixtapes including Duality (2012), having produced it as well. He has provided the music for both films and TV shows, for instance, the original score for the movie Blade Runner Black Out 2022 (2017). Flying Lotus has received many awards including Grammy in 2021 for “Best Progressive R&B Album”. He has amassed more than 450k followers on Instagram.
Juno Leed, Captain Murphy, FlyLo
Los Angeles, California, United States
He went to Los Angeles Film School and Academy of Art University.
Record Producer, DJ, Rapper, Songwriter
- Others – Alice Coltrane (Great Aunt) (Late Jazz Pianist), John Coltrane (Great Uncle) (Jazz Musician), Marilyn McLeod (Grandmother) (Singer-Songwriter), Ravi Coltrane (Cousin) (Musician)
Electronic, Experimental, Jazz Rap, Hip Hop, IDM, Wonky, Progressive Hip Hop
Vocals, Turntable, Keyboard, Synthesizer
- Warp Records
- Plug Research
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Cameroonian and Tikar descent.
He often tends to dye his hair in different shades.
- Afro hairstyle
- Prominent Adam’s apple
- Tall stature
He has appeared in commercials for a number of brands such as Apple Music (2015).
Flying Lotus Favorite Things
- Film – Enter the Void
Source – Self-Titled Mag
Flying Lotus Facts
- He hails from Los Angeles.
- His moniker Flying Lotus had been inspired by lucid dreaming.
- Flying Lotus has recalled that he had a cousin who owned some anime films on VHS. They used to be stacked up on one other with the pictures appearing to be strange. They had watched them including ones named Akira, Fist of the North Star and Wicked City, and his cousin had declared that they were not meant for kids. Flying Lotus was around 12 years old at the time, getting his mind blown seeing the kind of volatile and weird matter, and falling in love with the genre that he found fascinating.
- He was the founder of the record label Brainfeeder.
- Flying Lotus has recollected that during the making of the soundtrack album Yasuke (2021) and the original score for the series, he would only eat Japanese food, only watch samurai films, having been immersed deeply, as much as was possible while living in L.A.
- He has revealed that he has felt that many musicians are spiritual and have believed in God as when playing an instrument they have witnessed everything happening through them. They have started to watch the fingers, realizing that they are no longer doing it and a higher power has taken over.
- Flying Lotus has admitted to having often found it challenging to balance all his work, the social life usually having taken a hit when he has been in the lab for long hours.
- He has been extremely grateful to have music as his outlet as that has allowed him to ask a lot of questions with the work along with expressing things that he is otherwise unable to with the help of words or tears or anything else.
Featured Image by Flying Lotus / Instagram